What’s happening in Iran?

People talk about Iraq's sovereignty like it is an actual thing. They are a pseudo puppet state of Iran, propped up by the US, and is only a nation because of a lot of blood and treasure over the last 4-5 years or so. The Iraqi gov't is trash, the country's leadership are petulant little children.

I'm not real wrapped up with where things are right now, but I know that I don't have all of the details and this guy killed and maimed how many of our servicemembers in Iraq? EFP's, anyone?

I guess we'll find out where this is going soon enough.

PMF refresher:

ISIS “did something somewhere” and Mosul fell...or was abandoned by Iraqi Security Forces...and there was real fear they would move on Baghdad. American position was this was an Iraqi problem to solve. Iranian imams made a religious plea to Shias to mobilize to fight the Sunni horde and protect the Shia shrines in Iraq.

More Than Militias: Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces Are Here to Stay - War on the Rocks
The Popular Mobilization Forces and Iraq’s Future

Which org had the capacity to transform a bunch of “farmers” into a capable fighting force?

The IRGC’s Quds Force specializes in foreign missions, providing training, funding and weapons to extremist groups, including Iraqi insurgents, Hezbollah, and Hamas. The Quds Force allegedly participated in the 1994 suicide bombing of an Argentine Jewish community center, killing more than 80 and wounding about 300. In the years since, the Quds Force has armed anti-government militants in Bahrain, and assisted in a 2011 assassination attempt on Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States. The Quds Force also plays a key role in support of Syrian regime forces in that country’s civil war.

Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards

Iran should make it's leaders drop their "revenge" rhetoric, abandon terrorist adveturism, and replace illusions of Persian grandeur with much needed reality check.
No humiliation, not even an apology. Just stop asking, no literaly begging, to be crushed and sent back to the stone age.

That's the only solution I see.

POTUS should address the nation and explain the “why now” as well as address the Iranian people to convey the message of support for an internal uprising against the authoritarian regime.

I mean, it worked so well for us the last time we supported a regime change in Iran. I'm being sarcastic, because it does seem like most of the average population of Iran would be supportive of a more democratic Iran.

The regime change thing is an interesting point though. I shared Trump's "Obama Iran War to get reelected" post in jest, but lots of people (on both sides of the political aisle) are already talking about this whole event being a CIA led thing designed to help Trump.

Iran should make it's leaders drop their "revenge" rhetoric, abandon terrorist adveturism, and replace illusions of Persian grandeur with much needed reality check.
No humiliation, not even an apology. Just stop asking, no literaly begging, to be crushed and sent back to the stone age.

That's the only solution I see.
Iran needs an internal revolution and a complete political reorganization or purge for any worthwhile change to happen. Bloodless change would also require parties in Europe and Asia to stop propping up the Iranian govt, which is doubtful.

At the moment the moderates in Iran are pretty much in hiding, in prisons, or buried in shallow graves. On the bright side with Iran's economy in tatters, people seeing their savings disappear, and the prices of goods/services skyrocketing, we might end up seeing Iran's hardliners hung by an increasingly desperate populace.

In the meantime, turning Iran's leaders and prime instigators into mushy meat piles might be the way to go. :D

Last edited:
I mean, it worked so well for us the last time we supported a regime change in Iran. I'm being sarcastic, because it does seem like most of the average population of Iran would be supportive of a more democratic Iran.

The regime change thing is an interesting point though. I shared Trump's "Obama Iran War to get reelected" post in jest, but lots of people (on both sides of the political aisle) are already talking about this whole event being a CIA led thing designed to help Trump.
Not meaning to butt in. I thought the CIA hated Trump, I figured it was still full of Obama acolytes and progressive holdovers. Has Haspel cleaned up the organization?

Doing Britain's dirty work was a horrible idea.

Equally culpable and a reasonable argument could probably be made the US more so. That was US dirty work as much if not more than the UKs.
Well, definitely culpable. We did the work, but a lot of reasoning was because Mossadegh was going to nationalize their oil fields which were at the time controlled by BP. Not sure what the US actually got out of the situation depending on which books you read.

Had I not read it myself, I'd have never believed that the Washington Post would come out in defense of the President.

1. As Quds is already labeled a terrorist organization, it is fair game. Congress does not need to be consulted.

2. Soleimani was in Iraq to meet with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis. Two for the price of one.

3. We weren't escalating - we were responding to acts and planned acts.

In killing Soleimani, Trump enforces the red line he drew on Iran

Well, definitely culpable. We did the work, but a lot of reasoning was because Mossadegh was going to nationalize their oil fields which were at the time controlled by BP. Not sure what the US actually got out of the situation depending on which books you read.

You got a stable and pro US leader for 25 years. It was a stated US policy objective so it wasn't done for fun or just to make the British happy.

Back