Back to the Shadows NSW??

The problem is, most people don't even try to get permission. They sell out their units and personal integrity for the almighty dollar, because they know they will most likely never get called to account for it...you don't get invited to the unit picnic and your former team mates say mean things about you

This. I wish I could like this more times.

I will put some personal thoughts on this a little later when I get them sorted out and put together in something more coherent.

This is so not relevant but it's almost midnight and I'm pissed off with the system I'm working on, the emails just won't send...but THIS forum is turning me off all NAVY SEAL romances for life!

I'll just never be able to read another Seal romance again...never. Thanks, guys!

He's a great writer. I wish he wouldn't write the things he's writing, but he's got talent. Anything you want me to ask him?
He couldn’t write about sensitive subjects if people with access to sensitive information didn’t run their mouths. I can’t think of anything to ask him. I actually have a signed copy of Not a Good Day to Die. I collect autographed books.

He couldn’t write about sensitive subjects if people with access to sensitive information didn’t run their mouths. I can’t think of anything to ask him. I actually have a signed copy of Not a Good Day to Die. I collect autographed books.

On this topic, I have an autographed "One Perfect Op" by Dennis Chalker if you're interested. I got it probably 15 years ago and read it twice and it is sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust.

See also: "Not a Good Day to Die."

I'm actually having lunch with Sean Naylor on Tuesday.

Wow. Have it on my shelf, terrific read and great reporting. I contributed to Naylor's fund a couple of times.

I think it was @busdriver who posted a recent aerial photo where you could still see the rotor blades of Razor 01 on Takur Ghar.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've read them but Malcolm Macpherson's account was also a good read as were Nate Self's personal reflections.

Razor 01 and 03, further evidence that a RPG can't bring down Chinook.

An AK retrieved from the battle is on display in the heritage museum at PJ schoolhouse at Kirtland:
20150629_150918.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered why that particular unit got the hit for UBL over a certain other particular unit. Is it crazy to think it was because the US government knew they would talk about it and they could keep the other unit out of the news?

I always wondered why that particular unit got the hit for UBL over a certain other particular unit. Is it crazy to think it was because the US government knew they would talk about it and they could keep the other unit out of the news?

Well, among other reasons, the overall commander of both of those units came from one of those communities and not the other. There were many other, more-legitimate reasons too, I'm assuming.

It is my understanding that it was just down to the AO: one unit had Afghanistan, the other, Iraq.
That’s partly true. It’s still fucked the unit that started off the fight and were failed by their leadership didn’t get to finish the job.

One of the greatest blunders in recent warfare: the Franks/Rumsfeld failure to send a Ranger blocking force east of Tora Bora.

Could not agree more with this post. I was still in the Corps when Rogue Warrior came out...everyone, and I mean EVERYONE had a paperback copy in their cargo-pants pocket. As a young impressionable Marine I remember feeling both awe and shock at his antics. There are some lessons from a leadership point that I still follow today, but his literal celebration of circumventing the 'rules' never sat well with me.

One story in particular always sticks with me, and for some reason I think of it often. It's been a few years since I've picked up the book; so I am paraphrasing a bit. Marcinko was in Vietnam and did not like the missions he was being sent on and was required to file a plan by "X" time for the following day. He'd file it at the last minute and begin it with, "UOD" (Unless Otherwise Directed) and write out the mission he wanted to go on, not the one his command wanted him to go on. His absolute disdain for nearly everyone whom he reported to was fascinating to read...and from his perspective he was "right". Those weenie officers above him had been out of the game too long and forgot what it took to fight a war...only Demo Dick and his merry band of SEAL's had what it took to get the real jobs done. Or something like that.

I've always believed that book in particular was a literal blueprint for the future perceived disfunction within the SEAL teams.

Good post man.

Back