The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
<What follows is directed at the points made in the article, not at my Salty friend>

Ok then, let's talk policy.

There is indeed a "commitment" issue when it comes to NATO, but it's on the part of the Europeans, not the Americans. America is (quite rightly, in my opinion) tired of Europe freeriding on the the US-funded NATO gravy train. NATO member countries are supposed to contribute 2% of their GDP to defense. Almost none of them (2/28, I think?) do. Many of Europe's ground forces, considered in whole, are inexperienced, "overstretched," poorly funded, and ill-equipped. They are not pulling their own weight. They are not ready. NATO overlies on American military and economic power. America is tired of it and wants NATO to step up their game. I think that's a pretty reasonable policy.

And as much as people would like it to be, this problem did not start with, nor is it confined to, the Trump administration, nor is it limited to European financial contribution to their own defense. It has been a problem for a long, long time. The US has other grievances as well: they were pretty pissed about NATO's contributions (or lack thereof) during the GWOT. And let's not forget the fact that NATO member Turkey wouldn't even let the US cross their territory into Iraq.

I'm not blaming any other country for doing what they think was right for their nation. I'm just pointing out some reasons why current policy is the way it is. Nor am I claiming that the US underwrites NATO economically and militarily out of blind altruism. It's very good for us as well. But it could be--it needs to be--better.

When it comes to the US commitment to the alliance, the sitting Vice President of the United States declared, in Germany, mere weeks ago, that the US commitment to NATO is "unwavering." But he also stipulated that the Europeans need to do their parts. I think that's totally reasonable. But hey, some people in Europe cooked up some half-assed, utterly unobtainable policy that ignores very basic issues of sovereignty and political realism so let's run with that as an indicator of future US foreign policy!

The EU can't even get people to agree on a common monetary policy, and they're going to have one, combined military command? Under the French? With nukes? This article is ridiculous fear-mongering. A French-led "eurodeterrent?" Without the United States? O_o Against whom, the Italians? Because they're sure not going to deter the Russians.
Those aren't French tanks in Poland (well, I mean there were, but they left. In 2015. After two months). Those aren't German troops taking the lead in Ukraine. The Baltic states aren't begging for the Brits. America is committed to NATO, and I think it's only reasonable to expect the other member nations to AT LEAST meet their agreed-to obligations.

How well did a US-less "deterrent" work out for Europe in the last two World Wars? That idea briefs well, but even if they COULD pull it off politically they can't afford it. The United States of America, the world's best economy, contributes 3.5% of their GDP to defense. The countries of European Union only spend 1.5%. Only five of the 28 NATO countries are contributing their targeted share of GDP to their own defense... and guess what? Germany and France aren't in that number.

No European military, individually or en masse, has the logistical, economic, intelligence, or experiential "ass" to pull something like this off. If it's anything between managing low-level conflict against third-rate non-state actors, or all-out nuclear war, the armies of Europe are ill-suited to handle it without the United States. And they know it.

France is always trying to start shit about NATO. In fact, they quit NATO's military command structure once before. And then, in 2009, they came back. Why? Because it's one of the best deals going. Even the Germans, who have the best economy in Europe and probably one of the best armies, recognize they need the US. They're not going to jump in bed with the French, not over something as important as national security. Not at the expense of their relationship with the US.

But hey, if they don't want to, they always have the French...:rolleyes:

Hard agree with this post. Just like it is not correct to blame Trump for the EU getting ready to start requiring visas for US travelers. That is a result of the expiration of a two-year grace period that the EU had extended to countries that still required visas for certain travelers hailing from member states (In our case, Poland, Romania, and Croatia). Australia complied within the two years, we did not. Blaming Trump would be incorrect this time.

Was there something physically wrong with that woman? The only time I've seen pallor like that is on corpses or in the ads for those weird Japanese sex bots.

<What follows is directed at the points made in the article, not at my Salty friend>

Ok then, let's talk policy.

There is indeed a "commitment" issue when it comes to NATO, but it's on the part of the Europeans, not the Americans. America is (quite rightly, in my opinion) tired of Europe freeriding on the the US-funded NATO gravy train. NATO member countries are supposed to contribute 2% of their GDP to defense. Almost none of them (2/28, I think?) do. Many of Europe's ground forces, considered in whole, are inexperienced, "overstretched," poorly funded, and ill-equipped. They are not pulling their own weight. They are not ready. NATO overlies on American military and economic power. America is tired of it and wants NATO to step up their game. I think that's a pretty reasonable policy.

And as much as people would like it to be, this problem did not start with, nor is it confined to, the Trump administration, nor is it limited to European financial contribution to their own defense. It has been a problem for a long, long time. The US has other grievances as well: they were pretty pissed about NATO's contributions (or lack thereof) during the GWOT. And let's not forget the fact that NATO member Turkey wouldn't even let the US cross their territory into Iraq.

I'm not blaming any other country for doing what they think was right for their nation. I'm just pointing out some reasons why current policy is the way it is. Nor am I claiming that the US underwrites NATO economically and militarily out of blind altruism. It's very good for us as well. But it could be--it needs to be--better.

When it comes to the US commitment to the alliance, the sitting Vice President of the United States declared, in Germany, mere weeks ago, that the US commitment to NATO is "unwavering." But he also stipulated that the Europeans need to do their parts. I think that's totally reasonable. But hey, some people in Europe cooked up some half-assed, utterly unobtainable policy that ignores very basic issues of sovereignty and political realism so let's run with that as an indicator of future US foreign policy!

The EU can't even get people to agree on a common monetary policy, and they're going to have one, combined military command? Under the French? With nukes? This article is ridiculous fear-mongering. A French-led "eurodeterrent?" Without the United States? O_o Against whom, the Italians? Because they're sure not going to deter the Russians.
Those aren't French tanks in Poland (well, I mean there were, but they left. In 2015. After two months). Those aren't German troops taking the lead in Ukraine. The Baltic states aren't begging for the Brits. America is committed to NATO, and I think it's only reasonable to expect the other member nations to AT LEAST meet their agreed-to obligations.

How well did a US-less "deterrent" work out for Europe in the last two World Wars? That idea briefs well, but even if they COULD pull it off politically they can't afford it. The United States of America, the world's best economy, contributes 3.5% of their GDP to defense. The countries of European Union only spend 1.5%. Only five of the 28 NATO countries are contributing their targeted share of GDP to their own defense... and guess what? Germany and France aren't in that number.

No European military, individually or en masse, has the logistical, economic, intelligence, or experiential "ass" to pull something like this off. If it's anything between managing low-level conflict against third-rate non-state actors, or all-out nuclear war, the armies of Europe are ill-suited to handle it without the United States. And they know it.

France is always trying to start shit about NATO. In fact, they quit NATO's military command structure once before. And then, in 2009, they came back. Why? Because it's one of the best deals going. Even the Germans, who have the best economy in Europe and probably one of the best armies, recognize they need the US. They're not going to jump in bed with the French, not over something as important as national security. Not at the expense of their relationship with the US.

But hey, if they don't want to, they always have the French...:rolleyes:

I think you express US, and to a lesser extent British, frustrations with NATO very well. Additionally, I think you are rightly skeptical of any European-led military alliance – though, in fairness, those doubts are not at all downplayed in the article.

What I got from the article was less a solid security proposal – and more a shot across the bow by the European security establishment to the new administration. I think they’re trying to sound out the international security order on understanding if NATO will not meet European security needs they’ll find another way. I think attempting to send signals or warnings to this administration in anything that’s not a corporate memo is foolish. However, to those with the ability to understand those kinds of signals I think it’s something to take note.

Further, I think the erosion or disillusion of NATO in it’s current form is almost inevitable in a Trump administration. One can argue good riddance (I’m not one of them) but I think either way one should acknowledge the massive shift that will make in US influence in Europe and likely the world.

It’s probably a separate thread to talk about what we do or don’t gain from NATO or the international security order – I happen to think we gain a lot – but, here are my reasons to think the European alliance is doomed under a Trump administration:

The alliance relies on trust. The idea the US is going to backstop NATO security with money and force of arms. President Trump has made sufficient statements to seriously doubt his commitment to those agreements. When combined with his apparently cozy relationship to Russia it’s enough to give anyone in, or wanting to be in NATO grave doubts. Because of the type of President Trump is proving to be – one significantly outside the mold for good or ill – I think it’s impossible for that trust to be won back. You cited the Vice President’s statements. To take those seriously you have to believe the VP is capable of speaking for the President and assuring allies. I can’t see how you can look at the President’s behavior (or twitter feed) and still be willing to make national security bets on his word one day versus another. Even the President’s most ardent supporters are forced to say ‘he didn’t really mean that’ for a lot of the stuff he says and does. I think in the national security realm it’s very difficult not to give credence to the worst case – and be very skeptical of the best case. I think the administration finds themselves in that bind (if you believe the stuff is important enough to put you in a bind) now and will continue to do so in the international community for the foreseeable future.

What are we going to do with all the peace and quiet tomorrow? ;-):p:-"

everything you need to know about taking part in the women's strike | read | i-D

"We strike for an end to racist and sexual assaults, and all forms of bigotry," reads the Women's Strike website. "Reproductive freedom, full access, and no coercion. National Health Care for all. A $15 minimum wage for all workers, no exceptions. Protection and expansion of Social Security Childcare, free like the public schools, and paid family leave."

What are we going to do with all the peace and quiet tomorrow? ;-):p:-"

everything you need to know about taking part in the women's strike | read | i-D

"We strike for an end to racist and sexual assaults, and all forms of bigotry," reads the Women's Strike website. "Reproductive freedom, full access, and no coercion. National Health Care for all. A $15 minimum wage for all workers, no exceptions. Protection and expansion of Social Security Childcare, free like the public schools, and paid family leave."
So my cousin, whom is an ultra feminazi was we like wear red tomorrow to simulate the rebellion against [blank]. I posted on her page stating that I hope people understand not going to work tomorrow for this thing isn't the correct thing. She responded saying that the correct thing was for all men to donate 23% of their pay to women's charities. I let it go.

So my cousin, whom is an ultra feminazi was we like wear red tomorrow to simulate the rebellion against [blank]. I posted on her page stating that I hope people understand not going to work tomorrow for this thing isn't the correct thing. She responded saying that the correct thing was for all men to donate 23% of their pay to women's charities. I let it go.

That's because all identity politics ultimately comes down to rent-seeking. It's always all about the money.

This is a boycott/strike action "for" women, but it's totally OK to give your business to "female or minority-owned businesses."

So if you take out all of the women and all of the minorities, then this is directed squarely at...

When accounting for almost all variables the wage gap is significantly less significant than the 23% quoted. It is still a thing though. Even in a 91% female career field, I will make more than my female colleagues over a 5 year span....

Last edited:
When accounting for almost all variables the wage gap is significantly less significant than the 23% quoted. It is still a thing though. Even in a 91% female career field, I will make more than my female colleagues over a 5 year span....

No disrespect, sir, but do your qualifications match exactly to your peers? This is not meant as a personal question, but an economic one. Qualifications and employer discretion mean a lot in determining wages. I would assume that a highly trained SF medic with extensive trauma training and instructor experience combined with a degree from one of THE top nursing programs in the nation likely demands a higher pay differential than a similarly qualified BSN/RN. If not, then the non-medical related experience is likely of great additional value.

I mention this because my mother had a "similar" situation. My mother spent a lot of time working the books for local business when I was younger before she went back to school to get her BSN/RN. She worked many nursing jobs from NICU, Cath Lab, home health, hospital case manger, and 2 director positions to end up as the current director of cardiology at her current place. Despite her similar nursing experience and qualifications with her peers, her business qualifications added to her value.

All this to point out that, unless you directly ask for someone's resume or have an extensive relationship with someone, you may not know an individual's full qualifications. In a true labor market, wage is determined by not just experience but qualifications and some of those quals not directly related to your job but which facilitate more efficient/effective job performance add to value. Also, every job/internship that I ever had (that didn't require a can of dip and a spit cup) since I was 16 explicitly told me, "Do not talk about pay" so it's difficult to compare with all peers except the ones you may be particularly close with.
This was not to single your post out, sir, just to add to the gender pay gap discussion.

No disrespect, sir, but do your qualifications match exactly to your peers?

20 years ago a man could enter an RN program with a GPA considerably lower than a woman because it is a female-dominated profession. Now? No idea, but there's no way every job is looking at a resume except for a name and some basic quals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back