The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a right to immigrate or get a VISA to the US? Nope....I see no issue in stopping some immigration for a bit. I have always thought we should stop NEW Visa's into the US, until we can get a handle on all of the Visa overstays.

Agree with the first, somewhat disagree with the second. Issuance of visas and enforcement of overstays don't really cross lanes; stopping visa processing by USCIS/DoS won't help solve the overstay problem. Secondly, the majority of the folks affected by not having visas issued are people who (largely) haven't done anything wrong (perhaps a "yet" caveat is warranted).

I do agree that visa processing/issuance isn't a right, and I agree that we need much stricter enforcement with real consequences for those who are overstaying, or are just plain here illegally.

We are going to mess around and have an uprising in our country. There are a lot of very, very angry people in the US right now. :(

I think we'll be ok if the economy holds up but it good get very very bad if it goes south.

We are going to mess around and have an uprising in our country. There are a lot of very, very angry people in the US right now. :(

I think we'll be ok if the economy holds up but it good get very very bad if it goes south.

How so?

Economy is the thing Americans really care about at the end of the day. Bread and circuses/government handouts and solid middle class dampen enthusiasm for violence and political action. If people are angry AND broke they think they've got nothing to lose and it's game on.

Agree with the first, somewhat disagree with the second. Issuance of visas and enforcement of overstays don't really cross lanes; stopping visa processing by USCIS/DoS won't help solve the overstay problem. Secondly, the majority of the folks affected by not having visas issued are people who (largely) haven't done anything wrong (perhaps a "yet" caveat is warranted).

I do agree that visa processing/issuance isn't a right, and I agree that we need much stricter enforcement with real consequences for those who are overstaying, or are just plain here illegally.

True, USCIS/DOS issues the Visas, but immigration has to enforce the overstays. Both need to work together on the issue.

True, USCIS/DOS issues the Visas, but immigration has to enforce the overstays. Both need to work together on the issue.

One of the biggest issues we face today is that even in 2017, overstays aren't a priority from the enforcement perspective. That is one thing that needs to change.

I don't know, I kind of feel like the angriest folks are calling congress-people, going to the women's march, and posting FB memes. Maybe I'm doing too much mirror-imaging since I'm in the angry group and that's what I see as the most predominate behavior from those who feel the way I do - even though I can't say I've done much of those things myself. Maybe a little FB meming, but barely any...

In some ways I think the 'uprising' has been the election of President Trump. Obviously a lot of different reasons for 62 million people to vote the way they did but there is a strong theme - in my view - of distrust of institutions, distrust of 'elites' - in whatever form that takes, and distrust/dissatisfaction with the status quo. I listened to an Intelligence Squared debate after the election where the panel argued the rise of President Trump was the result of the failure of the elites (a broad definition the sides disagreed on). It was interesting and really stuck with me. I've also kept thinking about a TED talk I heard - I can't remember the name of the guy giving it - but it was on income inequality. He essentially said any society with our level of inequality as a trendline was destined for people with pitchforks coming to burn everything down. I didn't find it that convincing at the time but I've been thinking more about it and I wonder broadly if that's not what the rise of President Trump, BREXIT, revanchism in the EU, etc. is not about to a certain extent. The post Breton Woods political/economic order failing to deliver, especially as we moved into a hegemonic world, and the new political order - or re-ordering - is a result. In the same vein I had always found the argument convincing that the rise of AQ and that brand of jihadism was at least in part a reaction against globalization's destruction of patriarchic pre-feudal societies in the muslim world.

I feel like there's at least an A- paper for your class in there somewhere in the jumble of thoughts...

Last edited:
How many of the 9/11 hijackers and any other non-citizen terrorist attacks on US soil have come from the countries we just closed immigration from?
Reed

4c9.gif

Kremlin 'covered up the murder of a former KGB chief' | Daily Mail Online

@Ooh-Rah not really Pro Trump stuff, but rather anti-Dem stuff is what I wanted to see. Trump's now in power so attack all you want.

Making me work too fucking hard today, but okay. I started this, I'll finish it...enjoy!

And since I took the time to find this link, I want to point out that these are from September of 2016, well before the election.

Political Cartoons Skewering Liberals

Hillary-FBI-Running-Mate.jpg

I don't know, I kind of feel like the angriest folks are calling congress-people, going to the women's march, and posting FB memes. Maybe I'm doing too much mirror-imaging since I'm in the angry group and that's what I see as the most predominate behavior from those who feel the way I do - even though I can't say I've done much of those things myself. Maybe a little FB meming, but barely any...

In some ways I think the 'uprising' has been the election of President Trump. Obviously a lot of different reasons for 62 million people to vote the way they did but there is a strong theme - in my view - of distrust of institutions, distrust of 'elites' - in whatever form that takes, and distrust/dissatisfaction with the status quo. I listened to an Intelligence Squared debate after the election where the panel argued the rise of President Trump was the result of the failure of the elites (a broad definition the sides disagreed on). It was interesting and really stuck with me. I've also kept thinking about a TED talk I heard - I can't remember the name of the guy giving it - but it was on income inequality. He essentially said any society with our level of inequality as a trendline was destined for people with pitchforks coming to burn everything down. I didn't find it that convincing at the time but I've been thinking more about it and I wonder broadly if that's not what the rise of President Trump, BREXIT, revanchism in the EU, etc. is not about to a certain extent. The post Breton Woods political/economic order failing to deliver, especially as we moved into a hegemonic world, and the new political order - or re-ordering - is a result. In the same vein I had always found the argument convincing that the rise of AQ and that brand of jihadism was at least in part a reaction against globalization's destruction of patriarchic pre-feudal societies in the muslim world.

I feel like there's at least an A- paper for your class in there somewhere in the jumble of thoughts...

In my international political economy class, we went over the concept of embedded liberalism put forth by John Ruggie in 1992. While it mainly concerns continuity of the liberal economic order and norm-governed change, the most interesting concept to me had to deal with the denouncing of the neoliberal economic order. He claimed that international trade disrupts domestic stability in the short term due to the losers of trade, and the faster globalization and liberalized trade is pushed, the more domestic stability is disrupted. The natural inclination of domestic societies in response to this disruption is push-back against the liberal international regime in the form of protectionism or nationalism which only continues to be exacerbated through expanded globalization. Given this, he suggests gradual increases in globalization and liberalized trade so as to minimize the domestic disruptions with time rather than having them compound in a short time frame. We read this about a month after the election when everyone was trying to determine how things went so wrong for Trump to win, and I was like "Holy shit this is it."

His paper is a really, really great read about the evolution of the international monetary system, post WWII international regime, and hegemony. The domestic stability stuff is in the last 1/3.

Embedded Liberalism in the Postwar Economic Order- John Ruggie

How many of the 9/11 hijackers and any other non-citizen terrorist attacks on US soil have come from the countries we just closed immigration from?
Reed

Saudi Arabia should be added to the list, eh?

Zero... at least for 9/11.
As far as I know, we have no diplomatic presence in those countries asde from Iraq and Sudan.

In Iraq and Sudan, not even the host get governments have a good grasp of who's who within their countries.

The stats on how many prospective terrorists from these countries we are already stopping from entering the country will probably never be released public.

Last edited:
Reed
Strictly from the 9/11 attack, 15 hijackers were Saudi's, 2 from UAE, Egypt and Lebanon.

This is a major problem I have with this ban- you can ban the countries all you'd like, it's not state sponsored terrorism. The attacks aren't carried out in the name of Iran, Sudan, Yemen or Iraq.

Pres Trump says that it's not a Muslim ban. Ok, I can only believe what he says. So why no Saudi Arabia, Egypt, United Arab Emerites added to that list? Omar Mateen didn't come here from Iraq, he was born in New York- so how does the immigration ban actually effect terrorist attacks again?

Refugees detained, legal residents blocked from entering U.S. in wake of Trump order - The Portland Press Herald
“There is no evidence that refugees – the most thoroughly vetted of all people entering our nation – are a threat to national security,” Lena F. Masri, CAIR’s national litigation director, said in a statement. “This is an order that is based on bigotry, not reality.”
Not in the US, yet. But we'll be happy that we still have Planned Parenthood when/if they ever start raping their way across the US like they are doing in parts of Europe.
Darweesh, 53, had worked as a contractor for the U.S. government in Iraq for about a decade, including as an interpreter for the Army. He and his wife and three children had spent more than two years securing a special immigrant visa, granted to Iraqis who assisted U.S. military forces.
This is a typical appeal to emotion, which is one of the classical logical fallacies.

We should feel bad because one guy was inconvenienced for the safety of the nation's citizens?

Additionally, we gave this guy a chance to serve his own country while we were fixing it FOR him- and now we are supposed to feel as though we owe him something? How about we tell him congratulations for doing his patriotic duty and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back