SITREP THREAD. Post your Progress Here.

I was considered qualified today after passing my physical last week, and after my vision was re-checked today - I was told I was good to go. I just have to wait to hear back for my waiver for a previous surgery, and I can enlist.

6 request submissions and 4 months later, I finally received my OMPF from HQMC. Not sure what they do up there with all my mail but someone must like collecting OMPF requests. I have all my paperwork in order and now just have to submit my package to be reviewed. But there is a hang-up with my prior service recruiter (SURPRISE!)

I am getting a lot of smoke and mirror talk from the PSR at this point about unit affiliation. I am prior service AD and I am completely off contract. My PMOS is 0313 and my SMOS is 0311. I am wanting to affiliate with C Co, 4th Recon and LATMOV to 0321.

This was understood last December when I started this process, but now he is saying he doesn't "really know" if I can affiliate with that unit because they don't rate my MOS. He is trying to get me to affiliate with a straight leg battalion to fill an 0317 billet. But if I can't affiliate with 4th Recon because my PMOS is 0313, how can I affiliate with an infantry Bn? He admitted he has been trying to fill that SS billet for some time, so I am curious to know if there is a potential bonus driving his insistence on me going the 0317 route. NOTE* C Co, 4th Recon is 5 hours from my house. The unit that offers the 0317 billet is 9 hours. That is the reason I am not jumping at the 0317 opportunity.

I understand I have to sign a 3 year contract to drill with 4th Recon, C Co if I successfully complete the LATMOV. The same goes for the 0317 LATMOV as well.

The few current MARADMINS I found on the MARRFORRES LATMOV procedure does not mention the off contract to SMCR LATMOV "pipeline," so I am at the mercy of the PSR unless I can find another way to get the intel I need to provide him with amplifying information in order to accomplish my goal.

FISCAL YEAR 2019 (FY19) SELECTED MARINE CORPS RESERVE (SMCR) LATERAL MOVE (LATMOV), CAREER PROGRESSION MILITARY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY (MOS) AND MOS PROFICIENCY TRAINING PROGRAMS > United States Marine Corps Flagship > MARADMINS

Can anyone provide any clarity as to how I can or cannot affiliate with a Reserve unit? Any help would be much appreciated.

I went into the office today and my USAREC waiver was disapproved due to my previous surgery, my station commander said that it was probably because the Army didn't want to take the risk because it was Heart Surgery. He stated that I could try another service due to them having different CMO's, so I opted for the Marines. We'll see how this one goes.

I finished Clinical Fundamentals phase of SOCM this past Friday. Patho/Pharm was incredibly tough. I start Clinical Medicine tomorrow. The cadre and instructors are top notch. The stress levels are riding very high but I'm genuinely enjoying the courses. No one was exaggerating when they told me I wouldn't have a life in SOCM.

Not really a big step forward but just wanted to share a slight step forward.

Waiting for my promotion packet to approve and continuing to stay in shape. Will be participating in the Best Warrior Competition at my Command. Good tutorial level atmosphere to see around where I am at. Going in with full intention to win. 1SG and CSM promised Airborne school if I come in top two NCO, which will look better for attending SFRE. Airborne should be the last thing to build my case with an SF recruiter as I currently qualed for cat 4 language on DLAB, ASVAB req, and sec clearance.

The little victories that I plan to pile up to SFRE and SFAS.

Long-time lurker here. After 2 years of attempted patience, I am heading to MEPS in 2 weeks, taking an official PAST in 3 weeks for TACP-O. Full Phase 1 application is due in December.

Performed my first Navy PST with divers today, it was a lot different than the general Navy PRT. I had no prior swimming experience and started practicing combat side stroke two months ago. After I finished I felt that I could of put out a lot more but also I used today to figure the pace of things. There is lots of room for improvement, I will post some more scores a month from now. I am trying to crossrate AM to Navy EOD.

Swim- 11:40
Push Ups- 57
Sit Ups- 51
Pull Ups- 11
Run- 11:54

I've been lurking for a while here but I finally have a small update. After a lot of twists and turns I went to MEPS, got qualified, and did well on the ASVAB. I'm taking the PAST in 3 days and getting put into the developer program for SR.

I've been lurking for a while here but I finally have a small update. After a lot of twists and turns I went to MEPS, got qualified, and did well on the ASVAB. I'm taking the PAST in 3 days and getting put into the developer program for SR.
Who's your developer?

Got my Airborne wings yesterday, not a leg anymore😅 Super duper paratrooper!

I learned that I don’t like sitting in the harness.. one C130 for 330 jumpers = hours of sitting in jump branch already JMPI’d just waiting. And of course the C17 was fixed as soon as we finished our fourth jump and were already JMPI’d for our 5th jump.

Last edited:
Got my Airborne wings yesterday, not a leg anymore😅 Super duper paratrooper!

I learned that I don’t like sitting in the harness.. one C130 for 330 jumpers = hours of sitting in jump branch already JMPI’d just waiting. And of course the C17 was fixed as soon as we finished our fourth jump and were already JMPI’d for our 5th jump.
Congrats Airborne.
Jump #6 makes you a Paratrooper, vice a 5 jump chump ;-)

So I took the official PAST yesterday. I did pretty well on the first half, still a lot of room for improvement though, but I failed the swim portion.
That was a wakeup call for me, I'm going to start working on my swimming a lot more with a coach.

Performed my first Navy PST with divers today, it was a lot different than the general Navy PRT. I had no prior swimming experience and started practicing combat side stroke two months ago. After I finished I felt that I could of put out a lot more but also I used today to figure the pace of things. There is lots of room for improvement, I will post some more scores a month from now. I am trying to crossrate AM to Navy EOD.

Swim- 11:40
Push Ups- 57
Sit Ups- 51
Pull Ups- 11
Run- 11:54

Ran my second PST today with the divers, numbers are moving in the right direction! Thinking I might have some competitive numbers in a couple months here. I'll be doing another one at the end of November. In the meantime I'll be training and I need to get my hyperbaric test done.

I want that run under 10 minutes.

Swim- 10:42
Push Ups- 58
Sit Ups- 59
Pull Ups- 12
Run- 11:35

Last edited:
Slight update. I don't post here often, but wanted to add my goals even though they aren't necessarily SOF related. I'm currently hired as a paramedic in the AF, and leveraging my way towards IDMT so I can eventually apply for Combat Avation Advisor. As a non-SOF medic, I understand my role is in advising and supporting the right-of-bang guys. I have no issue with that and I know where I fit in the machine. CAA typically requires 3 years experience as an IDMT-P, so if I don't get that from my current position, I'd love to apply for the OSM at Hurlburt or any other AFSOC supporting role. The mission of CAA entices me due to teaching a foreign country MEDEVAC/CASEVAC procedures which is something I personally enjoy and have a little experience in performing. In the meantime, I'm applying for a job at NAR for an instructor role to gain some teaching experience. Will update when there is any solid progress. In the meantime, would love to talk medicine with any of our advanced providers.

Last edited:
I originally was planning on and working towards PJ. I took an unofficial PAST with my SOR and failed my swim (pretty badly) but did reasonably well on everything else. He told me because of my swim he couldn't override my current job (conventional Air Force) for a PJ contract, but he could have me develop under a TACP contract until my swim was better or until 180 days when they would ship me out as a TACP or my original Air Force job.

However after looking more into TACP and seeing some of what they do, it's peaked my interest a lot, so I've been training for that instead.

I haven't lost my motivation for PJ, I just found something that appeals to me more (at the moment). Posting to say thank you for the information about not only AFSW, and SOF in general, but for the information about TACP as well. (And the search bar) I'm also posting in hopes to find someone who may be working towards TACP that I can workout with, or we can share workouts and motivate each other.

Back