The self identity thread.

Well, first people need to recognize that college is a cash cow, a business. Otherwise you could learn your "major" subjects with supporting classes in a quarter the time. But I have no problem with dropping math if it's a humanities program. I DO have a problem with having to take a "diversity requirement" if that was what math was being replaced with.

Well you can voice your displeasure by not attending that institution.

If you think that college is only about getting a job, and learning the "major" subjects, maybe you missed the point of your education. I know for certain that I took classes that have zero to do with my ability to effectively manage a critically ill patient, however those classes changed my perspectives on things like empathy, increased my understanding the world around me, and made me a better overall communicator. Totally useless skills.

Abu Hajar would have already unlocked "the thread".

Not being unlocked, it serves no purpose. The smacktalking thread will open when the candidates are named.

If you think that college is only about getting a job, and learning the "major" subjects, maybe you missed the point of your education. I know for certain that I took classes that have zero to do with my ability to effectively manage a critically ill patient, however those classes changed my perspectives on things like empathy, increased my understanding the world around me, and made me a better overall communicator. Totally useless skills.

Given the deplorable state of education in this country "forcing" college students to take a math class or two isn't a bad thing. If you're going to cut a class trim a Humanities requirement. Yeah, that Music Appreciation course will make me a better person...

Not being unlocked, it serves no purpose. The smacktalking thread will open when the candidates are named.

Given the deplorable state of education in this country "forcing" college students to take a math class or two isn't a bad thing. If you're going to cut a class trim a Humanities requirement. Yeah, that Music Appreciation course will make me a better person...

No one made you take Music Appreciation, you may have chosen that to fulfill a fine arts requirement, but you could have chosen something else.

No one made you take Music Appreciation, you may have chosen that to fulfill a fine arts requirement, but you could have chosen something else.

No, I had to take music appreciation for my degree. Obviously not all are the same, but some schools lock you in to certain classes.

Wow. There were no other fine arts classes? Didn't you go to UF?

No, Troy University. They may have changed the requirement, but at the time (2013 or so, I graduated in 2014 under an older catalog year) I had Music Appreciation, a literature class with a few options, and a mandatory art class. I think I took World. Lit. or something like that, but the music and art classes were required. That mirrored the CLEP test's topics for whatever reason. I had a CLEP study guide at the time. Music, art, and World Lit. were the three subjects that made up the Humanities CLEP.

I wanted a Computer Degree and was in Afghanistan. Online options were FSU, Troy, Austin Peay, and some schools that didn't impress me. A few other Div-1A schools would later offer Comp. Sci. or Management of Information Systems/ Science degrees (FSU did from the start) and I briefly took 3 classes from Penn State before finishing at Troy. As of two years ago UF didn't have an online B.S. degree related to IT and it still wasn't widespread among brick-and-mortar schools with an online presence.

Master's degrees are a different story. Those are all over the place. I think it was Auburn or Ole Miss where their Master's came in around $20k if you already had the right pre-reqs. Virginia Tech, Arizona State, U. of South FL, and Colorado State all came in around $30k back in 2014.

No, Troy University. They may have changed the requirement, but at the time (2013 or so, I graduated in 2014 under an older catalog year) I had Music Appreciation, a literature class with a few options, and a mandatory art class. I think I took World. Lit. or something like that, but the music and art classes were required. That mirrored the CLEP test's topics for whatever reason. I had a CLEP study guide at the time. Music, art, and World Lit. were the three subjects that made up the Humanities CLEP.

I wanted a Computer Degree and was in Afghanistan. Online options were FSU, Troy, Austin Peay, and some schools that didn't impress me. A few other Div-1A schools would later offer Comp. Sci. or Management of Information Systems/ Science degrees (FSU did from the start) and I briefly took 3 classes from Penn State before finishing at Troy. As of two years ago UF didn't have an online B.S. degree related to IT and it still wasn't widespread among brick-and-mortar schools with an online presence.

Master's degrees are a different story. Those are all over the place. I think it was Auburn or Ole Miss where their Master's came in around $20k if you already had the right pre-reqs. Virginia Tech, Arizona State, U. of South FL, and Colorado State all came in around $30k back in 2014.

I thought you had a degree from way back, and were an officer.

I thought you had a degree from way back, and were an officer.

No and yes.

The Guard will commission you if you have a minimum of 90 credit hours and you have to complete your degree before you make Captain. About half of my graduating class, if not more, didn't have a degree. I was one class away (Human Growth and development) from applying to a BSN program when I got out. After that I worked in IT and lost the desire to go to nursing school. I'm not one to play the shoulda', coulda', woulda' game. For better or worse I made my choices.

Well you can voice your displeasure by not attending that institution.

Oh, I had a few of those. Sure. And I had to take some utterly, completely bullshit courses. I like how some of the English universities do it: seminar classes that cover a variety of subjects and topics. No 3-hr class on the History of Ebonics (yes, a real class; no, I didn't take it). But since have two undergrad degrees, part of a MA and currently enrolled in another grad program, I feel pretty good about my understanding of higher education. I also lump it under "I don't have to like it, just gotta do it" if I want the sheepskin.

Well if you think about it, it kinda did. This is what, 5 months after Target changed or fortified their policy? They have thousands of stores and millions of customers. 1 person out of millions of possible interactions. Shit there have been a boatload mass shootings since then. There have been more shark attacks and lightning strikes since then. A bunch of people have won the lottery, all those things are still more likely than a peeping tom transgender person.

I will say this about the math requirement:

My school has both Music Humanities and Art Humanities as required classes. No required math but I took it anyway. I've gotten laid by talking about Vivaldi. Peter Bruegel has also gotten me laid. You know what hasn't gotten me laid? Derivatives.

Have you ever killed something to watch it die? Bug, bird, whatever?

Last edited:
I will say this about the math requirement:

My school has both Music Humanities and Art Humanities as required classes. No required math but I took it anyway. I've gotten laid by talking about Vivaldi. Peter Bruegel has also gotten me laid. You know what hasn't gotten me laid? Derivatives.
This is just me but, humanities are good for the short term. I figure they give you an appreciation of society. Math helps you effect change and ultimately better the species. Honestly, math is better in the long term.:thumbsup:

This from a dumb ass who keeps repeating math courses. Pussy is good, but it ain't improving your life in the long term. Unless you get married, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Well if you think about it, it kinda did. This is what, 5 months after Target changed or fortified their policy? They have thousands of stores and millions of customers. 1 person out of millions of possible interactions. Shit there have been a boatload mass shootings since then. There have been more shark attacks and lightning strikes since then. A bunch of people have won the lottery, all those things are still more likely than a peeping tom transgender person.

Disagree. Five months is not that long at all. Especially when taken into account that the individual arrayed has admitted to doing this in the past as well.

Back