The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

And 14.3.... don't like the programming on this one.

High rep, high weight deadlifts are not smart in my opinion. Especially with an 8 min. time cap

Couldn't agree more... Possibility of injury is ridiculously increased. Maybe they are hoping a good percentage of the people don't make it to the heavier deadlifts.

Goon I did not see the vid - yet. But, I remember doing a workout of 5 rounds 12 DL, 9 HC, 6 STO (40 kg weight). At one point a friend of mine was telling my that my back is going. Too many reps to big of a rush. I decided to slow down. A great score ain't worth me loosing my health.

14.3 = 97 reps

The last 2 or 3 at 275# felt bad, I can only imagine how they looked. Agree with the comments on heavy DL at high reps combined with box jumps. Touch and go DL above 185# can't be good. I will say though, most people switched to step ups vice jumps after the first round.

I will say though, most people switched to step ups vice jumps after the first round.

Probably a smart move. I think there are many in the Open who are perfectly ok with taking a lower score on this one in lieu of a herniated disc. I don't mind the fact that box jumps are combined with it, it's not a bad couplet. It's the fact that as the reps increased, the weight did as well. And this isn't just a "well the people who get to those rounds will be fine" because they aren't. That is a shit ton of weight to be doing at high reps, regardless of physical ability. Again, just look at Tovars back during the announcement. I haven't watched any of the videos posted on the leaderboard yet, but I am going to take a wild guess and say that they tell a similar story.

No big deal here- but my wife put down a 150 on this workout.

I'll post my (undoubtedly lower) score tomorrow when I do it. I judged all day today- the key to this workout is step ups and not box jumps, and save that posterior chain for (hopefully) not-atrocious form in the later rounds.

I'm doing the foundation course at the moment. It's been good but I refuse to buy into the cultish aspects of it nor do I care about scores and shit like that (but that's just me). For this fat cunt it's about improvement: yes/no?

I'm doing the foundation course at the moment. It's been good but I refuse to buy into the cultish aspects of it nor do I care about scores and shit like that (but that's just me). For this fat cunt it's about improvement: yes/no?

I think the competitive spirit is one of the really good things that separates CF from other fitness regimes. Scoring goes hand in hand with that. Also, if you don't record your scores, than how will you know (quantify) if/how much you have improved?

I think the competitive spirit is one of the really good things that separates CF from other fitness regimes. Scoring goes hand in hand with that. Also, if you don't record your scores, than how will you know (quantify) if/how much you have improved?

I was intending on remembering them and I would know if I've improved or not. So long as it's higher than the last one I don't care what the ones previous to that were.

A note on form, since I see it's been brought up. The coaches at my one are very strict on it. If you either can't quite get the form right for whatever reason or you can't do it they're pretty good at just having you do something similar.

I watched the 14.3 video…dead lift form looked horrible and both of them were using a lot of their back to start with let alone how it deteriorated at the end.

I watched the 14.3 video…dead lift form looked horrible and both of them were using a lot of their back to start with let alone how it deteriorated at the end.

I didn't have a problem with how they started. It was a very light weight for them, and doing a Roman DL saves their legs a bit for the box jumps while only having minimum impact on their back. Good strategy if you ask me.

I didn't have a problem with how they started. It was a very light weight for them, and doing a Roman DL saves their legs a bit for the box jumps while only having minimum impact on their back. Good strategy if you ask me.

Good point, but they really erred by not thinking through the box jumps vs. step ups. Granted they were "higher level Crossfit athletes", but the inability to gameplan the workout is what was troubling to me. As for the DL form, I have an old wrestling conditioning book that encourages use of a rounded back (not at super heavy weight to start, gradual increase) since those particular athletes will probably never be in perfect position to throw someone in textbook DL form. I added that to my routine a few years ago and think it does some good, particularly when doing activities outside of the gym (you know, real life).

Keeping score is part of the game in Crossfit, but no one said you had to compete with everyone else. Quantifying improvements is the name of the game, particularly with metabolic conditioning.

The programming for 14.4 in regards to making it more probable for injury is a lot less severe than 14.3, I just can't do a muscle up sooooo…..

I think 14.3 was kind of an anomaly, stupid, but an anomaly. I saw a lot of the gyms I am connected with saying that their members will not be doing 14.3 unless they are signed up for the open, and even then they were recommending only doing it once.

For 14.4, it's just a classic chipper. I think the vast majority of people won't even get to the muscle ups, and if they do they either don't have muscle ups or they'll only be able to squeeze one or two in.

I think 14.3 was kind of an anomaly, stupid, but an anomaly. I saw a lot of the gyms I am connected with saying that their members will not be doing 14.3 unless they are signed up for the open, and even then they were recommending only doing it once.

For 14.4, it's just a classic chipper. I think the vast majority of people won't even get to the muscle ups, and if they do they either don't have muscle ups or they'll only be able to squeeze one or two in.

I did 14.3, but it was brutal for about three days afterward. I made sure someone was watching my back so that I didn't round off as time was short. Even our studs only did the WOD one time, which was more than enough for me. I'm not shabby on DL, but that thing was brutally stupid to include in the open - now the games would be a whole other matter.

14.4 looks doable, don't think that I'll get far enough to worry about the muscle ups...

14.4 = 174 reps
The T2B absolutely destroyed me. I went 10, 5, 5, 3, 2, 3, 2....some of those 3s and 2s were more leg flailing than anything. My form goes to shit once my shoulders get smoked. I didn't count my reps on quite a few that I felt were ugly. I tried to keep it as honest as possible.

I put up a 180- I have zero shoulder stability and my fresh muscle ups are non existent (havent tried any in 3 years).

I had a great plan and stuck to it, got through the cleans like I wanted to. Pretty crappy workout though, tough.

I put up a 180- I have zero shoulder stability and my fresh muscle ups are non existent (havent tried any in 3 years).

I had a great plan and stuck to it, got through the cleans like I wanted to. Pretty crappy workout though, tough.
How much time did you have left after the cleans?
All my cleans were singles that I rested exactly 3 seconds on. Were you doing touch and go or singles?

Nice number, by the way.

How much time did you have left after the cleans?
All my cleans were singles that I rested exactly 3 seconds on. Were you doing touch and go or singles?

Nice number, by the way.
All singles. I had about a minute left, and took a solid :30 to see if I would be able to magic something up, but no way.

Back