SITREP THREAD. Post your Progress Here.

You never were entitled to anything in the military. You do your best and make the cut, or you don't. That's why SOF units have selection courses. Not everyone is fit for it.

If you really want it, work for it.
Gotta go with K.
I mentored a friend of mine who was 33 and wanted wanted to fast-track GB due to age.
He was a College Grad Civil Engineer stud even at that age so I told him to Ranger Batt, volunteer for EVERY SCHOOL POSSIBLE as fast as possible.
He graduated basic as E-3 and at 1.5yrs TIS was CPL (P) with an EIB, Air Assault, Airborne School, Pathfinder, and was the RB Colonels driver. The Colonel wanted him to go to O.C.S. At 2yrs TIS he went to SFAS and smoked it.
3yrs on a SFODA and he disappeared into the Northern Army. This was mid-90's. He's retired now.

It's there if you want it.

I’ve been talking with an army recruiter, and he says that I need to get cleared by a civilian MD before he’ll send my paperwork up. I am hoping that my injuries which I was cleared from before leaving the Navy doesn’t affect me as it wasn’t the reason I got out. I originally came to this site with intentions of joining with an 18x, but with the help of this site, independent research, and talking with current members of Ranger Regiment, I’ve decided that I want to go to RASP for the chance to earn a spot in Ranger Regiment. If I can’t join with an option 40 then I’m going to join with an 11x contract and work my balls off to get a contract for RASP.

My current scores are:
90 push ups
90 sit ups
12:29 two mile
21 pull ups
5 mile: 36:28 (This is old. I feel like I could get near a 35 minute now, but will see next week.)
I’ve been adding rucking on my leg days and it is something that takes getting used to but it’s a good challenge.

I’ve got much to improve but I’m finally feeling like I’m seeing actual results, and thank God I’ve managed to remain injury free thus far as from minor annoyances .

That’s kind of discouraging if I left my job at 30 to work to become a 75th Ranger, then still didn’t get chosen for whatever reason.

Hey, I was told I would be medically good to go for NSW packet (in my day it was same packet for Recon corpsman). So I joined...and it was a no-go. Be the best 'you' you can be wherever you land.

I finally went to MEPs and got my physical. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to pick a job because I’m still waiting for me RE-3H waiver to launch. My recruiters said my paperwork wasn’t complete, and that they have to request paperwork from the Navy. That process can take up to a month or more according to my recruiter.

I didnt make it to phase 2 of A&S. While I'm upset, I feel like I gave it my all, and what I trained physically for "correctly", I did good at. Other things not so much, but im heading back in January, and hopefully the weather change will be nice. Armed with knowing what to expect on a daily basis, I have no reason not to crush it this time around.

I didnt make it to phase 2 of A&S. While I'm upset, I feel like I gave it my all, and what I trained physically for "correctly", I did good at. Other things not so much, but im heading back in January, and hopefully the weather change will be nice. Armed with knowing what to expect on a daily basis, I have no reason not to crush it this time around.

Sorry for not making it to phase 2 but you have a good attitude and I like that. Now you know what they are looking for and what you need to work on so you should do well. You might want to put on here what you found you weren't prepared for. I know, reading your posts leading up to attending assessment, that you had worked on a good training program so what was it that killed you? This would be good info for others.

For me, the biggest thing was running. Specifically, running as fast as you can, every where you go, including the pool days. A "swim day" will involve running at a break neck pace, doing the pool workout, and running that same pace back, with some calisthenics to finish it all off. The runs burnt out my legs for the rucks and I paid for it.

Swimming and pullups, I did good at. We had at least a few people who got maybe 7 pullups because they didn't do exactly what the order on proper pullups say to do. Swimming; everybody says you have to swim, but its really more like "pool stuff". Go find a MCIWS, ask him/her what "water aerobics" are, and be prepared to do that in full cammies.

The prep guides harp on how the swim test is breast and side stroke only, but I think you wind up freestyle sprinting 500 meters or more. Make sure you can brick tread, AND tow a brick, with the back and side stroke. Thats one of those things they'll drop you for if you can't do it.

By the time you get to a timed event, you're pre exhausted from all the stuff you've done the days before. Your 19 minute 3 mile will turn into a 21 minute 3 mile. I saw the average run/ruck times for a different class, and I shot for those, not knowing this. So my 21 minute 3 mile turned to almost a 23 minute 3 mile, and i wasnt the only one in this boat.

Id say knowing what I know now, make sure you can run a 300 PFT and CFT while you have the flu, go through advanced water survival if your unit has a class coming up, and ruck using the threads on this site for pointers.

I know, reading your posts leading up to attending assessment, that you had worked on a good training program so what was it that killed you? This would be good info for others.

We need to tread lightly here in terms of G2'ing a course.

Back