FBI 9MM Justification, FBI Training Division

pardus

Verified Military
First of all I don't even know if this is really the FBI saying this, it might be a case of "The FBI says most police sniper engagements are under 70yards" type of deal for all I know.
I'm not a pistol guy, I've never been professionally trained, I rarely shoot one due to where I live and I can't hit a barn door at 25yrds. Give me a .40 S&W and the barn door could be 10 yrds away and be safe, I'm hopeless with that round, but better with a .45 and a 9mm... :-/

That all said, if given the choice of pistol caliber I'd go with a 9mm.
It's an easier round to shoot and therefore inherently more accurate as a result, particularly for non expert types. Bottom line, shot placement is more important than caliber. It's an effective round too.
e.g. I have a good friend who was NYPD 50's - 70's, he laughs when people talk about the .38 being under powered. He incapacitated several cars during his career with a single round of .38 special.

What are your thoughts on this article and subject?

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/09/25/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

ETA: shot placement.

Last edited:
9mm is the round of choice in USPSA open, and they load them to meet major power factor, my point? The whole .357 sig/10mm/.40 boondoggle that the FBI went through was an epic of money wasted when existing guns could've shot +P+ ammo and done the same thing. Sure, they may stress some chambers and eventually damage some slides, buts its Budapest than going through 4 different guns searching for a silver bullet.

Spend that money federal govt, spend that money.

I love 9mm. Back when I owned guns, I had several 9mms. I like the controlability, the lack of felt recoil, and the capacity on even a small pistol.

I have a G23, but f I had it to do over again I'd buy a 19 instead. With that said, I'm also not losing sleep over the decision.

Talking to some of the guys at work, they don't see fielding the 9mm that quick overall...probably with the new SA's, but slow getting them to the field offices. A few on my squad are looking forward to having the Glock 19.

I still do the .45, but in a Glock 30S now instead of 1911.

38's a great caliber, I load my 357 with it. I like having the option but 357 jumps around too much. Many years ago I achieved a Oneness with the 1911, so it remains my best bud to this day. I've fired 9mm and enjoyed it but I've never owned one. Whatever, you hit the motherfucker, he dies, you live. If I ever need home defense I'm going for the rifles.

Last time I got drunk with a Marine bro, his son--an FBI SA out of the Orlando field office--was our designated driver. :thumbsup: He had the Glock 40 at the time. I'll ask him what he prefers...

Last edited:
38's a great caliber, I load my 357 with it. I like having the option but 357 jumps around too much. Many years ago I achieved a Oneness with the 1911, so it remains my best bud to this day. I've fired 9mm and enjoyed it but I've never owned one. Whatever, you hit the motherfucker, he dies, you live. If I ever need home defense I'm going for the rifles.

Last time I got drunk with a Marine bro, his son--an FBI SA out of the Orlando field office--was our designated driver. :thumbsup: He had the Glock 40 at the time. I'll ask him what he prefers...
Hopefully he said women....

Why? What's the difference?

Many departments, mine included, can't afford to buy and train with nothing but duty ammo. So in training you might use cheaper ball CCI Blazer ammo and your duty ammo would be a higher grain, higher performance round, and more expensive. It would be nice to just use duty ammo all the time, but that takes deep pockets.

The other thing is that it ensures your duty weapon functions with the duty ammo. We were forced to use 165gr .40 S&W one year for training because of the ammo shortage, but we issue the troops 180gr. Guess what...M&Ps were designed to function with a 180gr round, and there were several hiccups with the lighter rounds.

Even when you're using good quality training ammo, like American Eagle, there are some measurable differences between say, AE training ammo and the issued Federal JHPs, even with the same bullet weights.

All that said, I'd rather see departments spend their money on lots of training ammo rather then spending big bucks to shoot JHPs at paper. Shoot a lot of FMJ, but have them qualify with the duty round. Best of both worlds and the troops get to shoot more.

Back