Ballistic Missile Warning in Hawai'i due to negligence in a shift change...

Vaguely related point to use of multiple warheads on a target, but if the worst did happen it would be somewhat interesting to see how North Korea would divide up its arsenal, larger/more warheads against where.

Current estimates I've seen point to ~50 warheads or so. No idea about the breakdown of yield per warhead though but that doesn't sound like enough to give them a lot of options, relative to the number of targets that would be significant for them to hit. Does it?

I think you're missing my point like Michael Bay missed the mark, when he made Pearl Harbour.

Hey! Pearl Harbour is a modern classic, whether or not he turned it into an action flick while losing the overall meaning it's definitely one of his best.

Well you did get me to think

So the last supposed test was a 100KT Yield.

Although, I will say, this is all based on estimates...I'm surprised blast Thermal Radiation Radius would be 3.9kms.

However, 1.2 MT Yield would get you a Thermal Radiation Radius of 13.2kms. However, if one is coming, more are coming.

This is all based on the beer math from this conspiracy dude. NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

You assume it's a purposeful launch and not an accident or test launch gone wrong.
"Nukemap" doesn't look like it takes terrain into account, and the alert didn't say which of the 8 islands were targeted, so sticking yer head between the ass cheeks and kissing them goodbye may not be a good course of action.

As far as MAD goes, those artillery pieces set to obliterate Seoul are a conventional version of MAD.

Hey! Pearl Harbour is a modern classic, whether or not he turned it into an action flick while losing the overall meaning it's definitely one of his best.

That movie has Kate Beckinsale so any criticism against it is a hate crime to me. Burn the non-believers!

Conventional strikes tend not to apply to MAD Doctrine.

Please, just stop right now.

Those of us who actually have higher than BCT NBC training generally hope for the N part of NBC, as it is by far the easiest to protect from.

As for conventional strikes not being part of Nuclear doctrine, there's a fucking reason your stupid cav vehicles and every other armored vehicle have NBC filtration onboard as well as radiation monitors...it's not to fucking retreat, it's to go around the craters where it's safe to do so, then close with and destroy surviving enemy.

Jesus. It's like you slept through every military course you were tasked to attend, waking up intermittently when yelled at by cadre then grabbing hold of whatever you may have heard before falling back asleep, and retaining it for future regurgitation to attempt to appear knowledgeable with no regard to origin or context.

Fucking hell. You are the shining example of the quantity over quality death of the officer corps as a whole.

...and this is going south. I should have put a stop to this when you referred to a terrified teach as an "asshole" for doing something to try to save her students. Whether it would have worked or not.

@ThunderHorse - please take a break from this thread. Your comments of 'fact' are only causing frustration for the members who have actual knowledge and training on the topic.

Thank you.

If I had children and I received a call that I needed to come bring them dry clothes because their teacher put them in a storm drain as a result of the warning, I would stop first at the liquor store and buy the teacher a bottle of wine, or something, for thinking of ways to keep the kids alive. Even if it failed, they still tried. That is a rare characteristic amongst people nowadays.

Last edited:
When I was 8 or 9, I used to lie in bed at night--the windows were open in the summer--and any big planes I heard, I'd wonder if it might be a Soviet bomber on the way to New York City. I'd wonder if I'd be able to see the mushroom cloud from Connecticut, or if the fallout would drift our way.

High school in the early 80's my heart would skip a beat anytime we'd be watching TV and see: "We interrupt this program to bring you this important news event" (remember, there were only 3 networks at the time). When outside and I'd hear 'the sirens" I'd check my watch and pray that it was 1pm. Still, I'd watch the skies, waiting to see the ICBM's coming over the horizon.

If I had children and I received a call that I needed to come bring them dry clothes because their teacher put them in a storm drain as a result of the warning, I would stop first at the liquor store and buy the teacher a bottle of wine, or something, for thinking of ways to keep the kids alive. Even if it failed, they still tried. That is a rare characteristic amongst people nowadays.

Now, what if this were the only option?:

d22af8e8caeaef04898c63d4b954fd47

Tutu Pele might not take a large scale nuke lightly.

Joking aside. My concern ist be hunkered down in a bunker just to have the agitated volcanoes bury the survivors?

Still serious. All I know is Nukes freak out a lot of people. Dying freaks everybody out. So KU Med takes in a Ebola patient or two and FWIW I'm buying a lot of water as soon as the news reports it. The best and fortunate side of all of this nothing bad happened, except excessive worry.

Lastly, Castle Bravo's stranded scientist are a good example of surviving fallout/detonation. They made PPE with household items.

Last edited:
Back