Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Absent any other place to talk shit about the French...

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs/NAUMANN, WERNER_0068.pdf

Don't forget the French were so trustworthy we threw them out of the CAOC in Qatar. This move to send troops to the Ukraine isn't out of character for those turds.
Same people who got tossed from the TS ATO during ALLIED FORCE because they were leaking the target list.
Same people who repeatedly warned Serbs that a SOF team was headed in Bosnia/Kosovo on a capture mission.
Same folks who refused overflight rights during ELDORADO CANYON.

Same people who got tossed from the TS ATO during ALLIED FORCE because they were leaking the target list.
Same people who repeatedly warned Serbs that a SOF team was headed in Bosnia/Kosovo on a capture mission.
Same folks who refused overflight rights during ELDORADO CANYON.

That needed a Love response, sorry our love emoji IS GAYER THAN FUCKING AIDS!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday Russia reportedly launched one of the biggest armored assault of this war ( allegedly involving 36 tanks incl T-90M judging by footage, and also 12 IFVs ) on Ukrainian positions near Avdiivka. The AFU claim to have destroyed at least 20 vehicles ( 12 tanks and 8 IFVs ). The Javelin was deployed in that battle.

Warning, it's very graphic.

Article on the battle:
The Russian Army Just Launched The Biggest Tank Assault Of The War

Russia also began to deploy combat robots recently. The AFU is countering them with drones. Is this the first large scale conflict, where this is happening ?

It appears that the AFU has counterattacked the Russian advance towards Kupiansk, managing to partially throw them back. Russians had accumulated massive resources for that operation many months ago.

Last edited:
Yesterday Russia reportedly launched one of the biggest armored assault of this war ( allegedly involving 36 tanks incl T-90M judging by footage, and also 12 IFVs ) on Ukrainian positions near Avdiivka. The AFU claim to have destroyed at least 20 vehicles ( 12 tanks and 8 IFVs ). The Javelin was deployed in that battle.

Article on the battle:

Russia also began to deploy combat robots recently. The AFU is countering them with drones. Is this the first large scale conflict, where this is happening ?

It appears that the AFU has counterattacked the Russian advance towards Kupiansk, managing to partially throw them back. Russians had accumulated massive resources for that operation many months ago.

Well, at :30 sec in, one of those destroyed IFVs is a Volkswagen Beetle.

Article on the battle:

1712096687050.png

Not an armored guy, but all hits look to be on roads. I’m thinking that off road is a no go due to mines as it was a few months ago. Thoughts?

I think that is still it and for a brief period they had changed their tactics because of that but it slowed down their progress. So because of pressure from top, they resorted back to convoy charges. Just keep sending more every day and grind through. They did that at Avdiivka over and over, losing some 400+ AFVs and crazy number of manpower. But they won that battle. Seems that’s the way their leadership sees things, idk. I honestly have no idea what to think of this.
Its crazy to me.

Last edited:
I think that is still it and for a brief period they had changed their tactics because of that but it slowed down their progress. So because of pressure from top, they resorted back to convoy charges. Just keep sending more every day and grind through. They did that at Avdiivka over and over, losing some 400+ AFVs and crazy number of manpower. But they won that battle. Seems that’s the way their leadership sees things, idk. I honestly have no idea what to think of this.
Its crazy to me.
Yep, numbers have its' own quality.

Its crazy to me.

The US and Germany have provided artillery and/ or rockets capable of delivering anti-tank mines.

With zero experience on the topic I'd like to think mines are harder to see in fields and muddy areas than roads; probably a pretty safe bet. The Sovi..."Russians" have traditionally resorted to using mechanical means of clearing minefields and by that I mean "good luck, Comrade" as they charge into the minefield.

While not a tanker, cross country speeds and road speeds aren't the same.

I'll bet a dollar that's why they barrel down a road and hope for the best. Plus you have drones and whatever else in their arsenal. I'd love to meet a tank or IFV crewman who has survived from the invasion to the present.

The Russiets won The Great Patriotic War by using massive artillery barrages followed by suicidal human wave charges. They have not placed a premium on human life since forever. What we're seeing in the Ukraine is practically in their DNA.

The US and Germany have provided artillery and/ or rockets capable of delivering anti-tank mines.

With zero experience on the topic I'd like to think mines are harder to see in fields and muddy areas than roads; probably a pretty safe bet. The Sovi..."Russians" have traditionally resorted to using mechanical means of clearing minefields and by that I mean "good luck, Comrade" as they charge into the minefield.

While not a tanker, cross country speeds and road speeds aren't the same.

I'll bet a dollar that's why they barrel down a road and hope for the best. Plus you have drones and whatever else in their arsenal. I'd love to meet a tank or IFV crewman who has survived from the invasion to the present.

The Russiets won The Great Patriotic War by using massive artillery barrages followed by suicidal human wave charges. They have not placed a premium on human life since forever. What we're seeing in the Ukraine is practically in their DNA.
Was actually just talking to a Marine vet yesterday about this exact topic. During the Cold War we were so worried that the Russians would just suicide blitz us like they did to all of their enemies, so we apparently put a huge emphasis on cold weather training. Historically almost all of their wars were fought by just using overwhelming numbers with a clear disregard for the value of a life it seems.

Was actually just talking to a Marine vet yesterday about this exact topic. During the Cold War we were so worried that the Russians would just suicide blitz us like they did to all of their enemies, so we apparently put a huge emphasis on cold weather training. Historically almost all of their wars were fought by just using overwhelming numbers with a clear disregard for the value of a life it seems.

I'm not sure about the cold weather training in general, maybe that was more of a Marine thing? I don't know.

I do know we considered Norway not just a NATO member, but vital if WWIII happened because of it being NATO's left flank. Maybe that was a Marine focus for Europe in WWIII? It would make sense.

We were so worried about Soviet tactics we developed short range tactical nukes to counter the threat. We have a member who commanded one such platoon, but I won't out him. Crazy stuff though.

Even the vaunted A-10...I read a pilot's account of flying the A-10 in Germany during the 80's. He said their Day One response profile would basically kill every A-10 or render the squadrons combat ineffective.

I'd still take that threat over this GWOT bullshit any day of the week.

I'm not sure about the cold weather training in general, maybe that was more of a Marine thing? I don't know.

I do know we considered Norway not just a NATO member, but vital if WWIII happened because of it being NATO's left flank. Maybe that was a Marine focus for Europe in WWIII? It would make sense.

We were so worried about Soviet tactics we developed short range tactical nukes to counter the threat. We have a member who commanded one such platoon, but I won't out him. Crazy stuff though.

Even the vaunted A-10...I read a pilot's account of flying the A-10 in Germany during the 80's. He said their Day One response profile would basically kill every A-10 or render the squadrons combat ineffective.

I'd still take that threat over this GWOT bullshit any day of the week.
Yeah he said they were doing cold weather training in Norway because of how valuable it was to NATO. Not sure if it was just a Marine thing for back then or if it was more kept on the down low, never asked him.

Just an aside…The Russians on the defensive—as with Napoleon and Hitler—used the strategy of retreat, sucking their enemies into the vast interior and letting the Russian winter do its thing. But they could afford to do that…the Ukrainians cannot.

Speaking of mines, when my kid was at the Naval Surface Weapons Center he was working on flying mines.
Wasn’t that also a Finnish strategy? Pretty sure there was a whole war that just involved freezing Russia with its own cold weather game.

Back