US Army SOF Photos

Relative to the safety; that's what I thought as well.
Yep. Doing anything other than engaging a target with the safety off is a safety violation anywhere other than with a bolt gun at a sniper school... that I know of.

Very much enjoyed the input from Kyle and Paul, I thought they were on target. I also appreciated Paul's historical background on various shooting techniques. I don't have anywhere near the knowledge he has, but in my short time in SOF I saw how fast techniques change, and sometimes go in cycles. Today everyone is going apeshit about the Chris Costa triple-awesome-dodecahedron stance or whatever. Sorry if I'm a little apathetic. Next year it'll transition over to something else and everyone will forget what they were doing the previous year. I'll stick with the low ready, Paul and Kyle worded it a lot better than I could have.

When I went to SFAUC they taught the high ready. The next day we had dudes flagging the shit out of each other on the flat range because of it so they said forget it, go back to the low ready. So the rest of the class you'd see half an ODA at the high ready and the other half at the low ready because no one knew what SOP we were using that day. Urrrggghhh.

In twenty years the "cool new thing" will be a LCE.

When at SFAUCC they said it was individual preference. When teaching HN we taught high ready.

It's a Group level MOUT training block, kind of a lower speed version of SFARTEC.
The good thing about SFAUC is you get to go as a team, whereas at SFARTAETC you're with guys from all over the place.
Today everyone is going apeshit about the Chris Costa triple-awesome-dodecahedron stance or whatever. Sorry if I'm a little apathetic. Next year it'll transition over to something else and everyone will forget what they were doing the previous year. I'll stick with the low ready, Paul and Kyle worded it a lot better than I could have.
I'm definitely not a fan of the collapsed buttstock. Everyone wants the benefits of a longer hand guard, then they collapse their buttstock and nullify it.

I always thought of the high port/high ready as a SEAL thing- they seem to use like it.

I would roll with the safety off on an AK in the bush but with a M16 family rifle it's too easy to manipulate the selector.

Good point about the team aspect of SFAUCC!

The good thing about SFAUC is you get to go as a team...

So what's behind the logic of making it 18-series only now? Seems like that would be a good place for folks like us to learn/solidify SF-centric training. Unless, SWTG opens up SUT. :-"

All the time, unless you are shooting something.

Copy, I was always taught to patrol as a lead scout with the selector on auto, finger outside the trigger guard. Everyone else is on Safe. That's been our teaching since Borneo. You applied safety when you went into an LUP etc.

For urban if you were the first man in then we took it off and everyone else took it off as the cleared the door and the guy in front moved out of their arc.

Ravage, I take it you mean the CIF team? You are on the right track. They are expected to graduate from SFARTEC. It's not a pre-req though, you usually get put on a specialty team and then go to the school. As far as the ODA's are concerned, they will all go to SFAUCC sooner or later.

Copy, I was always taught to patrol as a lead scout with the selector on auto, finger outside the trigger guard. Everyone else is on Safe. That's been our teaching since Borneo. You applied safety when you went into an LUP etc.
For urban if you were the first man in then we took it off and everyone else took it off as the cleared the door and the guy in front moved out of their arc.

Interesting

Back