The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

crossfit is run by a bunch of fucks that took a 3 day course and think they're olympic lifting coaches.

Such a great quote right there, and that sums up a lot of CF gyms in many different places.... Pure fucking garbage from the equipment, programming, and coaching.

In the Buzzfeed article:
Russell Berger said:
“In a country consumed by a deadly obesity and health epidemic, I really don’t have much tolerance for claims of the dangers of ‘over-exercising,’” he said. “As for exercising without watching form, obviously it is better to train with optimal technique, but the benefit of training functional movements even with poor technique dramatically outweighs the risk associated with avoiding them for fear of injury via incompetence.

Really? True idiot.

I visited a Crossfit place recently. It is a a hybrid of Crossfit and Strongman however. I know the head trainer/coach there. I will check it out further.

Despite the body of evidence that screams "CAUTION!", people continue to throw themselves into CF with little to no reservation. There's an almost zealot level of devotion that some people bring to CF, and typically those people are so damn insecure that being called an "athlete" and "elite" on a consistent basis garners their unequivocal loyalty despite any and all negatives associated with the brand and the program. Greg Glassman had a great idea, and started off well. He has since gone off the deep end and is an idiot of the highest order who surrounds himself with impressionable sycophants who will accept no challenge to anything CF related without throwing temper tantrums and threatening legal action. Multiple legitimate field experts (Rippetoe, Wolf, Everett) have been excommunicated for sticking to the facts and the science in the face of the bro-science that permeates CF. Yet despite all this, people still throw themselves into it with reckless abandon. So things like this will continue to happen every so often, and people on both sides will continue to not accept any responsibility. There are still good gyms out there, but it seems like they are getting to be fewer and fewer in number.

When an elite level athlete in a CF competition gets hurt, it's because of CF. When an elite level athlete gets hurt in any other competition, it's an unfortunate accident that may happen .
The articles I have found say that his spine was severed when the bar bounced off the weights behind him and hit him. Show me one Olympic lifting clip where someone was hurt because of having shit cluttering the immediate area they were lifting in.

The articles I have found say that his spine was severed when the bar bounced off the weights behind him and hit him. Show me one Olympic lifting clip where someone was hurt because of having shit cluttering the immediate area they were lifting in.

Nope, bar came right down on his back very similar to the videos above. There were plates behind the lifting platform he was on, but the bar cleared them and rolled right away after he had already fallen to the ground.

EDIT: Pretty good article here: http://physiodetective.com/2014/01/...cident-a-freak-accident-not-crossfit-related/

Last edited:
Nope, bar came right down on his back very similar to the videos above. There were plates behind the lifting platform he was on, but the bar cleared them and rolled right away after he had already fallen to the ground.

EDIT: Pretty good article here: http://physiodetective.com/2014/01/...cident-a-freak-accident-not-crossfit-related/

It didn't look that way in the video posted in this thread. It did look like the bar bounced off the plates and made a secondary impact. An article by ABC News that quotes his training partner Matt Hathcock describes the bounce as well: http://abcnews.go.com/US/crossfit-a...news-concerns-popular-sport/story?id=21555690

It didn't look that way in the video posted in this thread. It did look like the bar bounced off the plates and made a secondary impact. An article by ABC News that quotes his training partner Matt Hathcock describes the bounce as well: http://abcnews.go.com/US/crossfit-a...news-concerns-popular-sport/story?id=21555690

We must be looking at two different videos bro… the only video I have seen of the lift was it falling on his back, him falling to the ground, and the bar rolling away...

We must be looking at two different videos bro… the only video I have seen of the lift was it falling on his back, him falling to the ground, and the bar rolling away...

I stand corrected. I went back and watched the video frame by frame. The link you posted to the article makes more sense now. It does look like some type of injury occurs as he's standing the lift up. It looks like he essentially collapses, like it wasn't a bail attempt. Then the bar lands on him. At full speed it looked to me like there was a bit of a ricochet off the plates behind him, but in slow-mo the bar appears to impact the plates at a straight down angle at the same time it lands fully across his upper spine.

All of our guesses aside, I am hoping we can hear from Kevin himself about what happened. Hopefully after he is feeling better he writes something. Leo is friends with him as they are both from Denver, so I'm hoping even if he doesn't release a statement or something that I can get some insight.

So he basically said what all the other critics say… "I don't like the programming"

It's an extremely valid point though. I hadn't seen the context of the workout Kevin Ogar was injured on, and after seeing it, I 100% agree that it was an extremely poor choice for a workout. CF has got to start taking some responsibility for these kinds of things and providing more regulation if needed. Shrugging your shoulders and pretending like there was nothing that could have prevented this is absurd, and that's what the majority of the CF community seems to be doing.

It's an extremely valid point though. I hadn't seen the context of the workout Kevin Ogar was injured on, and after seeing it, I 100% agree that it was an extremely poor choice for a workout. CF has got to start taking some responsibility for these kinds of things and providing more regulation if needed. Shrugging your shoulders and pretending like there was nothing that could have prevented this is absurd, and that's what the majority of the CF community seems to be doing.

I definitely have seen some competition programming where I really question who the fuck was in charge. I haven't looked into the weekends programming in depth for this particular one, but I do know it is a hard comp to get into (regional/games level athletes). I'm not going to defend CF programming to death, because it really is subjective to who is doing it. Heck, there are still some who think there SHOULDN'T be any programming at all. So yeah, I think a valid point can be made about programming being a concern - but I am not going to paint the CF community in broad strokes and say they are all bad either. I think the same gyms who tolerate poor form are the same ones who probably have terrible programming. One thing I will concede all day long is that CF HQ needs to start vetting who they allow to affiliate MUCH more intensively; that will go a long way in improving the legitimacy of the sport.

While it is, the real problem is the people that want something for nothing. I got into CrossFit in 2005 and followed their programming pretty religiously yest sensibly for about 18 months and saw some decent gain in some things and some losses in others. That was when I realized if I took what I was doing in the gym before and combined it with the principles that CrossFit preached, I would be a more rounded "athlete." In other words, people need to take a little personal responsibility.

AAR:

I just came back from a Crossfit gym that does both Crossfit and Strongman workouts. I went for my evaluation/assessment. One coach took me through one portion of this by having me do some drills with a ladder laying on a floor. He then showed me (with a plastic bar) a deadlift, a squat, a front squat, a clean and jerk and a few other movements (most of which I have never done). I did each movement 5 to 10 times. I asked questions about form and such with Coach #1 answering all my questions.

Coach #2 took me through a WOD. 15/12/9. 3 rounds. Row on the machine, medicine ball slam, air squat and pushups. It raised my heart rate, I sweated and it kicked my butt some. I got a score after and I did "pretty well"

Afterward I asked more questions about form, pricing, etc. Both coaches were positive (despite my hard line of questions :D ). I asked if I will be learning correct form (yes). There are always coaches (yes 2 per WOD class). Can I do one on one privates? (yes). Are you going to correct my form (yes). I am worried about form (we are here to help/etc)

"No you will never been pushed to do more weight". "No you will not be asked to do more if you're not feeling it. We are here to coach/teach/guide you the right way". "Form comes first".-Some of the quotes.

Overall I was impressed. I read the good, the bad and the ugly about CF and I am going to join this on the short term. I like the strongman workouts they do (Atlas Stones, tire flips, etc). Everyone I met was awesome. I met the owner. I met all the coaches who all have formal and informal backgrounds in other sports and disciplines. My first impression is this isn't a shitty box with people doing the fucked up shit I see around.

/

Back