Ukraine - Russia Conflict

It isn't their war. They are mercenary volunteers who went over because... emotions? Now, as the article stated, Putin has two American citizens in captivity. These clowns have given the Soviets a nice little PR coup, all so they could be freedom fighters?

I'm not going to be a hypocrite about this either. Think of all the folks who went to Kurdistan for what? Want to stay in the rea and help train or something, gotcha. Engage in front line combat, but it isn't your war? Morons. Want to proselytize for your god in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever and find yourself in need of a SMU taxi ride? Dumb. Those hikers or mountain climbers or whoever in Iraq? Dumb. All of these people had no business being where they were. Well-meaning do-good aid workers and the like? Fantastic, your humanity now means that we're sending Americans into harms way to rescue your ass, because emotional "need" to be over there? No, big boy rules. Pays your money and takes your chances.

In other words: dumbasses.

It isn't their war. They are mercenary volunteers who went over because... emotions? Now, as the article stated, Putin has two American citizens in captivity. These clowns have given the Soviets a nice little PR coup, all so they could be freedom fighters?

I'm not going to be a hypocrite about this either. Think of all the folks who went to Kurdistan for what? Want to stay in the rea and help train or something, gotcha. Engage in front line combat, but it isn't your war? Morons. Want to proselytize for your god in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever and find yourself in need of a SMU taxi ride? Dumb. Those hikers or mountain climbers or whoever in Iraq? Dumb. All of these people had no business being where they were. Well-meaning do-good aid workers and the like? Fantastic, your humanity now means that we're sending Americans into harms way to rescue your ass, because emotional "need" to be over there? No, big boy rules. Pays your money and takes your chances.

In other words: dumbasses.
Understood and a hard disagree from me.
They are not mercenaries at all, they are sworn members of the Ukrainian military. Not their war? This is a war for freedom, I’d say that’s right inline with American ideals. Russia has stated that this is the first phase of a plan to conquer other countries, very much akin to our friend Adolf, is it also your view that the Americans who joined the eagle squadron in WW2, or Canadian army pre 1917 were also dumbasses? Because I don’t see a difference. No Americans are being sent on rescue missions to get these guys, they knew the risks very well and decided to go regardless. Yeah I’m sure Putin is super happy to have Americans in his captivity, and that sucks, unfortunately it’s part of the game.

I have been/am a logistics supplier, a trainer and have been, very deliberately, engaged in frontline combat here in Ukraine, so I’m one of those morons that you’re talking about. I’m not beating my chest being all “proud” of it like I’m a chosen one, it’s just my way of helping in a worthy cause, it’s more meaningful than anything I’ve ever done in either the New Zealand or US Armies. There are thousands of foreign volunteers here, (including unfortunately more than a fair share of clowns), but we are here for the worthiest cause of all, freedom, and I think that means something.

Understood and a hard disagree from me.
They are not mercenaries at all, they are sworn members of the Ukrainian military. Not their war? This is a war for freedom, I’d say that’s right inline with American ideals. Russia has stated that this is the first phase of a plan to conquer other countries, very much akin to our friend Adolf, is it also your view that the Americans who joined the eagle squadron in WW2, or Canadian army pre 1917 were also dumbasses? Because I don’t see a difference. No Americans are being sent on rescue missions to get these guys, they knew the risks very well and decided to go regardless. Yeah I’m sure Putin is super happy to have Americans in his captivity, and that sucks, unfortunately it’s part of the game.

I have been/am a logistics supplier, a trainer and have been, very deliberately, engaged in frontline combat here in Ukraine, so I’m one of those morons that you’re talking about. I’m not beating my chest being all “proud” of it like I’m a chosen one, it’s just my way of helping in a worthy cause, it’s more meaningful than anything I’ve ever done in either the New Zealand or US Armies. There are thousands of foreign volunteers here, (including unfortunately more than a fair share of clowns), but we are here for the worthiest cause of all, freedom, and I think that means something.

I'm going to shoot you a PM. I have a few questions if you're willing to answer would provide me with more info before I respond. You'll either put wind in my sails or take it out, but I'm fine with either outcome.

I'm going to shoot you a PM. I have a few questions if you're willing to answer would provide me with more info before I respond. You'll either put wind in my sails or take it out, but I'm fine with either outcome.
Questions from AWP, I think they are important and the answers are ones that would benefit others so here we go…

“Are you still in the Guard? “
No I ETS’d last year.
“You are a sworn member of the Ukrainian military" oath, contract, etc.?”
I am not, though most volunteers are. I have a VA pension and when I asked the VA if signing up with a foreign army would affect that, I did not get a straight answer from them, only that being a contractor was OK, so I have refused to sign a contract. This has placed some significant restrictions on my actions here.
“Do you wear a Ukrainian uniform? Have a Ukrainian ID card?”
I do wear a uniform when I’m doing military work, the Ukrainian army is short of uniforms so there is a mix of Ukrainian camo and whatever else you have. I can’t get the ID card because I’m not a sworn member, everyone who is sworn in has one though.
“Are they paying you? Cash, gold, stock options, whatever.”
No because I have no contract, everyone who is sworn in receives regular Ukrainian military wages however.
“Are you pulling a trigger or doing non-combatant type stuff on the front lines like medic or CASEVAC?”
Trigger pulling/medical, same role as a US Army combat medic.
“The Americans and other foreigners you're around, good or bad people, how many were combat arms or support in their country?”
Most are just normal people who are motivated to do the right thing and stop the USSR’s westward expansion. That said there are a few people here that are a little unhinged, but they tend to self deselect or are fired by the units they are with. I could write more on this but another time. Most are infantry I’d say, with some support folks. Maybe 70/30 ratio.
“Are those former support types now at the front as infantry?”
Most yes.
“What percentage in combat, in your experience, are experienced pros from a combat arms background vs. support types of all flavors now working as infantry?”
Experienced pros? hmm that’s tough, 30% maybe. Vast majority are military, some are combat vets, most are not though.
The combat here is nothing like GWOT combat, we are the underdogs in a BIG way. Most combat is sitting in a trench being shelled until you either get hit or your unit eventually pulls off the line weeks later.

I think it's, for lack of better term, a missed opportunity on Putin's part.

If they'd successfully assassinated Zelensky early in the war they likely would have gotten away with it, but after the first few weeks I think that option has become untenable.

Once the war moved from initial invasion to military support rolling into Ukraine, I think Putin's space to do that without a NATO response had faded.

Back