The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wouldn't be a good comparison as they both co-located in the White House when their spouses were president. They didn't live in separate cities full time by choice.
i wonder what the upgrades to Trump Tower cost, and if past presidents required their personal dwellings to be upgraded. I'd assume there would have to be.

I also wonder where that money came from. I imagine the would be a budget for that sort of thing?

i wonder what the upgrades to Trump Tower cost, and if past presidents required their personal dwellings to be upgraded. I'd assume there would have to be.

I also wonder where that money came from. I imagine the would be a budget for that sort of thing?

When I worked in northwest Indiana, our USSS guys were out of Chicago. There was a TDY rotation for the detail on the house in Chicago, which obviously expanded when he was at the house.

Like the upgrades to the Obama house in Chicago that they barely used?

Obama Neighbors Welcome 4 More Years of Increased Security
When I worked in northwest Indiana, our USSS guys were out of Chicago. There was a TDY rotation for the detail on the house in Chicago, which obviously expanded when he was at the house.

Yeah, exactly like that. I assume it would happen somewhat frequently, which it apparently does, so you'd figure neither side could get their panties in a bunch about it.

:rolleyes::wall:

And I don't know what it is- my phone or the interface- but I can always tell when I post from my phone. The amount of spelling mistakes/typos goes way up.

Personally, I find politics to be a dirty business. Regardless of whether they sport an R, D, I, or anything else at the end of their name -- they lie, cheat, steal, etc. It's become the nature of their business.

Unfortunately, they all do it. Some worse than others in certain areas, but they all make up for it in their area of "expertise."

Now, I want to start seeing some work on balancing my budget....:sneaky:

Last edited:
Personally, I find politics to be a dirty business. Regardless of whether they sport an R, D, I, or anything else at the end of their name -- they lie, cheat, still, etc. It's become the nature of their business.

Unfortunately, they all do it. Some worse than others in certain areas, but they all make up for it in their area of "expertise."

Now, I want to start seeing some work on balancing my budget....:sneaky:

You hit on a couple important points. First, the American public, especially the wealthy, have given their power to the political, elected class. People are happy with the same ole same ole, or the guy who they "like" vs. the guy who can get things done. Perhaps a way to get some of that power back is through term limits.
Second, while the office of the President has immense power, the greatest influence comes through local and state government. This is how cities like Pittsburgh PA, Cleveland OH, and Greenville SC become re-vitalized, while other cities like Detroit remain destitute. The President doesn't have anything to do with Flint MI or Detroit, or fleeing residents from the NE. It is the state and local governments, and their policies, which set conditions for positive or negative growth. I moved from NC to SC and I see the negative influences of GOV McCory (removed film tax credit, solar credit, HB2, better roads) vs GOV Haley (Kept film and solar credits, worse roads b/c SC folks don't like a quarter penny tax:wall:). Pay more attention to state and local government, less attention to the Federal government.

That wouldn't be a good comparison as they both co-located in the White House when their spouses were president. They didn't live in separate cities full time by choice.
Use todays costs as they have multiple houses and we pay for it (Obama, and Clinton expenses would be nice to see)

58180585.jpg

@Marauder06, do you even clip art, bro?

Yeah, so nobody saw that happening.

I was surprised - which maybe says more about me than the facts since there had been strong indicators for days, the lack of defense from the white house and President Trump himself being chief amongst them.

But, with the amount of scandals and bad press surrounding the administration's first weeks I thought it odd to take such a hard line with LTG(R) Flynn - a guy who had been one of the earliest and staunchest proponents of President Trump's candidacy. LTG(R) Flynn lent then candidate-Trump a significant amount of credibility as a serious candidate and national security figure. Further, the administration has embraced controversy from day one with spirited defenses and counter-attacks even on issues where their claims were demonstrably false - voter fraud, media criticism, crowd size, Russian hacking, Muslim ban, etc. It just seems odd to me they would take such a strong line on something that could be placed in the same category - 'he lied about something, but it wasn't a big lie and the administration has told dozens of them in the last three weeks, just see the President's twitter feed - move on, he's in.' But, instead they treated it as very serious and let him go (or asked for his resignation) without a fight.

The mistrustful anti-administration stance would be to say 'look, these guys have no loyalty and looks like we're seeing who is the strongest as the in-fighting intensifies (indications are LTG(R) Flynn ran afoul of having been dishonest with the VP, who does not seem to have been in a forgiving mood).'

But, a more charitable view might be to say 'maybe the narrative about the administration being packed with Russian stooges is off - they seem to have taken LTG(R) Flynn's pro-Russian actions very seriously.'

The truth could of course be a combination of related - or totally unrelated things - but given some of the issues with other cabinet nominees this seemed like an aberration from the norm in the administration. Still, I guess the administration is new enough we don't know exactly what the 'norm' is yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back