FOOD THREAD 1

First time making my own fries. Seasoned one steak with Tones Sweet & Spicy, the other with Jim’s Cajun Blackened, so we had a half each. Brussel sprouts too. Med rare throughout from 10 mins in the oven at 415.
View attachment 34041View attachment 34042

We have been using Alton Brown's approach with steaks lately. In the morning take them out of the fridge and put a lot of salt on them. After put them back in the fridge but uncovered and on a rack so that any juice that falls off will be below the meat. This will let the salt melt into the center of the steak. Come dinner you reverse sear it by first cooking them in the oven at 200* until the internal temp hits 117* to 120*. It's important when it's in the oven that it's on a rack above the pan too. It should take around 40 minutes in the oven to reach this temp. When the steak temp hits around 100*, take a cast iron and place it on the stove with high heat. You want the cast iron to reach 600*. Once the meat hits 117*, take it out of the oven and sear it for 30 to 45 seconds per side. Let rest on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Then enjoy.

Reverse-Sear Ribeye Steak: Reloaded

It's been a week for beef for us. I usually eat ribeye steak at least once a week, but it's hard to find cuts worthy of my plate during these times. However, the steak is not the reason I decided to post this photo. I decided to try something I've thought of doing for quite a while but never did until last week. After baking the large russet potatoes (these were fucking HUGE) I put them in the air fryer to crisp up the skins. OH. MY. GOD! This is now our default method for baked potatoes.

Ribey with baked potato amd salad.jpg

Last edited:
So, as I was saying it's getting hard around here to find beef at all much less quality beef. I was craving brisket, but I couldn't find a brisket. I've heard that smoking a chuck roast is very similar in taste and texture. So... I got a nearly 4 lb chuck roast and prepped it and put it on the big green egg for a low and slow smoke with some cherry wood. Served it with Mrs. Parallel's legendary Cajun potato salad, baked beans and some cast iron baked corn bread. It was good, but I still prefer brisket.

Smoked Chuck Roast 2 hours in on BGE.jpg

Smoked Chuck Roast half way done on BGE.jpg

Smoked Chuck Roast with potato salad backed beans and corn bread.jpg

I don’t know what SAD is but I have been doing keto sense last August. That is when I found out I was type 2. I say we talk PM or off line to not derail this thread. I can send you my digits if you want to text. I can also send you recipe. Keto can be tough, I do less than 30 carbs a day and reversed my diabetes in 3 month.

Stand by to stand by for PM.

First time making my own fries.

Here's how I make fries, they are unbelievable when you do it this way.

Peel and cut the potatoes. Soak in water overnight (the surface starch falls off, you'll see it at the bottom the next morning). Par cook in peanut oil at 300 until they start to turn a light golden color. Drain and blot, extensively, they will be oily at this point. Bag and freeze them in portions. When you are ready to serve them, cook at 375 (straight from the freezer) until they turn a dark gold color, they'll almost look overdone. They will be crispy on the outside like that one mcdonalds fry that is dark brown. They'll be light and fluffy on the inside. take salt, parmesan and basil and blend it until it is a fine green powder. Sprinkle that on the fries as soon as they come out of the oil. Drain on paper towels and serve.

So, Nathan's Jumbo Dogs, Wonder Bread Buns, Hormel No Bean Chili, Shredded Tillamook Sharp Cheddar...

It's almost exactly like Wienerschnitzel, nope, it's BETTER!

Also, Blue Bell Cookie Cake Ice Cream will make you fat, noms.

Our socially distant fourth of July meal.

I did 13 lbs of Brisket (well, one brisket had to cut it in half to fit it into containers to marinate)... and my phone quit taking picturres as it finished on the grill.

ETA-DO NOT TRIM FAT OFF SLABS... 36 hour marinade (turn as you see fit) -The Federalist red blend, Dr Pepper, garlic, onion, cracked black pepper, rosemary. Drip, pat, let stand 30 min... dry rub (it's a secret, but I need more Dillo Dust since it's part of the mix), back in the containers, cover and stand in fridge overnight (16-18 hours). Mixed hardwood chips need to soak 24 hours - oak, hickory, apple mix of bourbon (4 Souls) and water. Heat the grill to hot-as-hell(500-600) with filled smoker box (just damp chips) about an hour or so to get the grates clean and hot, and chips dried and slightly smoky.... toss the brisket(s) fat side up on to the grates, and leave all burners on high for 5 min... cut off the 3 burners under the slabs of meat candy, and turn down the burner under the smoker box until you maintain 225 to 300, lower is better in the first 2-3 hours, 300-350 in the last 3 ish hours... flip the slabs fat side down for abut an hour to hour and a half, use a meat (instant read) thermometer at about 4 hours, at 120* internal turn the heat up to 350 (gotta get the good crust on the slabs) - OH Yeah, get the largest fat catcher you can, the brisket rind will melt about 50-60% using this method. Flip the slabs back over for the last 30-60 minutes of cooking, at an internal temp range between 165 and 180, remove from heat, cover with tinfoil and allow to rest for 30-45 minutes. Carve (with your Yarborough, if you have one) and make brisket sammiches.

Yes I doctored my own Montana BBQ sauce, slightly sweet with a finish of heat... I can't make up my mind so it's a mutt of Memphis, Texas, KC, NC, SC, GA style sauces.... tomato, vinegar, bourbon, tomato and mustard.

I hate my phone for not taking pics yesterday... we only had 4 others show up out of 10 invited... so, there is brisket in the freezer.

Last edited:
Not my recipe, but easily the best au gratin potatoes I've ever had. It's a bit labor intensive, but I think completely worth it.
Personally I use an additional clove of garlic and hit the cheese with the broiler before I pull them for good.
Also, don't skimp on the cheese - and shred your own. The first time I made it the top cheese was not melted because of the wax coating they put on pre-shredded.

Scalloped Potatoes | Gimme Some Oven

Back