The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betsey Devos getting confirmed pisses me off. Why was she the one he chose for SecEd?
She may not. A couple Republican Senators have come out and stated they will vote against her. To me, denying her nomination would be a big, and much needed win, by Republicans in Congress; it would show they're not puppets and that they still have a set of keys to the ship.

If you are a Trump supporter, then you must post something that you dislike about the current administration. Try to refrain from backhanded compliments, qualifiers, or any weasel words. I want posters to exert some contrarian thinking.

Dislike: ISIL hasn't been the recipient of any MOABs yet. I'll give him another week to work out the deets!!!!:thumbsup:

#moabforthewin

I don't think anyone would argue that Trump has put a lot balls in the air during his first couple weeks. There's enough action that I'm sure anyone could find something he's done that they can disagree with.

The way he reportedly talked to the Australian Prime Minister, as an example. Obama's treatment of some of our long standing allies was poor but if the way Trump reportedly engaged the PM, that's despicable as well. He doesn't have to like the deal but he does need tact.

That aside, as was stated earlier in this thread, if the press is going to harp on every comment and leftists are going to protest each action, we're going to go numb pretty quickly. It's already starting for me. As an ex. this was a "front page" story on ABC:
Military Convoy Flying Trump Flag Belonged to SEAL Unit

Really? We're writing stories about a flag for our President flying on a military vehicle as though it's some great mystery and offense? Who gives a shit?!

Last edited:
Some of you may have heard of the Chapo Trap House podcast, and some of you may not. It's somewhere between center-left and far-left, but they're perfectly at home with absolutely excoriating the democrats and leftists in general.

Their most recent podcast would probably be a great listen for even the staunchest conservatives. They take the media to task and highlight the failures of the DNC and the political class in general. They're anti-Trump, for sure, but this episode in particular is less about the man and more about his movement (and counter-movements). Some of the stuff that they've talked about could have been directly lifted from this board. It helps that they're pretty funny too.

Give it a listen: Episode 77 - No Country For Gorilla Men feat. Matt Taibbi (1/29/17)

What makes you think this? Legitimately curious.

One thing that has struck me time and time again when asking immigrants, or descendants of immigrants what their experience was like and how their whole process went coming to this country of ours, was that earlier generations of immigrants often refused to speak their native tongue around their children, and sometimes refused to even teach their children their native tongue out of loyalty and gratitude to their adopted country.
That has been drastically reversed in later current waves or immigrants.
I always thought it was a great shame, but I respected and understood the reasons why they made that choice.
Food for thought.

I like POTUS's pick for the Supreme Court.

I don't like that he got one. But I like his pick nonetheless.

One thing that has struck me time and time again when asking immigrants, or descendants of immigrants what their experience was like and how their whole process went coming to this country of ours, was that earlier generations of immigrants often refused to speak their native tongue around their children, and sometimes refused to even teach their children their native tongue out of loyalty and gratitude to their adopted country.
I always thought it was a great shame, but I respected and understood the reasons why they made that choice.
Food for thought.

I'm sure that happened but I wonder how common it was - and what the results good or bad were towards 'assimilation.' I think when you look at the history of America the culture adapted as much as a result of what immigrants brought with them as what they experienced and adapted to here. I wonder too at the strengths heritage speakers might bring. I'm thinking specifically of the significantly higher density of Soldiers with language skills in the European Theater of Operations in WWII. Our military today is less than 1/10th the size of the WWII force and we wouldn't dream of being able to supply one or more person who is conversant in the language of any theater in the world we deployed to. In the ETO in WWII I've read there was that level of language density or possibly more of Soldiers who spoke Italian, French, or German - thanks to the previous 50 years of immigration.

I'm sure that happened but I wonder how common it was - and what the results good or bad were towards 'assimilation.' I think when you look at the history of America the culture adapted as much as a result of what immigrants brought with them as what they experienced and adapted to here. I wonder too at the strengths heritage speakers might bring. I'm thinking specifically of the significantly higher density of Soldiers with language skills in the European Theater of Operations in WWII. Our military today is less than 1/10th the size of the WWII force and we wouldn't dream of being able to supply one or more person who is conversant in the language of any theater in the world we deployed to. In the ETO in WWII I've read there was that level of language density or possibly more of Soldiers who spoke Italian, French, or German - thanks to the previous 50 years of immigration.

I'm pretty sure we could deploy to South America with no issues inthr language department.

Food for thought.

Case in point, my Great Great Grandpa who came here from Germany with wife and kids. When war broke out he enlisted in the 27th Connecticut infantry and fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville and was captured during the latter. His children learned English early on and his daughter translated his war diary from the German.

Many immigrants have shown their gratitude by serving in our military.

The reason there were so many people with those kinds of language skills in the military is because there was a draft. Those were also common/popular foreign languages. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are fluent in important languages, and if we used a draft, we'd get plenty. It would never be "enough," but it would be plenty. Additionally, there are so many niche dialects and languages out there that unless we fling the doors wide open we'd never get enough of those languages. Somali dialects... Urdu... the list goes on.

I'm pretty sure we could deploy to South America with no issues inthr language department.

The reason there were so many people with those kinds of language skills in the military is because there was a draft. Those were also common/popular foreign languages. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are fluent in important languages, and if we used a draft, we'd get plenty. It would never be "enough," but it would be plenty. Additionally, there are so many niche dialects and languages out there that unless we fling the doors wide open we'd never get enough of those languages. Somali dialects... Urdu... the list goes on.

Good points, I agree with you both.

The rules are simple: if you are a Trump opposer, then you must post something that you like about the current administration.

Mattis
TTP
Vocal Support for Troops and LEOs (man that's been missing the past 8 years)
Looks like we have a good chance of deployments (war) so I can top off my post 9.11 GI Bill (That one is only half sarcasm)

Reed

The Border Patrol morale has just soared with Trump as POTUS. I was reading an article about the Head of the Border Patrol and his comments about the last eight years of duty. The "Catch and Release" program was driving the Agency bonkers. I'll see if I can find the article for reference.

ETA: I got it wrong, it was an agent speaking, not the boss. At Border Patrol, Trump lifts morale that was at an all-time low.

The Border Patrol morale has just soared with Trump as POTUS. I was reading an article about the Head of the Border Patrol and his comments about the last eight years of duty. The "Catch and Release" program was driving the Agency bonkers. I'll see if I can find the article for reference.

ETA: I got it wrong, it was an agent speaking, not the boss. At Border Patrol, Trump lifts morale that was at an all-time low.
Right. The boss just resigned (or was forced out, depending on who you ask) Border Patrol chief departs agency - CNNPolitics.com
Funny enough, CNN's headline used the most neutral language out of all the news sources I looked at.
For example, WaPo says that he was "Removed"
Right-leaning Gateway Pundit has him "Resigning"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back