Dieting and Living....

HeavyRuck

U.S. Marine
Verified Military
Good Evening Patrons,

Just wanted to see who on the forums currently count macronutrients, or live and just eat clean whole foods? I currently do, count macros. I have found this is the easiest way for me to stay on track with my diet. The only thing I hate is how hungry I get when dieting. I hate it. But when I do just eat clean whole foods 4-5 meals a day, I end up bloating up and gaining weight:dead:. Anyways, with that said... What do you guys do, what are your thoughts!?

-HR

You'll find there's quite a few of us on here who really pay attention to what we eat. I don't spend a whole lot of time actually counting macros and what not. I just eat meat and leafy veg, meat and leafy veg, then after a couple of months I fall off the wagon and into some potatoes, climb back on and repeat the cycle. I like how I feel when I'm eating clean, but the willpower eventually gives out when staring at a loaded baked tuber and I'm the only one not partaking of same in the house.

Yeah, I'm currently overseas in South America. Where I am at, I can't find green leafy veggies believe it or not. It is hard to find clean foods. Now I see why the women of SA have such huge :thumbsup:!!!!

Good Evening Patrons,

Just wanted to see who on the forums currently count macronutrients, or live and just eat clean whole foods? I currently do, count macros. I have found this is the easiest way for me to stay on track with my diet. The only thing I hate is how hungry I get when dieting. I hate it. But when I do just eat clean whole foods 4-5 meals a day, I end up bloating up and gaining weight:dead:. Anyways, with that said... What do you guys do, what are your thoughts!?

-HR

Same as what RK said. I don't like where I am at so I must kick my own ass back into tracking calories. I like myfitmesspal.

Last year I got hammered and the next days sucked balls. I read that brussel sprouts cleansed the liver and then read more...and more...and more. Tried the kale juice cleanse (still drink a few glasses each morning) and have 100% converted to raw foods diet: if it's in the produce section, it's in my belly. We even went as far as all organic and grass fed beef/chicken too. There is nothing in my house now that is from a box, has HFCS, or isn't made from scratch (even salad dressing). We bought a Vitamix blender that we used damn near daily (juices, soups, sorbets, and dressings).

I feel completely different: ZERO aches and pains in the morning and no 1400 tiredness: steady energy levels throughout the day.

Last year I got hammered and the next days sucked balls. I read that brussel sprouts cleansed the liver and then read more...and more...and more. Tried the kale juice cleanse (still drink a few glasses each morning) and have 100% converted to raw foods diet: if it's in the produce section, it's in my belly. We even went as far as all organic and grass fed beef/chicken too. There is nothing in my house now that is from a box, has HFCS, or isn't made from scratch (even salad dressing). We bought a Vitamix blender that we used damn near daily (juices, soups, sorbets, and dressings).

I feel completely different: ZERO aches and pains in the morning and no 1400 tiredness: steady energy levels throughout the day.

WOW!!!!! I would totally like to try juicing, just because it makes life easier. I pray to God that I will be able to have fresh fruits and veggies in the near future. I get more excited to go home on leave just to eat clean than seeing home itself (not really) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!!!

I squatted 455 (below parallel, don't even try it) last Monday at 190 bodyweight, deadlifted 545 the week before. Ran a 12:48 on my last two mile.

I ate at Zaxby's and Five Guys today.

ETA-
I've also been drinking quite heavily tonight. But seriously- clean eating is good, to an extent. A lot of the top CrossFit competitors eat zone portions x2 or x3 fat. Michael Phelps pounds bread.

I think its good for everyone to track their macros for a couple days- just eat normally but record your fat/carbs/protein. Simply having awareness of how you are eating will change how you eat- subconsciously or otherwise. Read labels periodically and you will become more aware of where you are having excesses and deficiencies.

Last edited:
"If your food does not come with a label, you probably don't have to worry about counting the calories in it."
Good advice from one of my CF coaches.

I tried to think of something witty to say here, nothing. So instead I will just tell the truth...about a year back there was a Paleo thread on the board; I got hooked. Lost nearly 70 pounds in about 6 months and have mainained for quite a while. I don't like the idea of being on a "diet", so instead I minimize unnecessary carbs (dinner rolls, desserts, excess beer) and eat paleo/clean whenever I can. It's made all the difference in the world and I cannot recall the last time I attempted to count calories, or felt the need.

Good Evening Patrons,

-HR

To add further I have been hitting up a Whole Foods more often.

I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week. 3 egg whites scrambled with ham, kale and onion. Kale salad, homemade dressing, walnuts and cranberries. Dinner and drinks are our variables. We tend to cook two large meals a week, then eat those meals in some form the rest of the week. We don't eat any bread, or carbs for the most part.

I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week. 3 egg whites scrambled with ham, kale and onion. Kale salad, homemade dressing, walnuts and cranberries. Dinner and drinks are our variables. We tend to cook two large meals a week, then eat those meals in some form the rest of the week. We don't eat any bread, or carbs for the most part.

Like Paleo?

Speaking of Chipotle, I'm as much of a fan as the next guy, but this article is well worth your read. Holy salt batman!

NYTimes Link

Back