ShadowSpear Cigar Thread

I have some AVO tubes, Davidoff Millennium Petit corona, Arturo Fuente Hemingway short story, and some various others in my humidor right now.

If I could just stick with cigars, I would grab some up. I used to buy Wheeling Marsh's by the box. Trouble is, they all lead me to Marlboros after a while.

Last edited:
@tweeder , good stick! Do you smoke often? Today it is one of my very favorite cigars, a Tatuaje 10th anniversary torpedo.

image.jpg

@tweeder , good stick! Do you smoke often? Today it is one of my very favorite cigars, a Tatuaje 10th anniversary torpedo.

Very nice. I smoke one a week usually, accompanied by a single malt scotch or a whiskey drink. I've been bouncing back and forth between sticks from Drew Estate and Garcia and Garcia.

How often do you partake?

@tweeder , I typically have one every night, weather depending. In the winter not as much, but I keep the humidor stocked with good stuff. Just got back from a 43 mile training ride on my bicycle. Doing the M.S. 150 this weekend and to celebrate I am smoking one I've been hanging onto for a while. An Arturo Gran AniverXario, Toro Sun Grown - just getting into it and there is a really cool mocha/coffee bean thing going on.

When I can afford them I tend to go for the flavored ones like the CAO Flavor line
large_cao-flavour-sampler-prod-shot.jpg

and of course my favorite
0ACID-Blue.jpg

The ACID line of blues, golds, and the ACID One's. Alas I don't have any in stock to take pictures of and the humidor is in storage until conditions improve lol.

Oliveros_Cigars.gif

The Oliveros are pretty good too. I know many traditional cigar smokers scoff at the flavored cigars, but I have always found them excellent smokes that have grown to be as good a smoke as any other non-flavored ones. The thing I can't stand the most is when you bust out a cigar and someone immediately asks if it is a Cuban, and/or go on to espouse how superior Cubans are to anything else. That's when I know they are full of shit and find another conversation to enjoy.

I know many traditional cigar smokers scoff at the flavored cigars, but I have always found them excellent smokes that have grown to be as good a smoke as any other non-flavored ones. The thing I can't stand the most is when you bust out a cigar and someone immediately asks if it is a Cuban, and/or go on to espouse how superior Cubans are to anything else

I could not agree with you any stronger! While Cubans (some) are a good smoke, the sticks coming out of Nicaragua and and The Dominican are just as good, or in some cases better than many Cubans. I have found a fairly reliable source to Cuban cigars; but quite honestly I am very happy with what I am smoking now.

The Acid line (by Drew Estate) is actually pretty good - when you are in the right mood they are great coffee cigars early in the morning.

I could not agree with you any stronger! While Cubans (some) are a good smoke, the sticks coming out of Nicaragua and and The Dominican are just as good, or in some cases better than many Cubans. I have found a fairly reliable source to Cuban cigars; but quite honestly I am very happy with what I am smoking now.

The Acid line (by Drew Estate) is actually pretty good - when you are in the right mood they are great coffee cigars early in the morning.
Amen! I have tried a few Cubans, and to be honest I was not impressed at all. The Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars are usually of a much higher caliber. pairing a good cigar is always a fun experience. Although for the Acid's (Kuba Kuba) I prefer just drinking ice cold water. I have found it sometimes amplifies the taste of the cigar.

Amen! I have tried a few Cubans, and to be honest I was not impressed at all. The Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars are usually of a much higher caliber. pairing a good cigar is always a fun experience. Although for the Acid's (Kuba Kuba) I prefer just drinking ice cold water. I have found it sometimes amplifies the taste of the cigar.

J... try a good full bodied but not arid red wine to complement the taste of a good cigar ... I would recommend my favorite winery, Efeste, as a good source, but finding their offerings in your neck of the woods would be nearly impossible, not to mention very expensive. I have not disliked any of their wines, which is rare for any winery. Their 'big' reds are stellar, hell, everything they produce is stellar. I've been involved in crush and bottling as a volunteer, get fed and get wine for the effort.

Pathetic: I had just started working for my last client a couple years ago, and we went to Colombia for 9 days. We were working a bit harder than usual, and he walked up, holds out a cigar, and says 'Do you smoke? Here, have a 1974 <insert whatever wazoo Cuban name>'. Being new, and not wanting to overstep, I said I don't smoke and turned it down. Stupid. He also gave me a 2001 Mouton Rotschild later, which again, I'm not a wine guy, but had learned from my mistakes, and accepted. Why couldn't it have been a bottle of Macallan 25? :p

Bordeaux, iirc. I have a pic of it somewhere. I actually did do that part right: I took it over to friends who really appreciate wine. They decanted it correctly, and served up some fine steak with it. I was underwhelmed, they just about pissed their pants.

I'd have much preferred scotch, at least I appreciate that.

Bordeaux, iirc. I have a pic of it somewhere. I actually did do that part right: I took it over to friends who really appreciate wine. They decanted it correctly, and served up some fine steak with it. I was underwhelmed, they just about pissed their pants.

I'd have much preferred scotch, at least I appreciate that.

You need to try a good Irish, I would recommend Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel. You need to approach wines, especially reds with the same open palate that you use for coffee or Scotch... there are so many subtle levels in a good or even decent wine that I'd have thought your palate would rejoice and you'd appreciate the complexities.

Only Irish I've had is Red Breast 12, and it was damn good. I like scotch (just not Islay's), bourbon, etc. Oh, the same client poured me a half a finger of an 1897 cognac, he paid $10k for the bottle. I almost grabbed the bottle and ran. THAT impressed me, it was amazing. I expected it to be one dimensional or flat, but it was not, in the least.

My tastes in coffee run toward the sweet side, I really value sweetness in a coffee. Same for scotch, and I don't love dry or astringent wines.

Wait, that Jameson is only $40? Damn. I'm in.

OK, I have a friend who loves Riesling, mostly German, and I like most of those. I'll look into the other ones.

Sin Tax, huh? silly people.

OK, I have a friend who loves Riesling, mostly German, and I like most of those. I'll look into the other ones.

Sin Tax, huh? silly people.

It's good to visit the In-Laws in So. Oregon... the cheap whiskey is only about an hour away in NorCal just across the border. a 9 hour drive each way is not normally doable, and the cost of fuel is prohibitive. ID has good prices too....

Back