School/Mass shootings are now part of our culture.

This trend of gunning down your school mates because they laughed at your hair one day is disturbing. I am beginning to believe there are adults who suck at parenting that are rearing these kids and feeding this behavior. Washington (aka really northern Ca) just busted up a plot as well. No amount of politics is going to stop this. It’s gun against gun now.

@Devildoc

You’ve have been an active part of this forum since 2015 and know damn well that referring to members of public office with disparaging names are a no-go.

Your response to my correcting a member who does not post often is out-of-line.
Been on here since 2008, and this is new to me... Members on here have been bashing government officials nonstop every since I joined this forum. So much so, that many of us, to include myself got pretty burned out on the political back and forth bullshit.

Now all the sudden there is some unwritten rule against calling them douce nozzles or ass monkey's?

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but what gives? When the rule change?

Also getting back to the subject at hand...

Arming teachers? Sure if they want to be and take the proper training to do so.

Armed guards or police (combat vets? WTF?)? Sure if it's in the budget.

More intensive student screening for social media threats? Alright sure, sounds great.

But what about taking these nuttbags and stuffing them into special schools, and getting them away from normal kids? What about kids with social and psychological health problems being segregated from our kids, so shit like this is actually avoidable?

I go to a large inner-city high school in a district of ~18,000 students. The district has a police department that works alongside the local PD. 3 officers are currently assigned to my school. None of them are in shape and they only get issued Glocks and pepper spray. They don't keep rifles on site (main hallway on all floors is a city block+ long) and they are just now contemplating getting tasers. Watching them try to break up fights or other confrontations is pretty discouraging. I know of several students that have been moved to alternative schools for making threats, but that doesn't really solve the root of the problem. Our security has gotten better this year, somewhat closing the campus, but it is still incredibly easy to get inside unnoticed, especially for students that come here everyday. The Parkland school only had 1 officer on campus and he wasn't able to confront the shooter before responding officers from what I have read.
The problem is my district, and I am sure hundreds of others, aren't taking these threats seriously enough.

@jackmick tripped something in my mind....my sister and her family lived in The Woodlands, Texas, a burb of Houston. The local school district Conroe ISD have their own police, um, force? Detachment? Department? Well, they have their own cops.

Home - Conroe ISD Police

I never saw this before or since, and none in North Carolina.

Been on here since 2008, and this is new to me... Members on here have been bashing government officials nonstop every since I joined this forum. So much so, that many of us, to include myself got pretty burned out on the political back and forth bullshit.

Now all the sudden there is some unwritten rule against calling them douce nozzles or ass monkey's?

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but what gives? When the rule change?

The rule changed after we had to close the first Trump Presidency thread. We decided to just put a full stop to the name-calling. So it's not an unwritten rule. Bash all you want, but you will refrain from name calling when doing so.

Of course, American's don't value football players lives above kid's lives, but that's how it's perceived. Especially if someone actually sees it that way, right? We are all military people, how does the military protect its assets? Guns! Big guns, small guns, guns on tanks, guns on helicopters, guns on ships, I'd bet some guns are fixed with their own guns (m4/203 combo)! If we can understand and agree that guns protect the masses at the Superbowl and our forward deployed assets, why can't they be relied on to protect our kids? I've taught 18-year-old kids how to shoot a 120mm projectile accurately to 7200 meters (I'm not bragging, it's not that difficult). Can I not teach a 55-year-old teacher to protect his students with a gun?

Making a location a "gun-free zone" should require that said location has armed personnel present to enforce, lethally if necessary, said zone.

That said, my wife is a teacher. While I have no doubt that you are capable of making my wife, or anyone for that matter, an expert marksman, that may not address a few key issues. 1) shooting is a perishable skill. Thus, teachers should visit the range X amount of times to remain proficient at their. most likely, newly acquired craft. This requires time and money, which leads me to point 2) most teachers my wife works with have multiple jobs and are heavily time constrained as is.

Possible solution: Require schools to carry 2-4 staff, depending on the size of the school, who are armed and trained to handle these situations. Corrections officers jump out as some obvious candidates, give them a pay raise to compensate for range time/ammo. I would also offer it to any teacher who would like to pick up the responsibility and compensate them accordingly as well.

Thoughts?

Saw a video yesterday where the mother of one of the victims was screaming about how President Trump needed to do something about this. Number one, I don't recall Sandy Hook being laid at the feet of President Obama, but the cool thing now is to blame almost everything on President Trump.

Secondly, this is not a federal issue. We have an overly invasive and bloated federal government as it is. This is a state issue, and should be handled accordingly. States need to come up with their own plans on how they are going to address the possibility of an active shooter.

The rule changed after we had to close the first Trump Presidency thread. We decided to just put a full stop to the name-calling. So it's not an unwritten rule. Bash all you want, but you will refrain from name calling when doing so.

Guess I missed the ending of that thread, and the announcement of the "no name calling" rule. I actually went back and checked the site rules, it's not listed... but gotcha, no calling public officials names.

Accidentally posted that last message early.

Our school has implemented stronger security after several incidents, but those "improvements" still won't stop this level of violence. Gangs exist here and we have lost several students over the past few years to gang violence. I trust none of my teachers with a firearm, and the police try but I'm not very confident in their ability to stop incidents like this. Some of the elementary schools here have bullet resistant coatings on the windows.

@Devildoc Our district has ~25 officers I think. They're mostly at the high schools and doing truancy interventions from what I have seen. The local PD helps staff the middle schools with officers. Another local district completely depends on the SD for security at their schools. I'm not sure how prevalent district police departments are, but I imagine it's a funding challenge for many. Ours has existed for at least a decade, but they're under equipped and it doesn't look like they're able to employ the cream of the crop. Hopefully we/they never have to experience a wake up call this violent.

Guess I missed the ending of that thread, and the announcement of the "no name calling" rule. I actually went back and checked the site rules, it's not listed... but gotcha, no calling public officials names.
No worries. Thanks for bringing it to our attention that the site rules do not reflect that. I will ping an Admin about getting that changed.

@jackmick The local school district Conroe ISD have their own police, um, force? Detachment? Department? Well, they have their own cops.

I like this - a lot. I was just in Conroe for a wedding last month and we stayed with a friend who's a local PD officer. Although I wish I had known about the ISD Police beforehand to ask about it, my understanding is that the Houston suburbs are in a state of expansion and economic "boom." I'm assuming this is what makes funding the Conroe ISD Police feasible and although I like the idea, I think a lot of the discussion on here has already addressed issues with funding, whether it's arming teachers, hiring private security, etc.

In high school, I remember it being real easy to get in/out without the rent-a-cop noticing or caring. The last time I visited, I think last February or March, my buddy who is now a teacher and coach there had to jump through hoops to get me through the gate on short notice. In retrospect, I really appreciate that they took security seriously and I think doing so definitely adds a respectable first-layer of security.

Not to detract from the discussion revolving around mental health, culture, and access to weapons in the first place, but I think securing access to schools (i.e., well-trained security that gives a damn and checks for parent/student/faculty/staff ID before admitting access) is a feasible and cost-effective step in the right direction. As someone else mentioned, being reactive now will move us towards being proactive later, but all I can really do is sit here and hope our politicians take action instead of letting this fade away like every other tragedy.

Back