D1 football conditioning/workouts good prep for SFAS and 18X pipeline?

TheKicker

Unverified
Howdy SS:

Alright, so I am an ex-D1 football player of two years from Texas. During our summer conditioning and camp we would run ungodly amounts of sprints, suicides, and a few longer runs (2-3 miles) every other week or so. We'd also do these things where you'd sprint 10yds, do 10 Green Bay's (aka burpees) and repeat up/down the the field twice each practice. My assistant strength coach was from the 75th and gave me a deck of cards. He told me to pull out 1 card, and do that face value of push-ups, pull another and do sit-ups the same way, and gradually work my way up to being able to do the whole deck in one sitting each day. Also, at the end of the pu/su card workout, I'd pull two cards, and run the amount of time that both cards added up to. Being a kicker/punter, I was never really given upper body workouts, but I had leg weighted workouts every other day that would have made Arnold proud which consisted of nonstop leg press, curl, extension, squats, single leg step ups, and single leg lunges.

If I were to continue this method of training (which replicates my summer conditioning and camp plan), do you tried and true guys believe I would be in good enough shape for selection? I also ruck 3 times a week between 4-6 miles as well as swimming and biking on my rest days as I enjoy them a lot. Not to mention I have started small amounts of supplemental upper body lifting as well (bench, curls, triceps pull downs, shoulder press/pulldown, raises etc.). I'll be leaving for BCT around August (plan on continuing to exercise through AIT, Abn, and SFPC) and have been doing the previous workouts for the past 3-4 months. A I'm all ears for suggestions and criticism. If there's any other former collegiate athletes out there who have gone the distance, I'd appreciate your input as well!

Thank you for your time,
TheKicker

Basic training is made to take people off the street and ramp them up to being soldiers.

Most athletes find it pretty easy (physically speaking) in the beginning. You'll also have the opportunity to run in faster ability groups and do extra PT in the evenings on your own.

Howdy SS:

Alright, so I am an ex-D1 football player of two years from Texas. During our summer conditioning and camp we would run ungodly amounts of sprints, suicides, and a few longer runs (2-3 miles) every other week or so. We'd also do these things where you'd sprint 10yds, do 10 Green Bay's (aka burpees) and repeat up/down the the field twice each practice. My assistant strength coach was from the 75th and gave me a deck of cards. He told me to pull out 1 card, and do that face value of push-ups, pull another and do sit-ups the same way, and gradually work my way up to being able to do the whole deck in one sitting each day. Also, at the end of the pu/su card workout, I'd pull two cards, and run the amount of time that both cards added up to. Being a kicker/punter, I was never really given upper body workouts, but I had leg weighted workouts every other day that would have made Arnold proud which consisted of nonstop leg press, curl, extension, squats, single leg step ups, and single leg lunges.

If I were to continue this method of training (which replicates my summer conditioning and camp plan), do you tried and true guys believe I would be in good enough shape for selection? I also ruck 3 times a week between 4-6 miles as well as swimming and biking on my rest days as I enjoy them a lot. Not to mention I have started small amounts of supplemental upper body lifting as well (bench, curls, triceps pull downs, shoulder press/pulldown, raises etc.). I'll be leaving for BCT around August (plan on continuing to exercise through AIT, Abn, and SFPC) and have been doing the previous workouts for the past 3-4 months. A I'm all ears for suggestions and criticism. If there's any other former collegiate athletes out there who have gone the distance, I'd appreciate your input as well!

Thank you for your time,
TheKicker

The largest strain is mental, not physical. Eat well, train hard, and know what you want. If those are there, you'll be fine. Don't quit.

Back