Ukraine - Russia Conflict

The Ukrainian who comes up with the crazy drone designs:
Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Wouldn‘t even surprise me, after all they’ve accomplished.

Last edited:
Maybe they thought if they attacked Turkish ships, Turkey's response may not be so measured and they would kick off World War 3.

I think they are also simply afraid to trigger open war with NATO, if they attacked one of their member states. May not happen because everyone fears WW3. But still not beyond the realms of possibility.

Last edited:
Belgium and the Netherlands: gives aid to the Ukraine.

Also Belgium and the Netherlands: increases trade with Russia, undermining economic sanctions.

Although the Turkish trade with Russia has increased. We should probably weigh that against their military aid tha they're giving to Ukraine in Drones and Frigates!
It’s an interesting situation for sure. I’m sure those governments have their own justifications for this, I’d like to hear them.

The Black Sea Fleet is probably traumatized at this point. Having nightmares of Ukrainian drones and saboteurs.

Yes I have no doubt about that. The Black Sea Fleet was on my dream hit list since the start.
@Gordus just be careful with info from chuck pfarrer, he’s been caught out several times posting inaccurate info, I would double check everything he posts, I ended up blocking him, but that’s just me.

It’s an interesting situation for sure. I’m sure those governments have their own justifications for this, I’d like to hear them.
They need the energy and fertilizer inputs the Russians produce. Otherwise their people starve or economies fracture. In the case of India, they're like amoral bargain hunters snapping up any natural resources they can, cause they have huge resource hungry populations. Same with Turkey.

China needs anything and everything it can get. Brazil really needs the fertilizer inputs, else they go from being an agricultural exporter to famine.

They need the energy and fertilizer inputs the Russians produce. Otherwise their people starve or economies fracture. In the case of India, they're like amoral bargain hunters snapping up any natural resources they can, cause they have huge resource hungry populations. Same with Turkey.

China needs anything and everything it can get. Brazil really needs the fertilizer inputs, else they go from being an agricultural exporter to famine.
Do they NEED or want to get it from Russia? I understand that Russia is a vital supplier of Fertilizer but are there alternative suppliers? The energy supply from Russia situation went from vital to unnecessary in fairly short order, with some possible exceptions. I’m sure there are countries that need the goods and/or a cheaper price than elsewhere but some are openly supporting Russia which is unacceptable. The west should also help financially for countries that need help purchasing more expensive goods, this is the opportune time to make an investment into democracy that will help everyone long term.

Do they NEED or want to get it from Russia? I understand that Russia is a vital supplier of Fertilizer but are there alternative suppliers? The energy supply from Russia situation went from vital to unnecessary in fairly short order, with some possible exceptions. I’m sure there are countries that need the goods and/or a cheaper price than elsewhere but some are openly supporting Russia which is unacceptable. The west should also help financially for countries that need help purchasing more expensive goods, this is the opportune time to make an investment into democracy that will help everyone long term.
Places like Brazil's agriculture model won't make it without those imports ( I don't even wanna think about Africa). Also, there really aren't alternative suppliers and not all fertilizers / agricultural inputs are the same. Some are made via the Haber Process (nitrogen), and some are mined (potassium salts and phosphorous). We also have to keep in mind that these are raw natural resources.

Haber process takes up a lot of energy. Nat gas prices have made the manufacture of those nitrogen ag inputs not financially viable. Anything mined needs to have the infrastructure put in place to mine and transport it. All of which is gonna take time we don't have.

Places like India and Turkey are more want and it helps them stockpile against the coming shortages. Also keep in mind India doesn't care about anyone else, hell they treat their countrymen with disdain. Turkey is a future enemy. China... well, China is an asshole.

Regarding investment, some western countries are gonna be struggling to keep the lights on or are dealing with their own shortages. The US market is gonna take care of itself, while the other major players are mainly assholes or enemies. That and the resources have to come from somewhere. Which for Europe means going back to Africa and all the shenanigans that entails.

I can see the west maybe helping Belgium and Spain. I can see us helping Japan and the UK. That said, things have yet to get bad. Russia is still producing natural resources, after this winter I'm curious to see how things go.

Back