Back to the Shadows NSW??

While it is currently en vogue to mock all things SEAL, I disagree with your statement regarding Murphy.

If guys want to honor a specific fallen Warrior by emulating a workout he did, how is that a bad thing and why does that have to diminish the deaths of those who fell before and after him?

Some of the people who did it, didn't know who he was (for one). One person told me "It's the cool thing to do" (because, you know, crossfit and all). One of my coworkers (she does CF) asked this morning if I did The Murph; when I asked her who he was, she didn't know. All she knew was it is something you do on memorial Day.

It doesn't sit well with me. If you are going to do it, you should at least know the who and why. And yes, there is a general thread within some of the CF-GR-SEAL fit workouts that if you are not/were not SO, you are lesser than.

While it is currently en vogue to mock all things SEAL, I disagree with your statement regarding Murphy.

If guys want to honor a specific fallen Warrior by emulating a workout he did, how is that a bad thing and why does that have to diminish the deaths of those who fell before and after him?

It's not guys doing it because they want to honor anything. It's a marketed event that has turned into nothing more than a CF talking point. People don't do the workouts for "regular" dudes that died. Some people do it with the understanding of what it's for, but most don't.

Murph had this workout, parts of it, whatever, and CF "honored" him with the name. "Honored" is in quotes because CF has shown itself to be a marketing juggernaut and cult. How many deceased, uniformed or civilian, have workouts in their honor?

My money (yes, a pun) is on a cash grab.

I went to a crossfit thing here and they had all those ones up on the wall. They said they were all American heroes. Cool but this is NZ, ya know? We've got our own impressive soldiers they could have been named after, if that's what you want to name them after. The place was owned by an American woman her ex-NZ mil husband so I can sort of see both sides but we don't usually go for that kind of thing down here.

Calling them "A Bit of A Bastard" or "A Wanker of a Workout" would probably fit in better here.

I went to a crossfit thing here and they had all those ones up on the wall. They said they were all American heroes. Cool but this is NZ, ya know? We've got our own impressive soldiers they could have been named after, if that's what you want to name them after. The place was owned by an American woman her ex-NZ mil husband so I can sort of see both sides but we don't usually go for that kind of thing down here.

Calling them "A Bit of A Bastard" or "A Wanker of a Workout" would probably fit in better here.

CrossFit HQ is the one that establishes all the "official" Hero workouts. Affiliates tend to fall in line based on that. The only time I have seen differences is gyms naming a workout after someone that either used to train there, or knew someone who did.

CrossFit HQ is the one that establishes all the "official" Hero workouts. Affiliates tend to fall in line based on that. The only time I have seen differences is gyms naming a workout after someone that either used to train there, or knew someone who did.

Yeah but honestly, who would know if they'd changed it.

Some of the people who did it, didn't know who he was (for one). One person told me "It's the cool thing to do" (because, you know, crossfit and all). One of my coworkers (she does CF) asked this morning if I did The Murph; when I asked her who he was, she didn't know. All she knew was it is something you do on memorial Day.

It doesn't sit well with me. If you are going to do it, you should at least know the who and why. And yes, there is a general thread within some of the CF-GR-SEAL fit workouts that if you are not/were not SO, you are lesser than.

Thanks for the response on this, my question was asked out of genuine curiosity. I was not aware of the Cross Fit connection, in context your frustration makes a lot more sense to me. I've removed my "disagree" from your post.

Yeah but honestly, who would know if they'd changed it.
A lot of people probably would, honestly. They list all of the Hero workouts on their website, and CFers are pretty religious about looking at that site and knowing as many of the named workouts as possible.

A lot of people probably would, honestly. They list all of the Hero workouts on their website, and CFers are pretty religious about looking at that site and knowing as many of the named workouts as possible.

You can't sniff asses and establish a pecking order without knowing someone's Fran time.

Fair enough. I didn't hang around long enough to know the ins and outs- as a student it was far too expensive in the end.

This one is Crossfit HQ official. RX Fitness, Mount Crossfit, SASSfit and Sabre Fit all have their own unofficial workouts named after lads. Go hit up Mark at Crossfit Takaknini, he'll run you through Tama if you really want :p He's been running WODs named after famous battles NZ fought in all through the Anzac day week.
---------------------------------
Cpl. Luke Tamatea
Workout of the Day

Tama
For time:
800-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 45/35 lb.
31 toes-to-bars
31 push-ups
31 front squats, 95/65 lb.
400-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 95/65 lb.
31 toes-to-bars
31 push-ups
31 hang power cleans, 135/95 lb.
200-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 135/95 lb.

Believe me, both of those groups have their share of braggarts. Ego and Pride aren't respecters of persons or groups.

Definitely true, I guess by braggart I meant , as far as broad spectrum, it hasn't been apparent in the media that those guys were flaunting or cashing in on their service compared to seals. I mean those book covers Teufel posted speak for themselves, no disrespect to any men/women that serve anywhere in any branch.

This one is Crossfit HQ official. RX Fitness, Mount Crossfit, SASSfit and Sabre Fit all have their own unofficial workouts named after lads. Go hit up Mark at Crossfit Takaknini, he'll run you through Tama if you really want :p He's been running WODs named after famous battles NZ fought in all through the Anzac day week.
---------------------------------
Cpl. Luke Tamatea
Workout of the Day

Tama
For time:
800-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 45/35 lb.
31 toes-to-bars
31 push-ups
31 front squats, 95/65 lb.
400-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 95/65 lb.
31 toes-to-bars
31 push-ups
31 hang power cleans, 135/95 lb.
200-meter single-arm barbell farmers carry, 135/95 lb.

I think I'd need to do "basic treadmill" first :ROFLMAO:

A couple of the SEALs I meet where cool and told my dont be on that Hollywood shit and work hard and you good.

A couple of the SEALs I meet where cool and told my dont be on that Hollywood shit and work hard and you good.
Dude. Cease and f’ing desist. You are not funny, your grammar is a disaster and your posts contribute nothing of substance.

Take a voluntary timeout for a few days and just read the board and get a feel for it. At this point you are becoming an unnecessary distraction.

Back