The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
View attachment 18182

Dear Congressman Richmond,

In reference to the above photograph, this is why you leave the jokes to the professionals.

First, it was not even funny, second, it did not appear to be the right type of venue, and finally, from what I've heard about Ms. Conway, she is the wrong woman in Washington to be on the bad side of.

Chelsea Clinton defends Kellyanne after Richmond's joke | Daily Mail Online

Hard agree. This was a terrible joke, and even if you disagree with Kellyanne's politics this is not the kind of comment you make.

Completely agree BUT it's become the standard response by the extreme left.

The mental thing is that all she's "guilty" of is being on the other side of the political spectrum to people like that cunt of a Congressman.

How any politician feels that's an appropriate way to conduct themselves and speak about people in public is beyond me.

Completely agree BUT it's become the standard response by the extreme left.
I wouldn't say that it's become the standard response by the extreme left, but the left has definitely become more comfortable with saying extremely crude and sexist things about conservative women before being called on it. I really don't like that one bit. Just because your side usually supports feminism and equality doesn't mean you get carte blanche to use all of those nasty insults against women with whom you disagree.

I wouldn't say that it's become the standard response by the extreme left, but the left has definitely become more comfortable with saying extremely crude and sexist things about conservative women before being called on it. I really don't like that one bit. Just because your side usually supports feminism and equality doesn't mean you get carte blanche to use all of those nasty insults against women with whom you disagree.

Exactly...

It feels like this story is gaslighting me somehow. I could've sworn that wiretaps were acknowledged to have been done on four Trump campaign subordinates. In fact, I seem to recall that those FISA taps revealed that Michael Flynn was talking with the Russian ambo after the election. Am I getting my wires crossed here? Or is there a technical detail that's missing, like - Trump Tower itself was not tapped, but the communications of foreign agents were monitored who happened to place calls to Trump Tower?

BBC writes story about wiretapping citing anonymous sources.

Limbaugh and Levin 'connect the dots' with no original/additional reporting, citing stories with anonymous sources.

Breitbart conglomerates all that information and writes story. No additional facts/reporting.

President Trump flips shit and starts tweeting less than 12 hours after the Breitbart story.

Anyone wanna bet no one ever says. 'You know, our bad here, turns out this was fake news and we got excited and made allegations that weren't founded.'? Anyone?

In the midst of all this re-invigorated cloak and dagger bullshit, the re-written travel ban (it's not a ban!) was filed. Almost, like, on purpose or something. You know, in a way to manipulate the news cycle and pull the ole Kansas City shuffle.

:rolleyes:

'Gaslighting' is a great term in this whole situation, @Salt USMC

ETA- the hypocrisy is choking. Why isn't the White House screaming about naming the sources instead of running with the allegation? Why isn't the response, 'We aren't going forward until these sources are outed and verfified?'

Last edited:
So let's talk policy

There's a growing discourse amongst European national security folks about the need to shift the deterrence role away from the United States and on to France and Great Britain. Although it's just talk right now, this represents a dramatic shift in natsec orthodoxy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/world/europe/european-union-nuclear-weapons.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/world&action=click&contentCollection=world&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
BERLIN — An idea, once unthinkable, is gaining attention in European policy circles: a European Union nuclear weapons program.

Under such a plan, France’s arsenal would be repurposed to protect the rest of Europe and would be put under a common European command, funding plan, defense doctrine, or some combination of the three. It would be enacted only if the Continent could no longer count on American protection.

Though no new countries would join the nuclear club under this scheme, it would amount to an unprecedented escalation in Europe’s collective military power and a drastic break with American leadership.

Analysts say that the talk, even if it never translates into action, demonstrates the growing sense in Europe that drastic steps may be necessary to protect the postwar order in the era of a Trump presidency, a resurgent Russia and the possibility of an alignment between the two.

Even proponents, who remain a minority, acknowledge enormous hurdles. But discussion of a so-called “Eurodeterrent” has entered the mainstream — particularly in Germany, a country that would be central to any plan but where antinuclear sentiment is widespread.

Jana Puglierin of the German Council on Foreign Relations said that a handful of senior European officials had “for sure triggered a public debate about this, taking place in newspapers and journals, radio interviews and TV documentaries.”

She added: “That in itself is remarkable. I am indeed very astonished that we discuss this at all.”

This is seriously scary stuff. The fact that this kind of 'plan B' is even being given serious consideration is a pretty strong indicator that Europe is losing faith in our commitment to defense agreements. That alone should be incredibly alarming. I genuinely hope that it doesn't come to that. The president needs to drop these silly Twitter feuds and publicly re-affirm our commitment to NATO. Not just Jim Mattis - President Trump needs to reassure our allies that we'll actually be there for them.

I don't even know how that's a good idea as the UK and French Armies just went through significant reduction and structure changes. Germany has the largest land based component within the EU.

So let's talk policy

There's a growing discourse amongst European national security folks about the need to shift the deterrence role away from the United States and on to France and Great Britain. Although it's just talk right now, this represents a dramatic shift in natsec orthodoxy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/world/europe/european-union-nuclear-weapons.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/world&action=click&contentCollection=world&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

This is seriously scary stuff. The fact that this kind of 'plan B' is even being given serious consideration is a pretty strong indicator that Europe is losing faith in our commitment to defense agreements. That alone should be incredibly alarming. I genuinely hope that it doesn't come to that. The president needs to drop these silly Twitter feuds and publicly re-affirm our commitment to NATO. Not just Jim Mattis - President Trump needs to reassure our allies that we'll actually be there for them.

<What follows is directed at the points made in the article, not at my Salty friend>

Ok then, let's talk policy.

There is indeed a "commitment" issue when it comes to NATO, but it's on the part of the Europeans, not the Americans. America is (quite rightly, in my opinion) tired of Europe freeriding on the the US-funded NATO gravy train. NATO member countries are supposed to contribute 2% of their GDP to defense. Almost none of them (2/28, I think?) do. Many of Europe's ground forces, considered in whole, are inexperienced, "overstretched," poorly funded, and ill-equipped. They are not pulling their own weight. They are not ready. NATO overlies on American military and economic power. America is tired of it and wants NATO to step up their game. I think that's a pretty reasonable policy.

And as much as people would like it to be, this problem did not start with, nor is it confined to, the Trump administration, nor is it limited to European financial contribution to their own defense. It has been a problem for a long, long time. The US has other grievances as well: they were pretty pissed about NATO's contributions (or lack thereof) during the GWOT. And let's not forget the fact that NATO member Turkey wouldn't even let the US cross their territory into Iraq.

I'm not blaming any other country for doing what they think was right for their nation. I'm just pointing out some reasons why current policy is the way it is. Nor am I claiming that the US underwrites NATO economically and militarily out of blind altruism. It's very good for us as well. But it could be--it needs to be--better.

When it comes to the US commitment to the alliance, the sitting Vice President of the United States declared, in Germany, mere weeks ago, that the US commitment to NATO is "unwavering." But he also stipulated that the Europeans need to do their parts. I think that's totally reasonable. But hey, some people in Europe cooked up some half-assed, utterly unobtainable policy that ignores very basic issues of sovereignty and political realism so let's run with that as an indicator of future US foreign policy!

The EU can't even get people to agree on a common monetary policy, and they're going to have one, combined military command? Under the French? With nukes? This article is ridiculous fear-mongering. A French-led "eurodeterrent?" Without the United States? O_o Against whom, the Italians? Because they're sure not going to deter the Russians.
Those aren't French tanks in Poland (well, I mean there were, but they left. In 2015. After two months). Those aren't German troops taking the lead in Ukraine. The Baltic states aren't begging for the Brits. America is committed to NATO, and I think it's only reasonable to expect the other member nations to AT LEAST meet their agreed-to obligations.

How well did a US-less "deterrent" work out for Europe in the last two World Wars? That idea briefs well, but even if they COULD pull it off politically they can't afford it. The United States of America, the world's best economy, contributes 3.5% of their GDP to defense. The countries of European Union only spend 1.5%. Only five of the 28 NATO countries are contributing their targeted share of GDP to their own defense... and guess what? Germany and France aren't in that number.

No European military, individually or en masse, has the logistical, economic, intelligence, or experiential "ass" to pull something like this off. If it's anything between managing low-level conflict against third-rate non-state actors, or all-out nuclear war, the armies of Europe are ill-suited to handle it without the United States. And they know it.

France is always trying to start shit about NATO. In fact, they quit NATO's military command structure once before. And then, in 2009, they came back. Why? Because it's one of the best deals going. Even the Germans, who have the best economy in Europe and probably one of the best armies, recognize they need the US. They're not going to jump in bed with the French, not over something as important as national security. Not at the expense of their relationship with the US.

But hey, if they don't want to, they always have the French...:rolleyes:

Although I liked your post. The Germans are already in bed with the French. From cross training in exercises and school assignments to the Franco-German Brigade, officers assigned to EuroCorps and French RRC. Now are the French in bed with the Germans? I didn't see any of that with my eye balls.

Considering our vaunted partnership in Afghanistan was paid for by America, yeah...NATO needs to do more. The mere concept of a joint nuclear command is laughable.

FACT SHEET: U.S. Contributions to NATO Capabilities

Common Funding supports, among other things, certain Alliance operational costs (such as in Afghanistan or Kosovo); NATO AWACS....

The NAEW&C consists of 16 E-3A AWACS aircraft based in Geilenkirchen, Germany. The aircraft have had an important presence in NATO campaigns in Afghanistan, Libya, Kosovo, and the Mediterranean, as well as recently in assurance measures in the East and in Turkey. Sixteen nations contribute funding for modernization programs and certain operational costs related to the NAEW&C force, and the UK makes contributions-in-kind from its national inventory of 6 E-3D AWACS aircraft based in Waddington, UK. The two largest contributors are the U.S. (with a 40 percent cost share) and Germany (27 percent).

Ten NATO allies plus two Partnership for Peace countries work under a Memorandum of Understanding to operate three Boeing C-17 strategic transport aircraft out of Papa Air Base, Hungary. The participating nations each control a proportional share of the available fight hours, based on their respective acquisition cost shares, and may choose to make their hours available to support operations led by nations, by NATO or by the European Union. The U.S. acquisition cost share was 33 percent (for which the United States provided one C-17 aircraft as its contribution). The U.S. annual operations cost share is 31 percent (of a total annual cost of $153 million).

40 percent of the NATO AWACS mission and 31 percent of the C17 program for which we allegedly receive roughly 30 percent of the flight hours out of 10 nations?

I don't know our percentage of support for NATO deployments to Afghanistan, but I had a former NATO staff officer tell me point-blank that Poland refused to go without a sizable contribution from the US. That was particularly galling given their...."suboptimal" performance in Ghazni province....

NATO needs to chiggity check itself.

Man, sometimes you just cannot make this shit up.

Ben Carson likens slaves to immigrants in first speech | Daily Mail Online

'A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.'
'But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.'

upload_2017-3-6_20-41-12.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back