Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Interesting capture from Russian State TV. There have been a few pics of the Soviet flag flying on tanks since just about Day 1 of this invasion and I generally don't make too much of that stuff. However, what will the Russian people think if they increasingly see a return of the Soviet flag? Will they embrace it (is there "good" nostalgia with that?) or will they say "whoa, time out here"...

I'll just leave you with this... Where is she?
“Madam Vice President, you’re a few words short of your word count, so just throw in a few cardinal directions, and you should be good to go.”

Edit to add: everything I’m seeing says she’s in Poland. Now, I didn’t major in maps, but I think Poland is on the west side of Ukraine… unless she means the eastern flank of NATO? Or did she mean north? Am I so dumb, that I can’t even understand her dumbed down speeches?

She is a complete and utter failure. When Xiden can't embarrass us enough as a nation...they send her as a reinforcement to complete the job.

I refuse to dumb myself down enough to understand her elementary psychobabble....

Interesting capture from Russian State TV. There have been a few pics of the Soviet flag flying on tanks since just about Day 1 of this invasion and I generally don't make too much of that stuff. However, what will the Russian people think if they increasingly see a return of the Soviet flag? Will they embrace it (is there "good" nostalgia with that?) or will they say "whoa, time out here"...

I don’t care if they embrace the flag, I’m concerned images were shown on state-run Russian television. If the Russian government openly acknowledges the flags, that says a lot.

You know, I’m one those who at the height of that utter embarrassment known as the GWOT pined for a return to the Cold War. “The Soviets kept these shitholes in line” and all that. Damn near the entire planet is destabilized and now the Russians are getting the band back together?

Strong work, AWP. You really fucked up this wish.

I don’t care if they embrace the flag, I’m concerned images were shown on state-run Russian television. If the Russian government openly acknowledges the flags, that says a lot.
Concur 100%. You stated this better than I did.

I'll just leave you with this... Where is she?
I remember when she used to speak normal. The problem with her weird syntax here is that Poland isn't some backwater in 1866. It's pretty educated today and most of the reporters in that room are multi-lingual. So ever time both her and the other guy speak it degrades our positon. Like, hello, speak normally. Thanks.

So if they are flying the Soviet flag, they are not Russians. They are Soviets. We have no treaty or legal reason not to treat them just as some invaders waving say an ISIS flag, right? The Soviets are not a legal entity any longer, are they? No rules of war apply, as Putin says. Just a bunch of mercs?

I remember when she used to speak normal. The problem with her weird syntax here is that Poland isn't some backwater in 1866. It's pretty educated today and most of the reporters in that room are multi-lingual. So ever time both her and the other guy speak it degrades our positon. Like, hello, speak normally. Thanks.
I wish that were the explanation. Sadly, there's too much evidence to suggest otherwise. I honestly believe she just has no clue on many of the topics she's speaking on. I'll stop there.

I wish that were the explanation. Sadly, there's too much evidence to suggest otherwise. I honestly believe she just has no clue on many of the topics she's speaking on. I'll stop there.
Oh, she's been talking like this since she because the vice. She's despicable.

Also, this is hilarious.

Ukraine’s corruption prevention agency praises Russia's minister Shoigu for corruption in the army (VIDEO) | National Agency on Corruption Prevention

So if they are flying the Soviet flag, they are not Russians. They are Soviets. We have no treaty or legal reason not to treat them just as some invaders waving say an ISIS flag, right? The Soviets are not a legal entity any longer, are they? No rules of war apply, as Putin says. Just a bunch of mercs?

Depends on who is the declared hostile force in this situation - obviously anyone flying the Soviet flag will be assumed to be in allegiance to Russia so that should be another subclause in the ROE if this thing does turn hotter.

Mercs are going to be a different question with regard to how LOAC treats them, but any NATO encounter with them will have PR reasons to ensure they are treated the same as other Russian combatants. Or you could make the argument that they're essentially the same as Russian forces since their C2 probably follows similar lines to those of the Russian army.

Just some musings. Not saying this is for sure what's going to happen.

Since the USSR no longer exists its flag would be legally meaningless. It expresses nostalgia—which is certainly revealing—but it’s no different than a Marine Corps tank (remember those?) sporting a Confederate flag.

(Like this one at Gitmo in 72. Hard to make out but the flag is partially visible just to the right of the driver. Also note the Iron Cross which I think the crew added to give the tank a hint of Germanic badassness. The yellow writing on the barrel reads: Horrible Hog 8-))

Scan.jpeg

Last edited:
Social media/big tech, whatever you want to refer to them as, really does suck donkey balls. This whole arbitrary censor content and cancel culture drives me nuts. Several accounts I followed just to see what kind of ridiculous messages were being put out on the Russian side are now suspended. I found it very interesting to see how they framed things and balance it against some of the Ukrainian propaganda as well.

This is probably content for a separate topic discussion but there really needs to he a change. If social platforms want to take the position of censoring/removing some content, fine -- that's their right. But, that means they're also responsible and LIABLE for ALL content that gets published. They don't get to have it both ways.

Back