Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Here's a readable article Mearshimer published about Ukraine back in 2014 that sums up his rationale:

https://www.mearsheimer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Why-the-Ukraine-Crisis-Is.pdf

He did this in a video lecture at University of Chicago. I just reject his premise and this comes off as an apologist for Russia/Putin. Because Putin views Ukraine in a way that's not founded in reality, a country whose elections he's interfered with consistently over a long period, the West should abandon "westernizing" it. Even though the people of Ukraine have clearly demonstrated that they want to integrated into the European system.

But here's the video

He did this in a video lecture at University of Chicago. I just reject his premise and this comes off as an apologist for Russia/Putin. Because Putin views Ukraine in a way that's not founded in reality, a country whose elections he's interfered with consistently over a long period, the West should abandon "westernizing" it. Even though the people of Ukraine have clearly demonstrated that they want to integrated into the European system.

But here's the video
Yeah, he has a lot of controversial takes. One of the ones I disagree with is that allowing Iran to have nukes will make them a more-responsible state. I kind of think he's right on this one. I don't blame the West--this is on Putin--but I think it's easier to understand why Putin did it because of Mearshimer's explanation.

Cav people - talk to me about tracks on asphalt/concrete. If I recall correctly, if a tracked vehicle is going to be using road surfaces they have track pads installed to minimize damage to the road surface and increase traction - is that accurate?
Track comes with the track pads installed so that armored vehicles are operational on and/or off road.

Putin’s Miscalculation? Clausewitz’s Trinity and the War in Ukraine​

link

"“My view was that, based on a variety of factors, that the Ukrainians were not as ready as I thought they should be,” said Lt. Gen. Scott Berrier, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency. “Therefore, I questioned their will to fight. That was a bad assessment on my part because they have fought bravely and honorably and are doing the right thing.”

Why is it so difficult to predict the outcome of the current conflict in Ukraine? Why has President Vladimir Putin underestimated the will and tenacity of the Ukrainian people to resist the Russian invasion as well as the overwhelming global condemnation of his “Special Operation?""

Since 2014, Ukraine has held 5 drafts. Of the 5 drafts, 60,000 draftees saw deployment to Donbas. Is the figure that is quoted. No figure on the number of volunteers that saw deployment to Donbas. And through that entire period you had a US advising mission. But I suppose unlike in Afghanistan we didn't attempt to build an Army in our image, what we did do was buttress and upskill them.

But they also had a history as a people, of Central governance, and literacy.

But the biggest surprise in all this is not how capable Ukraine is, it is how incapable Russia is.

Since 2014, Ukraine has held 5 drafts. Of the 5 drafts, 60,000 draftees saw deployment to Donbas. Is the figure that is quoted. No figure on the number of volunteers that saw deployment to Donbas. And through that entire period you had a US advising mission. But I suppose unlike in Afghanistan we didn't attempt to build an Army in our image, what we did do was buttress and upskill them.

But they also had a history as a people, of Central governance, and literacy.

But the biggest surprise in all this is not how capable Ukraine is, it is how incapable Russia is.
I think your bolded point is the most significant. My experience was that the Afghans, and to a lesser extent the Iraqis, never really saw themselves as a coherent whole. The Afghans saw themselves as Pashtun or Hazari or Uzbek or Tajik or whatever, and the Iraqis as Shia/Sunni/Kurd. No doubt there are significant cultural and ethnic divisions in Ukraine (ethnic Russian/ethnic Ukrainian) but there was enough "we are Ukriane" there to maintain coherence.

I have heard that Zelensky has moved all media under the state and has done away with opposition parties. Anyone confirm that?

I think your bolded point is the most significant. My experience was that the Afghans, and to a lesser extent the Iraqis, never really saw themselves as a coherent whole. The Afghans saw themselves as Pashtun or Hazari or Uzbek or Tajik or whatever, and the Iraqis as Shia/Sunni/Kurd. No doubt there are significant cultural and ethnic divisions in Ukraine (ethnic Russian/ethnic Ukrainian) but there was enough "we are Ukriane" there to maintain coherence.

Absolutely. Much of the ME/near east is tribal, definitely not 'collective' like the cultures in the west.

I have heard that Zelensky has moved all media under the state and has done away with opposition parties. Anyone confirm that?

Pro-Russian political parties have been suspended until the war is complete. These parties only hold 44 seats of the 450 in the parliament. But he's not banning them completely either, they just can't execute political organizing activities...the largest is led by an Oligarch who's homies with Putin. The co-chair of that party is also godfather to Putin's daughter...

Ukraine suspends 11 political parties with links to Russia

Only source on nationalizing TV I've seen is from "The Week".

Zelensky nationalizes TV news and restricts opposition parties

From a war footing perspective, the country has been under martial for three weeks. And Nationalizing TV broadcasts for addresses makes sense. Generally we had some form of that here for a very long time, every time the president spoke, all TV stations cut programming and went to that speech. No idea if it is the same or not.

There's always questions on the casualty figures but this one is particularly interesting given the Russian source:

In effect, it appears Russia has the lost the equivalent to 1 1/2 U.S. Army divisions in less than a month. 😳 ...and it's strongly suggested that may still be a low number.

I've read a number of viewpoints as to contributing factors behind these huge losses. In addition to some of the more obvious things, like poor equipment, training, and tactics, another recurring theme is lack of medical support and casualty evac. One source questioned whether anyone had even seen any Russian equipment with red crosses on it. Supposedly, the 40 mile convoy outside Kiev may've contained a lot of med supplies before it was hit. Losing that would further inhibit Russia's ability to treat and evac wounded.

There's always questions on the casualty figures but this one is particularly interesting given the Russian source:

In effect, it appears Russia has the lost the equivalent to 1 1/2 U.S. Army divisions in less than a month. 😳 ...and it's strongly suggested that may still be a low number.

I've read a number of viewpoints as to contributing factors behind these huge losses. In addition to some of the more obvious things, like poor equipment, training, and tactics, another recurring theme is lack of medical support and casualty evac. One source questioned whether anyone had even seen any Russian equipment with red crosses on it. Supposedly, the 40 mile convoy outside Kiev may've contained a lot of med supplies before it was hit. Losing that would further inhibit Russia's ability to treat and evac wounded.

There were quite a few vehicles captured early in the war that had red crosses on them. Only for them to be loaded with ammunition.

Soviet losses in Afghanistan over a decade were about 20k; that’s 2,000 a year for Marines and Cav Scouts.

Now they have lost half of that in about a month?

I want to believe those numbers are true, but I can’t.
Since that's Pravda, which is effectively a Kremlin controlled tabloid, I'd say those numbers would be concerning for them. Because we're not at 10% of deployed combat power is gone. On Kremlin numbers...so the real number on the Russian math is approaching Ukraine/US maths.

Back