The "CrossFit Culture" is a bunch of DORKS!!!

Now there is a g sequence of exercises has a trademark and brand name associated with it.....
Ah, the good old days.

"Yo, let's go workout."
"What do you want to do...upper body, chest, back, legs?"
"Let's just mix things up. Let's add some cals and run at the end?"
"What!?"
"Yeah, I read that in one of Weider mags."
"Fuck, Arnold didn't run."
"What protein shake you drinking?"

Ahahahaa yes exactly LMAO. Funny how even without all sorts of fancy magical programming etc I always seemed to get bigger and stronger and faster... Even though I was "doing it wrong" by today's views.

Did the triple from the Games today.
3K meter row: 12:51 (negative splits the entire way, worked my 500m average down to 2:08)
300 double unders finished at 22:01. Wasn't happy about taking 9:10 minutes to complete them.
3 mile run finished in 26:47 for a total time of 48:48. Negative splits on the run as well.

This workout was a kick in the balls. Being able to string my double unders together better would have helped immensely. Just so happens that I beat my brother's time by about a minute. :D

Yeah 2:40 was beyond awful. I said that when I saw it live. Still don't know WTF happened to the one chick who screamed like the zombie apocalypse was happening right there in the stadium. That being said, anyone can go on YT and find myriad videos of people doing dumb shit in any CF or globo gym. That's nothing new. :rolleyes: There could be an entire thread devoted simply to that one subject. CF is not the originator of poor form.
I wonder what the shit talking commentator's background is.

I saw some horrendous form at Soto the other day...like, it made my back hurt . The response from the guy I got was: I'm just doing them how I was taught. I said I was just trying to pay it forward.

Why are you working out at all? You've got the Warrior Gene!

...and a Three Wolf T-shirt.

BOOM.

Warrior Gene baby!!!

Nonetheless sir, I hope my workout is weapons grade and tactical enough even though it isn't CFit and I also don't hear the call of duty sound effects and ringing in my ears when I lift like the guy the video. Pretty sure that is an indication of possible stroke.

Last edited:
All BS aside, I've never gone wrong with Stew Smith's PT programs.

His programming is basically "do shit tons of calisthenics and running until you beast the F out of anything you want to (physically)".

Was browsing another forum the other day and someone called him "outdated" lol. What? The human body has magically evolved in the past 10 years and now his stuff doesn't work?

I think we have really shot ourselves in the foot with all this new fancy stuff. It's one thing to always seek to improve, but not to the point where people say nothing else but their program works (when people have been chugging along just fine before said magical program came out).

This is not against CrossFit per se, but it is a marketing theme in general that I've really taken issue with.

Double-unders-suck.jpg

IMO, nothing on his website is "outdated". Bodyweight and calisthenics never grow old. As to the "old school" military workouts and programs, I think the exercise world is coming "full circle" and returning to them.

P90 X, Insanity, and the like are things we did in bootcamp. Good ole fashion thrashing. It worked then and it is still working today. It just doesn't sound as fancy as some of the modern names given to old programs.

My DI's were making me do HIIT workouts without knowing it years before they becam popular. ;-)

Last edited:
As an aside: I would legitimately like some input on my last post re: Stew Smith and the apparently "old school" view of military PT.

Different strokes for different folks. Programming differs depending on what your goals are. Choosing a program depends on your individual goals and what type of programming appeals to you. Stew Smith's program is proven effective at what it's goals are and is still considered relevant to a ton of different people. Military PT? I think it is getting better/more relevant, but I have never been a fan of the "out-of-the-book" PT we did.

I really want to know what aspects of the human body can evolve in a 10 year span. Everyone has their critics, this is no different.

To add to what LOST has already said, I don't see Smith's programming as outdated, but there are more tools available now. Anyone who is looking to improve their physical conditioning whether for a SOF pipeline or just overall would be foolish to overlook programs like MA, TFB, 5/3/1, WSBB, etc.
Has this kind of programming been around before now without the fancy names? Yes, of course.
Does the fancy name make it better? Nope.
However, I think the combination of the name and it's availability is 100% positive because it consolidates a lot of information into one place.
It all goes back to the fact that there is no one program that is the best or the only one to use.
Just my $.02
As always, YMMV

Well stated Skrewz.

I agree, with all of the above.

I think half the fun is programming your own stuff based on ideas and traits from various programs.

In fact, me and the gf are starting a new program tonight. Gonna use high rep swings to minimize the beatdown from running etc.

Basically going to rotate the training and exercises around to keep a steady stream of stimulus hitting at the efficient frontier without overtraining or causing too much damage in anything in particular due to overuse.

One thing I've been fooling around with is HRV monitoring. Pretty cool stuff... Not sure if it really works or is just a placebo but it seems to be useful so far.

And there's my drawback. I'm too fucking lazy to "do my own programming". So, I have about 4-5 websites book marked on my interwebz, I choose the workout that looks the most appealing or the one that best complements my 5/3/1 work for the day.
I like to think of it as working smarter, not harder. :thumbsup:

Back