The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect, sir, but do your qualifications match exactly to your peers? This is not meant as a personal question, but an economic one. Qualifications and employer discretion mean a lot in determining wages. I would assume that a highly trained SF medic with extensive trauma training and instructor experience combined with a degree from one of THE top nursing programs in the nation likely demands a higher pay differential than a similarly qualified BSN/RN. If not, then the non-medical related experience is likely of great additional value.

I mention this because my mother had a "similar" situation. My mother spent a lot of time working the books for local business when I was younger before she went back to school to get her BSN/RN. She worked many nursing jobs from NICU, Cath Lab, home health, hospital case manger, and 2 director positions to end up as the current director of cardiology at her current place. Despite her similar nursing experience and qualifications with her peers, her business qualifications added to her value.

All this to point out that, unless you directly ask for someone's resume or have an extensive relationship with someone, you may not know an individual's full qualifications. In a true labor market, wage is determined by not just experience but qualifications and some of those quals not directly related to your job but which facilitate more efficient/effective job performance add to value. Also, every job/internship that I ever had (that didn't require a can of dip and a spit cup) since I was 16 explicitly told me, "Do not talk about pay" so it's difficult to compare with all peers except the ones you may be particularly close with.
This was not to single your post out, sir, just to add to the gender pay gap discussion.

I should have qualified, as a male after 5 years I will make more than my female peers ... male Nursing faculty make considerably more than female nursing faculty. This is regardless of me personally...

20 years ago a man could enter an RN program with a GPA considerably lower than a woman because it is a female-dominated profession. Now? No idea, but there's no way every job is looking at a resume except for a name and some basic quals.

This is still the case. Nursing is an extreme example, but a good one in my opinion. It takes away many of the variables, danger, educational variances, etc. the average male hospital nurse with a BSN makes more than a woman after 5 years...

No disrespect, sir, but do your qualifications match exactly to your peers? This is not meant as a personal question, but an economic one. Qualifications and employer discretion mean a lot in determining wages. I would assume that a highly trained SF medic with extensive trauma training and instructor experience combined with a degree from one of THE top nursing programs in the nation likely demands a higher pay differential than a similarly qualified BSN/RN. If not, then the non-medical related experience is likely of great additional value.

I mention this because my mother had a "similar" situation. My mother spent a lot of time working the books for local business when I was younger before she went back to school to get her BSN/RN. She worked many nursing jobs from NICU, Cath Lab, home health, hospital case manger, and 2 director positions to end up as the current director of cardiology at her current place. Despite her similar nursing experience and qualifications with her peers, her business qualifications added to her value.

All this to point out that, unless you directly ask for someone's resume or have an extensive relationship with someone, you may not know an individual's full qualifications. In a true labor market, wage is determined by not just experience but qualifications and some of those quals not directly related to your job but which facilitate more efficient/effective job performance add to value. Also, every job/internship that I ever had (that didn't require a can of dip and a spit cup) since I was 16 explicitly told me, "Do not talk about pay" so it's difficult to compare with all peers except the ones you may be particularly close with.
This was not to single your post out, sir, just to add to the gender pay gap discussion.

Also apps like glass ceiling ease asking about pay...

Sounds like they should file their HR complaint. The point was, the protest was bullshit, and I was going to chuckle just like the day without immigrants.

You want more money, become an asset. End Rant.

While the healthcare debate is roiling in congress, this cute little piece of legislation was introduced in committee last week:

C6Z2zI8VUAIikn4.jpg:large

20 years ago a man could enter an RN program with a GPA considerably lower than a woman because it is a female-dominated profession. Now? No idea, but there's no way every job is looking at a resume except for a name and some basic quals.

The teaching profession was heavily staffed with females, and the salary was what it was pre WW II. When men began populating the teaching profession, as the primary bread winner, teaching salaries began to rise. The same salary rise came to the Nursing profession in the late 50s/early 60s. Today. Nurses can pull down six figures, depending on where you work, and who you work for. The need for Nurses today is at a critical shortage point. All the post WW II baby boomers are living longer, and in need of health care. The salary cap for Nurses is approaching, but right now it is the field to go into, male or female. The salary rise now is driven by the Nursing shortage, more than the influx of male primary bread winners.

My $.02.

So...this happened in Alexandria, Virginia. Alexandria Public Schools cancelled school on Monday night for Wednesday's session due to the high volume of requests for time off. If I were in that district the next school board meeting would be awesome. 15,000 students were unable to attend school because these folks just didn't feel like doing their job. That's a fireable offense in my book.

Multiple Sources: Alexandria Schools to Close on 'Day Without a Woman'

Women's March Organizers Call for 'A Day Without a Woman'

Alexandria schools to close Wednesday during 'Day Without a Woman'

Readers React To 'Day Without Women' Alexandria School Closures

Awesome analysis from Politico-

How ‘A Day Without a Woman’ Could Backfire
"Rather, a group of teachers decided they’d rather engage in political protest than do their jobs, shutting down the entire school system and leaving working moms and dads scrambling to make arrangements."​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back