Ukraine - Russia Conflict

An interesting breakdown of Russian military and PMC confirmed by name KIA, that currently number over 10.500.

Nearly 16.000 pro-Russian deaths, if confirmed separatist losses are added. Total casualties are believed to be close to 120.000 at this point. Even among Russian sources, the number of dead is presumed to be considerably higher.

Of the 10,505 identified Russian soldiers who died in Ukraine, 1,529 people, that is, almost 15%, are officers. Among the dead were four generals and 50 colonels.
... 176 of them are in the rank of lieutenant colonel and above.
For example, based on open sources, we were able to identify at least 74 soldiers and officers of the 24th GRU Special Forces Guards Brigade from Novosibirsk. Among them are nine officers in rank from lieutenant to lieutenant colonel.
From open sources, it is known about the death of 492 mobilized Russians - this is 62 people more than two weeks ago. Among them, we managed to establish the names of 456 people who died in the combat zone on the territory of Ukraine. Another 36 died in Russia, most often due to heart problems, accidents or alcohol abuse*.The actual casualties among those mobilized could be much higher, as many reports of soldiers killed in Ukraine since October do not indicate their status.
Little is known about the losses of employees of private military companies. We managed to establish the names of 301 people who died fighting in the PMC. Of these, more than 160 people are prisoners of Russian prisons. Some of them were convicted under grave and especially grave articles..
It is also known about 110 cases of death of military pilots. Losses among pilots are especially painful for the army: the training of one front-line pilot of the first class takes 7-8 years and costs about 3.4 million dollars.

According to this graphic from the article, the number of killed Russian airborne troops exceeds 1,400. Which is much higher than I expected. Motorized infantry is at over 1,700.

Rulossesbygraphic.jpg

Numbers by age, based on intel from public media and social networks.

Rulossesbydemo.jpg

As of December 2, the authorities of the self-proclaimed DPR acknowledged the death of 4,133 servicemen. Losses are not reported in the self-proclaimed LNR, but it follows from open sources that they are clearly more than 1,000 people.
In addition, the BBC found more than 4,200 messages and posts on social networks of people who are looking for their male relatives, who ended up in the ranks of the "people's militia" and have not been in touch for a long time. Some of those who were searched for in the first months of the war had already returned home with "cargo 200".

Even taking into account only the data provided by the self-proclaimed authorities of Donetsk, the cumulative losses of those who are fighting on the side of Russia could exceed 26,000 people dead.
Taking into account the wounded, the total losses of the pro-Russian forces during the 10 months of the war may exceed 117 thousand people.

According to the United States, if you count the dead and wounded, Russia's losses in Ukraine exceeded 100 thousand people.

Sources:

- Что известно о потерях России за 10 месяцев войны в Украине - BBC News Русская служба
- Потери России в войне с Украиной. Сводка «Медиазоны»

Last edited:
You know, if I were Putin I'd order everyone to paint their window frames blue. Now no one will fall out of a window, they'll just suffer a Blue Screen of Death.

Thank you, folks! You've been great! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Last edited:
I don’t see how. Google says it can penetrate approximately 30 inches of rolled homogeneous armor. I’m not a tanker, but the countermeasures you’d have to apply to the top of a tank are probably prohibitive.
The Javelin, as you know, has two modes of attack. I think the est form of defense is don't get hit.

Back