The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Only SOF PT exams have rope climbing. At least in our mil. The rest have a 3k run for time, pull-ups, situps in 2 mins. and 10x10m sprint.

Females have a 1k run, push-ups, situps in 2 mins and an 'envelope' sprint.

How the hell did you make it through an NCO course, or Basic Training without climbing a rope?
My basic and NCO course had no ropes courses. The only time I have had to climb ropes was unit PT on active duty (long long ago, in a frozen land far far away).
Reed

Crossfit breaks another person

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/crossfit-athlete-paralyzed-after-suffering-severed-spine-in
CrossFit Athlete Paralyzed After Suffering Severed Spine In Fitness Competition
On Jan. 12, Kevin Ogar severed his spine during a freak accident at a fitness competition in Orange County, Calif.
The 28-year old is an active member and coach in the Colorado CrossFit community with more than three years of experience.

According to a blog post on The Fittest Games, Kevin “missed a snatch at the 2014 OC Throwdown [which] came down on his back, severing his spinal cord and leaving him paralyzed from the T-11 vertebra down.”

Since the accident he has undergone two surgeries.

As Kevin is currently without health insurance, the community has started to collect funds to help him. So far they have raised over $200,000 through donations, the sale of t-shirts and by holding an “Ogar WOD” at gyms throughout the country.

Here's a brief video

i strongly dissagree. Crossfit did not break his spine, the person in question did it. If you have a accident with a gun, is the gun to blame or is the person holding the gun at the time responsible?
In this case, it really depends on what kind of event they were doing. If it was regular snatches with proper rest time in between attempts, then yes I would put it on the guy. But knowing crossfit, it was probably AMRAP snatches along with some other goofy shit, which I would then say the fault is shared between the programming and the competitor.

EDIT: I take a little of that back. According to one description, the bar bounced off the weights behind him, and that somehow was enough to break his spine. It first looked to me like it just crashed onto his back from the top of the snatch position. If that's the case, then it's really just a freak accident.

Crossfit is still a bunch of dorks, though!

Last edited:
In this case, it really depends on what kind of event they were doing. If it was regular snatches with proper rest time in between attempts, then yes I would put it on the guy. But knowing crossfit, it was probably AMRAP snatches along with some other goofy shit, which I would then say the fault is shared between the programming and the competitor.

EDIT: I take a little of that back. According to one description, the bar bounced off the weights behind him, and that somehow was enough to break his spine. It first looked to me like it just crashed onto his back from the top of the snatch position. If that's the case, then it's really just a freak accident.

Crossfit is still a bunch of dorks, though!

Ogar is a beast, and is someone who is very well aware of how to do a snatch as well as what his personal limits are. The guy can hang snatch from the hip 275, and has been in the game for years. Injuries happen in every sport, sometimes they are severe and unfortunate. This wasn't the case of some amateur taking on more than they could handle.

Kevin Ogar was competing in a sanctioned crossfit event, as a crossfit athlete, under crossfit's banner. The kool aid drinkers out there making @Ravage 's argument are pissing me off.

100% of this guy's identity was wrapped up in his gym and crossfit. Lots of athletes in crossfit are the same way.

So, yes, "crossfit didn't break Kevin Ogar's spine." You know what DID break it? His love for high intensity fitness that often implements high rep olympic lifts well after athletes are already fatigued in cramped spaces without regard for safety, as evidenced by Greg Glassman, owner and head coach of crossfit. Further, they add the intensity of competition to these lifts/events, and that results in athletes going well beyond their safe performance thresholds for what it, essentially, working out.

I will say this- there is a difference between correlation and causation. But a mildly successful high school athlete that never gets into crossfit (Kevin Ogar) might not have to be paralyzed from the waist down today.

Ogar is a beast, and is someone who is very well aware of how to do a snatch as well as what his personal limits are. The guy can hang snatch from the hip 275, and has been in the game for years. Injuries happen in every sport, sometimes they are severe and unfortunate. This wasn't the case of some amateur taking on more than they could handle.
I totally agree! Kevin Ogar and his coaching staff should have known better. As professional athletes and as a professional coaching staff, they should have seen the event line up and not signed up. (I know that's not what you were saying.)

Also, strength doesnt mean anything here; he wasn't paralyzed by trying a weight well above his PR with shitty form. The event space was set up poorly and didn't give him room to dump safely, and the fucking guy 1 foot from him didn't know enough to save Kevin Ogar because crossfit is run by a bunch of fucks that took a 3 day course and think they're olympic lifting coaches.

Back