Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Even if we had the capability to defend against ICBMs, and we do not, we certainly can't counter the submarine launched weapons or any tactical size weapons that can be brought into the US.
Lose lose situation then. I live near the Redstone arsenal now. I imagine I won't know what hit me.

The threat of nuclear war with everything that is going on really makes me sad. I wish we could do away with nukes and go back to blades and bullets or maybe convince a bunch of assholes to chill out. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lose lose situation then. I live near the Redstone arsenal now. I imagine I won't know what hit me.

The threat of nuclear war with everything that is going on really makes me sad. I wish we could do away with nukes and go back to blades and bullets or maybe convince a bunch of assholes to chill out. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
I have family in that area. Lovely. Lots of jobs. Decent housing prices.

I have family in that area. Lovely. Lots of jobs. Decent housing prices.

I love northern Alabama and southern Alabama. The middle part not so much. Huntsville is a great town.

@Bypass , if there ever is a for-real nuclear exchange none of us are getting out unscathed. The difference between now and before the Iron Curtain fell is nuclear proliferation and the ability to transport small, tactical nukes. I am not so old as to remember the Cold War heyday of nuclear drills, but in the mid-90s when I as a paramedic and did CBRNE stuff, I did see a map of our area of Tier 1 targets, Tier 2, etc., I think all the way to Tier 8 or something. Not just military, but C3, infrastructure, high-tech nodes, major transportation nodes... pretty much the entire eastern 2/3 of NC would be annihilated. I would think the small, portable tactical nuke would not result in a worldwide trade of nuclear weapons, but I am not invited to the party for decision making.

I have been trying to find out if the US still has the Davy Crockett Weapons System in its inventory, but thus far I still can't get a word from anyone though I have sent my request thru 2 Congressmen. This was a system I was a member of back in the 60s to be used against the Russians. Nucks can come in any size or shapes.

I love northern Alabama and southern Alabama. The middle part not so much. Huntsville is a great town.

@Bypass , if there ever is a for-real nuclear exchange none of us are getting out unscathed. The difference between now and before the Iron Curtain fell is nuclear proliferation and the ability to transport small, tactical nukes. I am not so old as to remember the Cold War heyday of nuclear drills, but in the mid-90s when I as a paramedic and did CBRNE stuff, I did see a map of our area of Tier 1 targets, Tier 2, etc., I think all the way to Tier 8 or something. Not just military, but C3, infrastructure, high-tech nodes, major transportation nodes... pretty much the entire eastern 2/3 of NC would be annihilated. I would think the small, portable tactical nuke would not result in a worldwide trade of nuclear weapons, but I am not invited to the party for decision making.
Yes Sir, It really is nice here. I imagine if the blast doesn't get us the fall out will. My Niece and nephew are in the prime of their lives and I hate it that there is even a possibility of nuclear war.

I have been trying to find out if the US still has the Davy Crockett Weapons System in its inventory, but thus far I still can't get a word from anyone though I have sent my request thru 2 Congressmen. This was a system I was a member of back in the 60s to be used against the Russians. Nucks can come in any size or shapes.
So you're a Vietnam Veteran? Yesterday was Vietnam veterans day. You know you guys were the first ones to welcome me and my friends home. Thank you Sir.

I'm pretty sure it got phased out decades ago. I think my first exposure to one was at the Infantry Museum at Benning. I was like, "I don't think the range and the area of effect add up :) "

I have been trying to find out if the US still has the Davy Crockett Weapons System in its inventory, but thus far I still can't get a word from anyone though I have sent my request thru 2 Congressmen.
Removed from Europe in 1967, out of the inventory in 1971...https://www.military-history.org/back-to-the-drawing-board/back-to-the-drawing-board-the-davy-crockett-tactical-nuke.htm

When I was a kid, there was a Nike Missile launch facility right next to our local high school. It was run by the National Guard. These were interceptor missiles stored underground...the alarm would go off, these big steel doors would open and the launcher would come up. IIRC each launcher had four missiles.

About a mile away there was the Nike radar tracking facility. When Nike missiles were declared obsolete and the facilities shut down, the abandoned radar facility became our underage drinking spot. There was a 30-foot observation tower with a steel ladder and a concrete slab on top, open to the sky. We'd climb up there with our cans of Budweiser and drink. :ROFLMAO: A miracle none of us fell to our deaths.

This is the drinking tower. You went under it and the steel ladder was on the inside with a trapdoor at the top leading to the platform. See? The Cold War had a fun side.

View attachment 39196

There was a county in which I worked EMS that had a large, multi-fenced, 'compound' that some of the locals knew about, but many other people did not. Because I am nosy about cold war relics I snooped and snooped for information, turns out it was (is?) owned by AT&T but run by the government for a C3 location in the event of nuclear war.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/the-mysterious-military-compound.html?chrome=1

Removed from Europe in 1967, out of the inventory in 1971...https://www.military-history.org/back-to-the-drawing-board/back-to-the-drawing-board-the-davy-crockett-tactical-nuke.htm
I understand what has been put out there but having been assigned to a Davy Crockett platoon, I have some questions. Army denied the system existed until 2005 when spotter rounds were found. Said the system was retired and not destroyed. Contacted one congressman, before he left office, and requested he find out for me. He and I talked about it a number of times. Ran into him just before he retired and asked if he had heard anything back from the Army. He got real serious and told me he had never heard of the system. I then contacted his replacement and got a letter back that it had been sent to the Army. Waited for over a year and inquired. Congressman said to resubmit because the Army said they had lost my initial inquiry. Have resubmitted and still waiting for an answer to my questions. Makes you wonder why the delay.

I understand what has been put out there but having been assigned to a Davy Crockett platoon, I have some questions. Army denied the system existed until 2005 when spotter rounds were found. Said the system was retired and not destroyed. Contacted one congressman, before he left office, and requested he find out for me. He and I talked about it a number of times. Ran into him just before he retired and asked if he had heard anything back from the Army. He got real serious and told me he had never heard of the system. I then contacted his replacement and got a letter back that it had been sent to the Army. Waited for over a year and inquired. Congressman said to resubmit because the Army said they had lost my initial inquiry. Have resubmitted and still waiting for an answer to my questions. Makes you wonder why the delay.
TS+ clearance probably required. Interesting perspective you having been there done that though.

It wouldn't surprise me if one day, we found out that there has been multiple upgraded iterations since 1971.
Yep, No telling what the world hasn't seen and has no knowledge of existing. We all seem to be in a big hurry to exterminate ourselves.

It is said the final battle will be at Armageddon but if you ask me it'll be two radiation soaked guys having a shot of Jim Beam saying here's to the end of the world..

1648650547823.png

TS+ clearance probably required. Interesting perspective you having been there done that though.
If the Davy Crockett system had the same security protocols as SADM (I think they should since it used the same warhead), then a TS clearance and admittance to the Personal Reliability Program (AR50-5) was required...;there may have been a few folks with a Secret, but it would have been based on a Background Investigation instead of a NAC...I got real familiar with this as a Nuclear Surety Officer back in the day...

Back