FOOD THREAD 1

Has anybody been to NYC and had one of those Cronuts they talk about? I might be looking at a ~5hr layover at JFK when I fly home and I was wondering if it would be worth the 45+ min Uber ride to go check one out. I know there's a hour long line every morning, but I plan on pre-ordering.

cronut.jpg

The boy made Italian sandwich’s with havarti cheese, man I love havarti cheese!

The fries he cut up from whole potatoes and then soaked them for 15 minutes. He told me it removes the starch and makes a more crispy, but still potato tasting fry.

He cooked the fries in 300 degree oil and then pulled them, let them cool and cooked them in 400 degrees oil until golden brown.

I cannot tell you how cool it is to have your 17 year old son teach you something that you thought you had nailed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 7.26.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Those look pretty good and the method is almost right. Two changes and you'll have the best fries you've ever eaten. Rather than cooling in between frying, freeze them overnight. Cook at 375 straight from the freezer until the outsides are darker brown, about the color of the inside edge of the top fry.

You won't believe how good they come out. Btw, parmesan, fresh parsley and salt in a blender until powdered and sprinkle on the fries to finish will make them slightly better.

A gift for all of you that are BBQing

Compforce's Super Southwest Rub - Makes ~1/2 Cup

2 Tbsp Dark Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar (optional)
1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
2 tsp Cumin, Ground
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp either Cayenne or 2 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Stick it all in a container with a lid and shake to mix. Put some on your protein before cooking. Don't pile it high or the food will be too spicy, sprinkle enough to cover the food and rub it in.

Good on Beef, Pork and Chicken. Haven't tried any fish or more exotic meats with it yet.
Add to a lemon or lime vinaigrette to make a southwest style salad dressing.
Add as the spices when you have a marinade of oil and vinegar or lemon.

The choice between cayenne or chipotle chili powder is based on the burn that you want. if you want a very hot fast burn that goes away quick, use the cayenne. if you want a slow heat that builds with each bite and will last until a pallet cleanser is served, use the chipotle chili powder.

You can leave the brown sugar out if you want a more aggressive chili style taste. I use it to cut the heat and give some contrast to the flavors when I grill.

I've used this in a ton of different types of food, enchiladas, chilis, salads, meat, pretty much anything you want to taste tex-mex. I keep a bunch on hand for quick meals. It'll hold for months in a sealed container.

Back