Quitting smoking, need some encouragment!

The guy I mentioned, Thomas? Yeah, he's dead now. He died this afternoon, before I could make it from the Fayetteville airport to his house downtown. His wife? Never smoked, still alive & healthy. All of his old military friends that came by today to express condolences? Non-smokers, still kicking. Thomas? Hopelessly addicted to tobacco, smoked several packs a day for the whole time I knew him (since grade school), he's gone now. Wife without a husband, children without a father, grandchildren with one less grandparent, one less friend for the rest of us. Why? Cigarettes.

Stop fucking smoking.

Condolences Marauder, and yes I most certainly have. I figure my need for support is good and done with, so if I can what I'd like to do is possibly keep this thread going for ANYONE else wishing to quit smoking and needing the support/encouragement. I did it for a variety of reasons, including wanting to become better athletically so I can (one day) re-join the military and go SOF. What reasons others might have is their own, but if they wanna post em and get the encouragement that I received, I say good on em!

Mara, I am so sorry to hear about Thomas. Not being able to say goodbye is the hardest part, especially when you were so damned close to getting there. Prayers out to you, Thomas's family and friends.

Thanks everyone.

Thomas' real name is (was) Michael Thomas Warnock, Sr. I used his middle name here on the site as kind of a PERSEC thing, now that he's gone I feel comfortable using his real name.

Mike was career Army intel, served in a number of units including Delta and JSOC. I think he had a total of 40+ years of uniformed and civilian service. When he died he was a civilian employee of JSOC. Veteran of Somalia and many trips to Afghanistan. All around great guy, beloved by all. His obituary will probably make the Fayetteville paper tomorrow morning.

Really! Good on ya. Chantix does work, should you be thinking of going in that direction. It really does decrease the "rewards" of smoking; plus ya get to smoke for a while on the stuff. Keep us posted.

RF 1

OMG after seeing the commercial with the possible side effects for Chantix I'd personally never take it.

Good luck Deathy McDeath!

OMG after seeing the commercial with the possible side effects for Chantix I'd personally never take it.

Constipation; gas; headache; increased appetite; nausea; stomach upset; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vivid, strange, or unusual dreams; vomiting.

What? That's not so bad.

Oh wait,

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; chest pain; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood problems (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, nervousness, thoughts of hurting other people); persistent trouble sleeping; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent nausea; suicidal thoughts or actions; vision changes.

Chantrix: all of the side effects of a heroin addiction, with none of the buzz.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/chantix-side-effects.html

Still better than smoking.

Good luck Deathy McDeath!
The side effects are real, and should be something to look for. You will need an Rx from your doc. This is where you look at the risk benefit ratio of the medicine. I know of none who have noticed any side effects. I took the stuff myself many years ago and had no problems; listen to nothing the

Last edited:
A lot of yee know my view on smokes....Sorry to hear the bad news about your Friend Marauder06....

To me smoking is an archaic notion that should be banned full stop everywhere. Its purpose baffles me.

An ex-GF of mine started taking Chantix to stop smoking. That shit turned her damn near psychotic. Severe mood swings from euphoria to rage, clinical depression, and she couldn't sleep for shit thanks to the nightmares.

An ex-GF of mine started taking Chantix to stop smoking. That shit turned her damn near psychotic. Severe mood swings from euphoria to rage, clinical depression, and she couldn't sleep for shit thanks to the nightmares.

Sounds like "normal" female behavior to me... :-o

Deathy McDeath , keep us updated as well.
And good on ya!! :thumbsup:

Thanks folks. Im not using Chantix or anything. Im going to switch to Snus for a while to break the cycle of habits I've got associated with smoking (In the morning, after lunch, after PT, etc). Then just start using fewer and fewer. Hopefully I'll start to reap the benefits of increased lung function soon enough :thumbsup:

Back