Ukraine - Russia Conflict

As mentioned earlier, the Russians are lobbing ordinance at a Nuclear Powerplant. There are significantly easier and safer ways to cut people off from power...than causing a Nuclear Meltdown. Get your linesmen in the air and cut the wires. No reason to even attack this thing.

Russian Fires Rocket Directly into Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant Campus
Concur. Add to the list of things that don't seem to make a lot of sense. If, for a moment, we were to believe that everything else was going according to plan, as Putin and others suggest, then why shell the nuclear plant?

Late to the discussion, but I'll hit a number of topics if able.

And raise gas prices in an election year?
Sarcasm, got it.
It is very interesting. If they are in fact stopped their due to logistics, why? I mean I know logistics are hard, but if you control the air and the roads, and you've had literally months to build up and stock pile supplies, why is it hard now? Do they really suck so bad at this, or are they being degraded/intercepted/interdicted somehow?

And if Russia doesn't control the air, why isn't Ukraine going all "highway of death" on the convoys? And if the air is contested and we know literally exactly where these convoys are--big fat targets stuck for days--why isn't Ukraine massing forces on the ground to get after them?
Late freeze, Early thaw, forcing road usage. I think they are targeting log stuff (that's what I would do).
I read that also. That Russia plans on taking control of it. A nuclear plant shelled and on fire that size can cause major fallout for not only Ukraine but also surrounding countries. Being the largest plant in Europe you would think there would be worries. But still chirps. Wonder why no country wants to declare a no-fly zone over Ukraine but are for their own country. Even the US is against a no-fly zone being declared.
I spent two weeks flying through the remains of Chernobyl, nuke plant going up will impact everyone in the Northern Hemisphere. (Gen McPeek single handily destroyed our ability to monitor these events).

UK President didn't (publically) seem to take our warnings seriously, WTFO? Naval mines dropped (unannounced) into probably amphib landing zones might have made an impact. Lots of defensive munitions, no artillery of missiles to help the offensive team?

China has dedicated a lot of cheddar to developing their Cross-Border Interbank Payment System with the intent of blunting any negative effects from SWIFT getting shutdown. Russia will also be undeterred as long as the US pays billions each month buying crude oil from them. I hate sounding like a talking-head, but we certainly are funding Russia’s efforts in a way.

UK President didn't (publically) seem to take our warnings seriously, WTFO? Naval mines dropped (unannounced) into probably amphib landing zones might have made an impact. Lots of defensive munitions, no artillery of missiles to help the offensive team?
Don't think this is true. Yeah, this administration was messaging in the media without also showing proof. But it doesn't appear like they were doing anything to help Ukraine than they already had. In fact they were withdrawing troops from the country. This administration and the staff of the JCS seem more than willing to screw up a climax than actually effectively plan something. See: Afghanistan retrograde embarrassment.

Based on everything I'm seeing, Ukrainian Army morale continues to be high. They're winning a ton of little victories that is making Russia lose men and material while ceding some control of territory, but that territory remains contested and you have regulars and territorial defense continuing to hit supply lines and also steal equipment. Air is still very contested, although the Russians are able to execute bombing runs and the like, they don't control it at all. What Ukraine doesn't have is enough airframes to replace what's lost. If the West could sell/transfer/whatever significant air power to NATO trained Ukrainian pilots they can contest and possibly win some air fights.

What we're seeing in Kharkiv and Mariupul is a win at all costs mentality and seeking to raise both cities to the ground. Rather than just isolating and bypassing, this is a major strategic mistake as it will embolden Ukrainian Civilians to fight for generations. If they wanted a "neutral" Ukraine, well Ukraine will never be neutral to Russia now.

The Russian economy is still going because Europe and the US are still buying oil. Although much of sanctions are having a heavy impact, over 50% of their economy is oil...so he's not running out foreign currency reserves since we're continuing to spend dollars and euros on oil. Need to cut that off and things will change dramatically, either internal regime change, he pulls out and remains president but never leaves since he's now a war criminal, or this goes nuclear. Not sure. But based on the speed of information I'd say Ukrainian Mod figures are pretty darn close. Geolocation in metadata is a helluva thing.

ETA: Zelensky has now survived 3 assassination attempts.

Last edited:
Eventually—probably sooner than later—he’s going to get some opposition pushback from Russian corporations and billionaire industrialists who’s businesses are facing potential financial ruin because of boycotts and sanctions.

Russian currency has dropped 30% in value since the start of the invasion; interest rates at Russian banks are running at 20% and there’s a run on banks as people line up at ATMs to get their money out before it all goes to shit.

Soldiers are expendable. But when the fat cats and powerbrokers start losing their shirts, things start to change.

Eventually—probably sooner than later—he’s going to get some opposition pushback from Russian corporations and billionaire industrialists who’s businesses are facing potential financial ruin because of boycotts and sanctions.

Russian currency has dropped 30% in value since the start of the invasion; interest rates at Russian banks are running at 20% and there’s a run on banks as people r line up at ATMs to get their money out before it all goes to shit.

Soldiers are expendable. But when the fat cats and powerbrokers start losing their shirts, things start to change.

One bank has lost more than 90% of its value, in fact, they can't afford to keep the lights on so they're probably closing down. Their economy's worth is almost half of what it was 2 weeks ago.

They've had I think 1800 people arrested for rioting and demonstrating against this? Yeah, they're in a prime spot to destabilize Putin, but it seems no one, no leader or country, wants to knock in the home winning run.

One bank has lost more than 90% of its value, in fact, they can't afford to keep the lights on so they're probably closing down. Their economy's worth is almost half of what it was 2 weeks ago…

I figure Russia’s in for a Great Depression…hopefully a tanking Russian economy doesn’t take the rest of the world down with it. Which is a possibility.

Diesel here for my truck is 4.50 a gallon. In my life, I have never seen it over 4.

I figure Russia’s in for a Great Depression…hopefully a tanking Russian economy doesn’t take the rest of the world down with it. Which is a possibility.

Diesel here for my truck is 4.50 a gallon. In my life, I have never seen it over 4.

I don't know how much diesel is here. Cheap unleaded is $3.79 a gallon. My nephew's mother-in-law is in San Diego visiting family, she said that unleaded is $5.09. We are approaching hurricane interruption level prices.

Interesting that in the same thread we have calls for cutting off oil imports and also fingerpointing at Biden for high prices at the pump. Personally, I think higher gas prices are a reasonable price to pay for putting Putin's nuts in a vice, but this is a case where everyone's milage will vary.

Interesting that in the same thread we have calls for cutting off oil imports and also fingerpointing at Biden for high prices at the pump. Personally, I think higher gas prices are a reasonable price to pay for putting Putin's nuts in a vice, but this is a case where everyone's milage will vary.
My prices went up before the war....

Back