FOOD THREAD 1

Here you go.

I used all chicken breasts (5 large), removed the skin but kept the bone in for cooking. To serve I removed it from the bones and kept it in larger chunks instead of shredding. I also used more spice than what the recipe called for, and 1/2 cup of broth as well. Finally I substituted cilantro for the mint. Not a big fan of mint...

Spicy Chicken with Green Olives

4 pounds bone-in chicken breasts, legs and thighs
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup small pitted green olives, drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or mint

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place the pieces in the slow cooker.

In a medium skillet, heat the over over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, paprikae, cinnamon, turmeric and broth, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes more. Pour the mixture over the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender and coming away from the bone.

Rinse the olives and drain well. Add the olives to the cooker and cook for 30 minutes more. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and olives to a serving platter. Cover and keep warm.

Pour the liquid into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced. Taste for seasonings.

Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with herbs and serve hot.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

From “The Mediterranean Slow Cooker” by Michele Scicolone

Guys (& gals) this is definitely NOT up to your culinary skill levels and has little to do with gourmet anything HOWEVER... this being primarily a SOF and military professional site, I know everyone here is constantly working on keeping a body of steel awesomeness like me and Rich Froning, and therefore pay attention to your macronutrient spread.

To get to the point I figured you would appreciate a little discovery I made.

1. Spray small glass bowls (4) with nonstick canola oil spray.

2. Pour in 2 egg whites in each glass bowl (liquid egg whites)
3. Nuke for 45 seconds to 2 minutes. (I have a 1300 watt nuker and it takes 45 seconds. I also have a 1000w microwave and it takes about 2 minutes.

The eggs pop out onto the plate and there's zero mess. Glass bowls go into the dishwasher. No sticking. Fastest way I know to cook egg whites and you can throw them on double fiber English muffins plus Canadian bacon.

You may now resume regularly scheduled butter and bacon fat programming.

View attachment 9035

Attachments

• 20130815_081017.jpg
    20130815_081017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Guys (& gals) this is definitely NOT up to your culinary skill levels and has little to do with gourmet anything HOWEVER... this being primarily a SOF and military professional site, I know everyone here is constantly working on keeping a body of steel awesomeness like me and Rich Froning, and therefore pay attention to your macronutrient spread.

To get to the point I figured you would appreciate a little discovery I made.

1. Spray small glass bowls (4) with nonstick canola oil spray.

2. Pour in 2 egg whites in each glass bowl (liquid egg whites)
3. Nuke for 45 seconds to 2 minutes. (I have a 1300 watt nuker and it takes 45 seconds. I also have a 1000w microwave and it takes about 2 minutes.

The eggs pop out onto the plate and there's zero mess. Glass bowls go into the dishwasher. No sticking. Fastest way I know to cook egg whites and you can throw them on double fiber English muffins plus Canadian bacon.

You may now resume regularly scheduled butter and bacon fat programming.

View attachment 9035

I boil eggs and just eat the whites 6 days a week, throw a little turkey sausage in them and kapow 0 fat breakfast.

I do the boiled egg thing too. About 36 of them at a time and put them in a ziploc freezer bag... grab a few at a time. I now have a son age 12 who eats 8 or 10 at a time, so they disappear quick.

I know this microwave eggs thing is simple, but it amazed me. Eggs in 30 seconds... *shrug* I guess I'm easily dazzled.

I do the boiled egg thing too. About 36 of them at a time and put them in a ziploc freezer bag... grab a few at a time. I now have a son age 12 who eats 8 or 10 at a time, so they disappear quick.

I know this microwave eggs thing is simple, but it amazed me. Eggs in 30 seconds... *shrug* I guess I'm easily dazzled.

I have never thought to cook them that way. I just boil them because I like the routine, and it gives me time to drink coffee and do other morning things along with cooking breakfast. I tried to do them all at once but once they cool I think they taste different.

Not my own cooking, but had to post this because it was a pretty damn tasty (and not so conventional) burger. Edit: drink not mine.

Toppings: plenty of bacon, thick slices of fried halloumi cheese, and apple & cider chutney sauce. The apple & cider sauce definitely gave it an original taste. Something I might try again for my own burgers.

lnOTnFu.jpg

Last edited:
Not my own cooking, but had to post this because it was a pretty damn tasty (and not so conventional) burger.

Toppings: plenty of bacon, thick slices of fried halloumi cheese, and apple & cider chutney sauce. The apple & cider sauce definitely gave it an original taste. Something I might try again for my own burgers.

lnOTnFu.jpg

:-o:wall:...and the cheapest Mexican tourist beer on the planet.... essentially Mexican Rolling Rock with added protozoans.... Sol? Only if it's free... only if it's free my brother....

:-o:wall:...and the cheapest Mexican tourist beer on the planet.... essentially Mexican Rolling Rock with added protozoans.... Sol? Only if it's free... only if it's free my brother....

No cause for alarm, as thankfully that drink belonged to the person sitting next to me. I had something a little more local (not pictured). There's plenty of good beer around here, and there are some interesting ciders and perry (real ones from farms, meaning high alcohol content and pure ingredients).

When I get more time in a month or so, I'm going to do a little tour of all the breweries and farms in the region... :thumbsup:

Speaking of excellent beers, has anyone heard of Westvleteren 12 (XII)? Apparently, it's the highest rated beer in the world, if you ask quite a few beer enthusiasts and communities. It's brewed by monks in a monastery in Belgium, yep... Unfortunately, it's very hard to get a hold of unless you're in Belgium itself (particularly because they have a hard time keeping up with demand), even though some other places across Europe do import it occasionally. If I ever do go through there sometime in the future, I might pick up a few cases. I might be able to send some bottles across the pond, if anyone's interested.

Monks who make world's best beer pray for quiet life
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lds-best-beer-pray-for-quiet-life-502172.html

Westvleteren XII, 'World's Best Beer,' Makes One-Time U.S. Appearance
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/westvleteren-xii-world-best-beer_n_2292576.html

Back