Ukraine - Russia Conflict

This is the shit that legit keeps me up at night.

US doesn't stand 'a fighting chance' if Russia and China combine cyber tech, former Pentagon official says — Fox News

China may already be sharing data with Russia, and America wouldn't stand "a fighting chance" if the two superpowers combined their cyber warfare capabilities, the U.S. Air Force's former chief software officer told Fox News.

"Not many nations would be able to push back," Nicolas Chaillan told Fox News. "I don't even think the United States would be able to push back if tomorrow Russia and China decide to come together against us."

"I think it would be very difficult for us to be able to even have a fighting chance, let alone a nation like Ukraine," he added.

As a general musing, I think there has been a propensity (at least I've seen it here and there) to attribute this lack of results on the part of the Russians as some kind of brilliant master play to trick the world into thinking Russia is less than organised or capable. But I would say I think they've made some major strategic mistakes and they're exactly that, mistakes and not some 8d chess moves.

I feel like a lot of this comes from people looking at Putin and saying "oh he was a KGB officer so everything must have a hidden meaning" but in fact that doesn't necessarily mean anything; he wasn't a particularly high rank and the publicly available information at least doesn't show he was responsible for running operations. So my thoughts are, have people extrapolated information wrongly over the years so he's got this aura of masterful deceit around him? Something to chew on.

Top Russian general killed by Ukrainian sniper
This must be a huge blow to their morale losing such a high ranking officer
There was a British general from WW II who said something to the effect that there was nothing better for a foot soldier's morale than occasionally seeing a dead general.
Anyway, I'm wondering if that 40 mile "convoy" is getting hit, would it be more effective to hit the front, the end or the middle? Answer gently please, I'm just an old civilian interested in professional opinions. (In other words, if I ask an ignorant question, it's because I'm ignorant) Thank you!

That one happened sometime around mid-morning in Silver Spring.

The one @RackMaster is asking about happened late last night in NW DC, and to answer his question both police and USSS left after they couldn't find anything near the site where it was heard going off. Also, unlike the explosion in Maryland, there were no buildings damaged or people injured.

Ukraine is saying that Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant was struck during a shelling and fighting. Currently on fire.
I read that also. That Russia plans on taking control of it. A nuclear plant shelled and on fire that size can cause major fallout for not only Ukraine but also surrounding countries. Being the largest plant in Europe you would think there would be worries. But still chirps. Wonder why no country wants to declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine but are for their own country. Even the US is against a no-fly zone being declared.

I read that also. That Russia plans on taking control of it. A nuclear plant shelled and on fire that size can cause major fallout for not only Ukraine but also surrounding countries. Being the largest plant in Europe you would think there would be worries. But still chirps. Wonder why no country wants to declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine but are for their own country. Even the US is against a no-fly zone being declared.
Ukrainian officials now claiming increasing radiation levels in the area. Chernobyl 2.0

There was a British general from WW II who said something to the effect that there was nothing better for a foot soldier's morale than occasionally seeing a dead general.
Anyway, I'm wondering if that 40 mile "convoy" is getting hit, would it be more effective to hit the front, the end or the middle? Answer gently please, I'm just an old civilian interested in professional opinions. (In other words, if I ask an ignorant question, it's because I'm ignorant) Thank you!

Front, middle, and end.

Current SitRep: Institute for the Study of War

So apparently the Russian are idiots and want to kill themselves by causing a Nuclear Meltdown.

Ukrainian nuclear plant, Europe's largest, ablaze after Russian attack - minister

As a general musing, I think there has been a propensity (at least I've seen it here and there) to attribute this lack of results on the part of the Russians as some kind of brilliant master play to trick the world into thinking Russia is less than organised or capable. But I would say I think they've made some major strategic mistakes and they're exactly that, mistakes and not some 8d chess moves.

I feel like a lot of this comes from people looking at Putin and saying "oh he was a KGB officer so everything must have a hidden meaning" but in fact that doesn't necessarily mean anything; he wasn't a particularly high rank and the publicly available information at least doesn't show he was responsible for running operations. So my thoughts are, have people extrapolated information wrongly over the years so he's got this aura of masterful deceit around him? Something to chew on.
He rides horses bare chested and at some point may have personally injected a few people with polonium 210. He’s shrewd and ruthless enough to survive Russian political intrigue and remain in power. But he’s not a diabolical mastermind; maybe just a bit more underhanded and cunning than the average weak suck politicians we tend to elect in the West. He’s tougher than they are and they’re intimidated by him.

This ain’t no master play. He’s royally fucked himself internationally with this political and strategic dumpster fire in Ukraine. Any blunt dumbass with an Army can kill a shitload of people and bomb cities into rubble. And that’s what he’ll win.

This is the shit that legit keeps me up at night.

US doesn't stand 'a fighting chance' if Russia and China combine cyber tech, former Pentagon official says — Fox News

China may already be sharing data with Russia, and America wouldn't stand "a fighting chance" if the two superpowers combined their cyber warfare capabilities, the U.S. Air Force's former chief software officer told Fox News.

"Not many nations would be able to push back," Nicolas Chaillan told Fox News. "I don't even think the United States would be able to push back if tomorrow Russia and China decide to come together against us."

"I think it would be very difficult for us to be able to even have a fighting chance, let alone a nation like Ukraine," he added.

This strikes me as a bit of "If this completely implausible and unrealistic event were to occur, and we weren't at least marginally prepared for it, ZOMG!!!" alarmism from Mr Chaillan. Although I do freely admit he probably knows a little bit more about cyber than I do.

@Jaknight Speztnaz is a bit of a cover all term for anything basically not regular infantry, it basically covers anything from like an infantry recon team through to the FSBs Alfa. I'm just saying be a bit way of making a blanket statement like that. I have no idea what the other units are like that didn't, um, get destroyed and it could well be that the other units are arse too but we don't know that at this stage.

Back