The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

My AAR after my first full CF Mini WOD and WOD:

I showed up early to stretch. I met the two coaches (gym policy is two coaches per WOD ). We warm up and go through the Mini WOD (I'll leave out specifics due to PERSEC). Followed by the WOD (PERSEC). To give an idea it was 50 of , then 40 of, then 30 of, then 20 of times 3 rounds. It kicked my ass in a great motivational way. The two coaches were awesome. One thing that stuck out was one coach came by and said "You're working hard that's awesome if you feel you've done enough don't do the 3rd round and hurt yourself or anything ok?". A coach who cared (in direct relation to the all the stupid shit we've read about CF). This is a box I would go in and drop in or workout (pay) to work out in.

Overall I had a great experience.

One of the things I really like about the CF gym where I work out is that the coaches come around during both parts of the workout and make corrections on form. They are simple suggestions that can be applied during the WOD, things like: weight on your heels, elbows up, jump harder, etc.

When a SFC tells me that PRT is based off a war college study that followed six dudes…man o man. The Army studies on cross fit leave much to be desired. 25th ID did one with 14 Soldiers and the War College study was 6. I'd like to see the Army put fourth a study that followed a company sized element that had both morning and afternoon PT locked into their schedules and see what the results were. It was the other PSG in my troop talking to my CO about it, saying the first thing you do is nutrition when you join a box. Idk…but the screens, nutrition, and the lifting is farcical when these affiliates are there to make money. He also talking about gymnastics…sorry, but hand stand pushups is not gymnastics. Oh well lads.

Last edited:
Dude, that's the whole point of the open. You see where you stack up against the other 220,000 others who are doing the exact same thing. I didn't sign up for the Open this year, but I will be doing so next year. I don't expect it to go anywhere, but I can't really find a good reason not to. I'm pretty sure we'll be doing this workout at my gym tomorrow. If that's the case, I'll be posting my scores up in here.

I'll post my score: 245 total reps, RX, C&J instead of snatches.
Going into it, I was shooting for 225/5 complete rounds. So, overall I'm happy with my numbers. It was a gasser, my lungs gave out way before my muscles. I need to work on my DU efficiency. I can string them together if I slow them down some. If I get going too fast, I end up with rope welts on my shins.

I'll post my score: 245 total reps, RX, C&J instead of snatches.
Going into it, I was shooting for 225/5 complete rounds. So, overall I'm happy with my numbers. It was a gasser, my lungs gave out way before my muscles. I need to work on my DU efficiency. I can string them together if I slow them down some. If I get going too fast, I end up with rope welts on my shins.

Any reason you opted for the C&J's instead of the power snatches?

Any reason you opted for the C&J's instead of the power snatches?
Snatches all the way through would have destroyed my shoulders. C&J is slower, yes, but my shoulders would have been absolutely fried after 2 rounds of power snatches.
I really wanted to stick around to see all the coaches (and other members who registered for the Open) do 14.1 after our workout, but I needed food and I had 2 puppies in crates at home.

You started down that road, Sir. But sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion. :rolleyes:
Go to a gymnastics center and you won't see people hanging around doing ring dips, muscle ups, or hspu's in general. Those are all moves to mount rings or a part of floor exercise.

You started down that road, Sir. But sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion. :rolleyes:
To further my point, Rusty covered some of it. CrossFit HQ and the boxes claim they cover gymnastics, when the reality is that a few of the movements gymnasts used end up in Crossfit. Glassman claimed gymnasts are the best all-around athlete. Yet, he's not running gymnastics centers, but rather compound olympic lift centers. If you like cross fit, that's cool, but the bullshit they sell is beyond balls deep.

I'm not talking about CF HQ, perhaps I should have specified that. And while I can't speak for all CF gyms, the one I work out at and the few that I have visited would not fall into the category of an Oly lift center. Your brush strokes seem to be pretty broad.

Back