Which piston gun?

Thats why I stopped shooting high power matches with a M14 and started shooting with a NM AR15.

M14 rocks, I did a shoot once, a 2 by 3 foot target with a M1A1 (civie M14) Iron sights in about 10 seconds hit the target 4 out of five times.

(For the doubters, I have a witness who is in 5th Group)

My-Rifle.jpg

M14 rocks, I did a shoot once, a 2 by 3 foot target with a M1A1 (civie M14) Iron sights in about 10 seconds hit the target 4 out of five times.

(For the doubters, I have a witness who is in 5th Group)

I agree the M14 is the shit, I started shooting HP and Long Range on a SA (NM) M1A1. The NM AR's are more accurate and easier to handel IMO. When X's are the difference in winning and all that.

One of my last SDM classes I taught, I fired 10 round strings from the 800-900-1000yd lines with my NM AR15 using AMU 80gr rounds and stayed 1MOA. The (NM) M14's will pretty close to the same when new, but after a few cleanings and about 1500rds on the barrel its a wiled guess...

I'm getting a 5.56 rifle this time since I get lots of opportunities to shoot 5.56 on Uncle Sam's nickel. Down the road I want an M1A Scout (the SOCOMs are too heavy), but that'll be a discretionary purchase. What I REALLY want is a 416, but alas those have to stay at work.

J.A.B. - Good points about parts. A mil-spec piston gun would be a great thing (esp. if HK unfucks themselves and lets us have 416s). Whatever I end up buying (assuming a piston gun), I'll inquire about a spare parts kit (and/or armorer's kit).

Yeah I know about the MR but it's not in production yet and it won't be a German-made gun. I know it shouldn't matter, but I still prefer German-made German guns...

Going in for the kill tomorrow - it's just an order, but I'll post plenty of gun pr0n when I get it. I might pick up the .45 I'm lusting for tomorrow as well. :)

Well I went outside the box (because I didn't realize what existed out there)... I picked up a SCAR-L (aka SCAR 16S) and a Kimber Desert Warrior today. So stoked - I'll post pics shortly.

Shot the SCAR and Desert Warrior today. The reciprocating bolt on the SCAR has forced me to change my forward grip (I am usually holding onto the receiver). I might have to go with a vertical grip or just retrain my muscle memory to this new way. The recoil impulse is very odd. It's a nice slow push - absolutely ZERO muzzle climb. It's much softer recoiling than even the 416. I was very surprised. With the muzzle brake that's on it, it is LOUD. My factory sights were about 3 quarter-turns of the front sight low. Easy fix, but I was surprised they were that far off. The iron sights will just be for backup, since I'm probably putting an EO-Tech or ACOG on it soon.

The Kimber was REALLY nice. It's been a long time since I've fired a full-size, steel-framed 1911 (my other 1911 is a Colt Lightweight Commander with a bunch of work). They are so smooth. It was immediately accurate - no adjustments required. Follow-up shots were good. I may swap to one of those fiber optic orange front sights since picking it up was a little difficult. My buddy's HK45 was much easier to find the front sight.

Overall, good day. Both guns work and both shoot (reasonably) where I want them to. The Kimber DW will go back in my nightstand after a thorough cleaning, stoked with 230-grain Golden Sabers. :)

Back