Things Every "O" Should Know

I look forward to seeing the advice and input in this thread! This stuff never gets old.

Sponge ready, mouth shut, ears open.

Praise in public and criticize in private!

Listen to the NCO's (especially those like CAR!)

Learn when they should look the other way!

Lead from the Front!

Don't ask anyone to do something you wouldn't do yourself! (excluding orders, I suppose)

Set the example/high water mark and be the benchmark that everyone should reach for!

Have the attitude that everyone you meet has something to teach you!

Be willing to get dirty with the troops!

Be humble and respectful! But be a leader that truly commands respect by actions, not just words!

Be strong but compassionate!

But then I was only an E-7 so what the hell do I know!

Lead by example.
PT out front.
Humility will gain respect, but be firm and fair to solidify that the respect is earned.
Every counseling session should give ways to correct the perceived shortcoming.
Respect for your rank is not the same as respect for the man.
Take advice from the experts (Senior NCOs)
Know when you are out of your lane.
Let NCOs handle NCO business.
Know when to back up your NCOs/soldiers to the Chain of Command.
You can only expect your soldiers to be soldiers if you are a soldier yourself.
Don't lead by committee.
and I second the following:
Criticize in private, Praise in public.

Free plays with dolls, NOT a good example at all.:doh:

Calling the BN S-1 a future war criminal and telling the BC that his plan is "stupid" are typically career limiting moves. Courage and Candor aren't really Army values. You can do the right thing or you can have a career, but you can't do both.

in no particular order:

-If you're in charge, be in charge. If not, give the guy in charge your complete support.

-While there is such a thing as "NCO Business," everything that happens in the unit you lead is your business. Do not abdicate your responsibility to your unit by turning a blind eye to things that you know are wrong.

-Be a student of your profession. Read everything.

-There will come a point where the Army won't be there for you anymore. Make sure you have something in your life that will be there for you in the long run. If you're smart, that something will be a family.

-You're in a profession that involves people. People issues are rarely black and white. Learn how to tolerate a certain level of moral ambiguity in others. The closer you get to the edge of battle, the more ambiguous "the line" becomes. Very few things are worth falling on your sword over.

-It's not always all about you, lieutenant.

-Sometimes you have to just say "roger sir" and shut the fuck up about it. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.

-Don't be that guy.

These all things that more civilians need to learn from as well. I agrre with you guys completely!

As a Manager
-I would never tell anyone to do something I hadn't or wouldn't do myself. And I always made sure I could do it better than most of my employees.

-I would come down on your dumb ass, but in my office when we were alone. A team is built by respect from both sides of the Chain of Command!:2c:

I dont have any direct input but I'll quote my former Brigade XO's advice to a CPT.

"You can be right, or you can be effective; choose one because it's rare you'll do both."

I never understood why one couldn't do both, but it sounded sage.

-Sometimes you have to just say "roger sir" and shut the fuck up about it. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.

Best one. Yes, sometimes there is room for discussion, but not everything needs to be discussed.

-Be wary of people who say things like "I get along with everyone." People who "get along with everyone" do so because they never take a stand on anything important. If you do the right thing long enough, you're going to start making enemies. If you're successful, people will be jealous. If you're innovative and open-minded, you will be constantly embroiled in controversy. If you make decisions, there will be those who will disagree with them.

But if you don't take a stand on important things, do the right thing, strive for success, be open-minded and innovative, and act decisively, you will be worthless as an officer.

Thank you guys for posting the aforementioned advice... I find it valuable as I get ready to start ROTC next fall.

a. Choose your battles wisely. There is a time to fight to the end, and a time to run like hell. Wisdom is knowing the difference.

b. Learn the basics, the small things. Every task can be broken down into its component parts. Losing sights of those small things leads to failure.

c. If you don't know ask. Ask; what don't I know about this.

- Pick up first, put down last.
- A caveat to the "let NCOs handle NCO shit"- true, and then be there when the NCO needs a hammer.
- Be humble, sit back and watch until you get your feet under you and some bigger rank on the uni- then stand up and start wrecking shit for your men. By wrecking shit i mean make a difference- and I also mean you arent going to make everyone happy.
- If you are going to be MY advocate and MY leader- you had better be on point. I WILL NOT make excuses for you to my men.

But if you don't take a stand on important things, do the right thing, strive for success, be open-minded and innovative, and act decisively, you will be worthless as an officer.

If you are going to be MY advocate and MY leader- you had better be on point. I WILL NOT make excuses for you to my men.

What they said.
Be accountable both UP and DOWN the chain of command.

NO EXCUSES. When things get FU, do NOT make excuses UP the chain on why it was Private Snuffy's fault. You sit in the Big Chair. It's you.

However, just because you sit in the Big Chair, does not (no matter what you may have heard in OTS, or ring you have on your finger) make you a better human being than Private Snuffy.
Private Snuffy MAY/May NOT save your ass someday...based on how you act today. SURE he (we all) needs a boot in his (our) ass somedays, but make sure it's fair, not just a "your turn in the barrel" type of discipline.
Don't ever just "shoot the messenger". Accept the bad news and DO something about it. Be accountable both UP and DOWN the chain of command.
:2c:

Know how the system works. Know how to do admin tasks. On the battlefield a radio may be your weapon, but in garrison email, Word, and Powerpoint are. Wordsmithing is a skill. The more diverse your unit, the more you need to know about how it does it's job and how your people do theirs. If you lose the loyalty or respect of your men you will never regain it. Be able to interact with anyone in your unit, regardless of their age or background.

Regardless of what the regs allow don't ever write someone up for a BSM for doing admin. shit.

Make sure your troops are getting counseled often, thoroughly, and fairly.

If you're in garrison and don't have training or recovery operations going on let your guys go every now and then. The ones with families want to be with them and the ones without them could still benefit from the time off.

Reward performance and initiative (awards, schools, promotions, special duty assignments).

Chapter your turds.

If you're SDO you belong at your post. Not home with your cell on.

Back