Quitting smoking, need some encouragment!

Thanks folks. Im not using Chantix or anything. Im going to switch to Snus for a while to break the cycle of habits I've got associated with smoking (In the morning, after lunch, after PT, etc). Then just start using fewer and fewer. Hopefully I'll start to reap the benefits of increased lung function soon enough :thumbsup:

I'd suggest the route I took, which is (and this was some helpful advice from the quit meetings at the VA) switch to a lower level nicotine brand of cig first to start weaning ur body down to having a lower amount of it in your system and go from there. I switched from lights to ultra lights but kept the pack a day habit and slowly got my body used to having less nicotine in it. When quit day came I used the nicotine gum ( VA wouldn't give me chantix) for about a day, then next day I felt good enough in the morning to just go cold turkey the rest of the time, and here I am smoke free! Was drinking with my sister good last night and here in TX you can smoke in bars so the temptation was hitting hard but I resisted :)

I'd been on chantix before and aside from weird dreams never had any bad side effects. Only thing I was on that had bad side effects was some anti-depressant that they gave me cause they found it also helped in quitting smoking. My mood swings were like a roller coaster, I stopped that shit fast! Never have or will be a fan of mood stabilizers for any reason what so ever! Glad this helped inspire you Deathy! We're all here for ya!

Oh, also Deathy, if you use something like patch or gum, follow the directions and continue with it, don't do it one day and just quit. I know that's what I did and it worked for me but generally you wanna follow through with what the directions say. If you wanna go cold turkey that's awesome and it'll get the drug out of your system fast but the withdrawal is gonna suck no lie.

Yeah man, I "quit" for around 3 years in 2008, but started back up again last year. The withdrawls sucked but using the gum helped a lot.

Currently on 3 days of no smoking. Only using 3 pieces of the Snus stuff daily. Going to move down to 2 today.

Moved down to just one piece today. Feeling fine, cravings arent too bad. Im starting to get my smell back, and its strange how much you can smell cigarettes when they're smoked around you and you havent smoked for a while. Its a strange feeling indeed.

Going to go completely tobacco-free tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Wishing you luck, fortitude, and the knowledge that those who love you appreciate your decision. :bow:

Still no smokes, keep feeling like ricky bobby "I dunno what to do with my hands" lol which has led to lots of gum, sunflower seeds and toothpicks to keep my hands/mouth busy (no "that's what she said" jokes), so doing good!
Does that also cover any"Boon's mom said/Cback's mom said" comments?

Gum is the best. The corps has a thing against chewing gum in uniform, so don't tell anyone :ninja:
Besides, its for a good cause!

The Corps also has a thing against hands in pockets even when it's cold, facial hair even when it's within reg's, hair that's long even when it's in reg's, moto run's that NO ONE except the SgtMaj and BC ever wanna do, finding a way to make a proud name like "devil dog" be related to nothing more than a ass chewing....ya know I could go on lol!

First day of no tobacco went fine. Was on phone duty all day and didn't feel like killing anyone, so that's a positive. Today I'm a little irritated, but I managed to do a 1 hour class with the ANA without hitting anyone with a clipboard, so thats a big step! If day 3 goes well Im positive I can call this a wrap.

Back