Your 2024 relieved Naval Commander Thread

One was serious about doing Navy things, the other was block checking and doing social justice things yet cannot grasp why they are having giant issues now?

Huh, such a toughie to figure out why.

I also think that was an era in which COs had more latitude in doling out punishment. It seems like now ("now" being the past few decades) it's knee-jerking with no critical thinking.

Wasn't that directly after WW1 when the Germans who surrendered and were treated like crap, scuttled their spoils of war for the allies as a way to save the German Navy's honor? Or was this from something else?

You're thinking of what happened at Scapa Flow. My pictures are of the Honda Point Disaster.

Honda Point disaster - Wikipedia

Disaster at Honda Point

Curiously, I'd never heard of the incident until I saw I YT video with the story.

I asked a naval officer about this once, I asked something like, is it really that big of a deal to fire a CO for something as minor as a soft grounding? His response was that is basic seamanship 101, and an unforgivable act. If a naval officer can't manage that, they don't deserve command.
This wasn’t the first grounding that ship experienced during that deployment.

Admiral’s romance with Pentagon official could be central in bribery case

Wow.

Brought his mistress with him to negotiate a bribe? That's some next-level chicanery.

A career Pentagon official who had a romantic relationship with a married four-star admiral could become a key government witness against him, according to his lawyer and court filings in a high-profile U.S. military corruption case that accuses the admiral of steering work to a New York company in exchange for post-retirement employment. The woman is the only uncharged person who attended a key lunch meeting in July 2021, where prosecutors allege the Navy’s former second-highest-ranking officer, Adm. Robert P. Burke, 62, agreed with two executives to award a sole-source contract and help win further Navy business for their company in exchange for a $500,000-a-year job and stock options after he retired.

Read more at: Admiral’s romance with Pentagon official could be central in bribery case
Source - Stars and Stripes

Back