Gaming thread

Bungie made changes to how Skill Based Matchmaking (SBMM) works. To wit: The best players will match with the best, and the worst will match with the worst. Prior to this matches were a shitfest at times. Steamrolls, mercy matches, you name it, some matches weren't competitive.

With the changes implemented this season? PvP is awesome. You can run an off-meta loadout and still land a +1 K/D. That's huge. Destiny will never be THE premier pvp experience and Bungie has never hyped it as such, but casual players who want a challenging pvp experience without the..."emotional frustration" of other games?

Call me.

A Diablo 4 Beta should drop later this year. In the interim, Season 27 for D3 kicked off 2 weeks ago, so if anyone wants a power level or to hit a dungeon or two, shoot me a message. I'm not grinding Destiny as hard the last few months and needed something I can work in around this season of D2. And the new SBMM has seen my K/D double because I'm not playing against a bunch of sweats.

Steam has another event to take your money, Sep. 16 - 26. Cyberpunk 2077 is on sale plus whatever else. I think they will run another run around turkey or something?

Go make plays.

A scrub's opinion of Overwatch 2.

I don't like it, but I don't hate it. You level up to obtain characters, but you can't customize the weapons or abilities. The abilities aren't "one shotters" like in Destiny. Trigger your special ability in OW2 and you...just do a little more of whatever you did before triggering your special. Meh.

Some of the characters are just OP right now, but that's to be expected, especially in a new game. In Destiny 2, team composition rarely matters, in pvp; in OW2 it is necessary to have a properly balanced team. Problem is, in quickplay "ain't nobody got time for that" so you wind up with people chasing daily and weekly challenges instead of optimizing a team loadout. "We already have a healer, but I need that healing challenge, so fuck them. I'm a healer."
I hate, Hate, HATE the fact you can't ADS in OW2. Hip fire for the win unless you are a sniper. Movement in both games is important, but I OW2's is kind of stupid. Certain characters can't sprint, but they have other "speed" maneuvers. Some characters have movement that is vital to their game and can destroy a team in seconds; I don't think some have a cooldown. Some characters can "climb" buildings while others watch on in wonder with their non-sprinting, non-climbing, 2D gunfight selves.

Match variety is good, you don't have just the standard "run here and kill x" or capture the flag modes. That's a plus. A negative though is your start point in relation to the objective might put you at a huge disadvantage compared to the other team. When you die spawn points are usually one or two maps over and did I mention most characters can't sprint?

The amount of characters and their uniqueness is really good though I find myself playing the same 3 or 4 characters because I haven't unlocked the others or the available characters just suck.

OW2 isn't a bad game and I'll keep playing it, but I'm not all sweaty about the matches. Short of your own desire to win, or winning so you can maybe one day play in their ranked system, there's no real payoff for winning. Grab a beer or 5, jump into a mech or something, and have fun. I'm glad it is F2P, because I would be PISSED if I paid $70 for the game.

3.5 out of 5 13 year olds screaming in chat

…and back to Red Dead 2 for the 5th playthru.

Taking it super slow this time around, hunting all of the legendary animals first … working my way though the Hunting Challenges to get the Legendary Panther to spawn…spent about 2 hours of real-time yesterday hunting 3 cougars with a bow. I’m staying in Chapter 3 for as long as possible so I can enjoy the different items/outfits I collect for the remainder of the game.

I’ve been away from camp so long that Bill spawned out of nowhere saying that Dutch wanted me to come back soon and offered the opportunity to ride back to camp with him.

The other day I chased some Murphy Boys through the woods and fell into a pit where they started shooting down at me…never seen that one before.

LOVE this game.

I have about 9-10 hours in Overwatch 2. The game is entertaining, but not enough for me to grind it out. Re-reading my post above, I stand by those observations with a few small additions. One is from a streamer who put it better than I can.

Even better are the teams where you have multiple support classes because of the bounties I mentioned above. Overall, the biggest problem with the player base every quickplay, non-comp match is a free-for-all. I telepathically attempt to get my team to PTFO, but alas...no such luck.

You need 50 wins to unlock competitive mode. As a freelance player, that's painful.

It is a fun game, but it is also a shitshow. Good for a diversion though, I'll give it that. As a serious shooter? Yeah, nah.

Back