The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Don't get me started on the asset forfeiture program.

When equitable sharing was shutdown, you wouldn't believe the number of state/local agencies that either threatened to leave or straight up left federal task forces.

Please start... I'd love to hear your opinion.

While there needs to be a mechanism to seize the fruits of criminal enterprise, no one agency should be able to benefit from the results of a seizure, and assets should not be seized based on assumptions or accusations. I won't go into the particulars of AF on here other than saying seized assets are never sold until a defendant has been found guilty and exhausted all appeals.

I have always said, if you think the GOP with Trump is dysfunctional, the only thing that would have brought them all together was a HRC presidency. As messed up as Congress is now, imagine how much less would get done?

I think we're seeing that play out now - and it is not in Republicans favor. They were fine when opposing President Obama - they could pretend they had all these plans and ideas that were going to make things better. Was it 50 or more times they voted to repeal the ACA/Obamacare? Now that they're in power you see zero policy other than limited deregulation and the dismantling of the effectiveness of executive agencies.

Ultimately the alternative is unknowable but I doubt an HRC Presidency would have this kind of trouble bringing her own party in to line. The question is if HRC had won would any Republicans peel away and vote in her favor? If you look at the behavior of Republican Congresspeople/Senators in states/districts HRC won I think you've got to at least give it 50/50 odds.

I agree with your sentiment that we were bound to have extreme partisanship whichever of these two won. But, the courts would also have flipped the other way so I think HRC would have been in a stronger position to continue President Obama's policies than it would seem from a Republican controlled legislature.

Sean Spicer just resigned.

Sean Spicer Resigns as White House Press Secretary

WASHINGTON — Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, resigned on Friday morning, telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of the New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.

Mr. Trump offered Mr. Scaramucci the job at 10 a.m. The president requested that Mr. Spicer stay on, but Mr. Spicer told Mr. Trump that he believed the appointment was a major mistake, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange.

Last edited:
I think we're seeing that play out now - and it is not in Republicans favor. They were fine when opposing President Obama - they could pretend they had all these plans and ideas that were going to make things better. Was it 50 or more times they voted to repeal the ACA/Obamacare? Now that they're in power you see zero policy other than limited deregulation and the dismantling of the effectiveness of executive agencies.

Ultimately the alternative is unknowable but I doubt an HRC Presidency would have this kind of trouble bringing her own party in to line. The question is if HRC had won would any Republicans peel away and vote in her favor? If you look at the behavior of Republican Congresspeople/Senators in states/districts HRC won I think you've got to at least give it 50/50 odds.

I agree with your sentiment that we were bound to have extreme partisanship whichever of these two won. But, the courts would also have flipped the other way so I think HRC would have been in a stronger position to continue President Obama's policies than it would seem from a Republican controlled legislature.

I think if HRC was El Presidente the DNC would run like a well-oiled machine. They usually do. But I think had she won the GOP would be even worse than they were with Obama re: obstructionism.

Sean Spicer just resigned.

Sean Spicer Resigns as White House Press Secretary

WASHINGTON — Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, resigned on Friday morning, telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of the New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director.

Mr. Trump offered Mr. Scaramucci the job at 10 a.m. The president requested that Mr. Spicer stay on, but Mr. Spicer told Mr. Trump that he believed the appointment was a major mistake, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange.

Mr. Scaramucci once did an interview where he equated humans being wrong about a flat earth to scientists being wrong about the reality of AGW and global warming.

Mr. Spicer could hem and haw and look silly, but this new puppet can be a fire hose of misinformation.

I now look forward to information out of this admin. being weirder than a Twin Peaks dream sequence.

I think if HRC was El Presidente the DNC would run like a well-oiled machine. They usually do. But I think had she won the GOP would be even worse than they were with Obama re: obstructionism.

I see your point for sure. I do wonder though - because the expectation of most professionals was President Trump was going to lose. I think if he actually had lost the 3 states that would have flipped it, and were decided by like 150k votes (out of 12 million) in the rust belt, added to HRC winning by 3 million in the popular vote - it would have driven a different narrative. Namely, that the Republican party was doomed, blah, blah, blah. True or not it might have motivated some folks to deal a little bit - but again absolutely no way to know.

To me the great irony is President Trump had the same opportunity. I think the Democratic party was devastated after his unexpected win. He campaigned on a number of policies Democrats have more or less championed - affordable healthcare, increased manufacturing, better global trade deals, infrastructure spending, anti-corruption/lobbying. Right after the election he enjoyed close to 60% approval I believe - folks were willing go give him a chance and I think a lot of Democrats in government were ready to deal for the main reason any politician deals - to try and salvage their political future.

Of course, President Trump then began talking and tweeting so that 60% went downhill fast. Protests ramped up and you've got the morass we've been digging into ever since. I think it's tough for a President stuck below 40% with sky-high negatives to get much traction - even by people who agree with him/her.

I see your point for sure. I do wonder though - because the expectation of most professionals was President Trump was going to lose. I think if he actually had lost the 3 states that would have flipped it, and were decided by like 150k votes (out of 12 million) in the rust belt, added to HRC winning by 3 million in the popular vote - it would have driven a different narrative. Namely, that the Republican party was doomed, blah, blah, blah. True or not it might have motivated some folks to deal a little bit - but again absolutely no way to know.

To me the great irony is President Trump had the same opportunity. I think the Democratic party was devastated after his unexpected Winn. He campaigned on a number of policies Democrats have more or less championed - affordable healthcare, increased manufacturing, better global trade deals, infrastructure spending, anti-corruption/lobbying. Right after the election he enjoyed close to 60% approval I believe - folks were willing go give him a chance and I think a lot of Democrats in government were ready to deal for the main reason any politician deals - to try and salvage their political future.

Of course, President Trump then began talking and tweeting so that 60% went downhill fast. Protests ramped up and you've got the morass we've been digging into ever since. I think it's tough for a President stuck below 40% with sky-high negatives to get much traction - even by people who agree with him/her.

I was just discussing with a workmate how Trump actually campaigned on some typically democratic stances such as saving social security and Medicare. But Paul Ryan wants to crush those programs and he doesn't like Trump so he will not play well with others. Ryan is not the whole problem with this administration but he is a big part.

I think that's one of the tough things about populism - and the party system. You're kind of forced to work within the framework of your party. The Trump administration hasn't shown so far they have the ability to draft and push any legislation themselves - they've just been working through what the house or senate drafts for them.

Now that Spicer's gone, I'm praying that the parody account, @sean_spicier, stays active. My timeline will be a little more depressing without the fucking morons putting their holier-than-thou, foolish high horses on full display because they can't read a name nor discern a blue check mark.

The line has been crossed - POTUS's attorneys are now digging for dirt on Mueller and his prosecutors.

The million dollar question: Can a sitting, largely unpopular president maintain his place in office by discrediting or smearing every single powerful person who gets under his skin?

Seven months in and he's pulled it off so far; the boy may do it. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back