Ukraine - Russia Conflict

If you're interested in knowing where your favorite vacation destination stands on this conflict, here's an easy scorecard based on the UN vote today to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council:
IMG_20220407_113824.jpg

No surprise with the negatives. The usual suspects. A lot of abstentions from Africa. No surprise there, either. The PRC owns Africa so they're going to go along with whatever the PRC does.

Last edited:
Considering it looks like a staging area or rally point for the press in general, plus their location and what they've seen, you're goddamn right I would stop to pet a cat given the chance. That cat is probably the closest thing to "normal" they have seen since arriving in country.

I just hope the cat doesn't catch anything from the press. Fucking vermin.

I fucking love animals more than humans. I've been known to stop a pt assessment on a scene to pet a cat, just happen a week ago.

Ukrainians are saying this missile is the one that hit the train station in eastern Ukraine.

E5F611DB-A49C-4F3A-876B-73C7745EA986.jpeg

It says something like “This is for children.” I am far from being a rocket scientist but this doesn't look like a missile that exploded. Obviously even a dud can kill people.

Last edited:
All my Ukrainian friends are now denouncing anything Russian. I don't really blame them, but when it comes to culture/politics, I know Belarusians/Russians/Ukrainians take it to the extreme. I'm seeing on Ukrainian news that cities are now taking down statues of Alexander Pushkin. Pushkin is the father of the modern Russian Language, but he died in 1837, so well before the time of Bolshevism and 'Putinism'. My friend explained to me that the Russian language was used as a tool for oppression, so guilty by association is a thing.

Here I am typing this in English; language of King George III?

Reports say Russia's flagship in the Black Sea, the Moskva, was seriously damaged/lost to an explosion. Conflicting reports as to cause, Ukrainians report anti-ship missile and Russians say it was an ammo accident. Either way, the result is the same, the ship is lost at sea (Russia interestingly says all crew evacuated safely - even those near the accident? 🤔 )

Russians aren't known for their safe ammo handling practices but they sure seem to have been quite a few "accidents" these past few weeks. This is a big deal.

Remember the ship that sank in Maripol a week or two ago? I think I posted a video earlier where it was assessed that an ammo handling accident caused the ship to blow up, not a Ukrainian missile. It wouldn't surprise me if the Russian account of an ammo explosion due to a fire was true. The Ukrainians may be the good guys here, but let's be honest: they have an impressive IO campaign. Info coming from the Ukrainians should be treated with skepticism. Maybe it was a missile, maybe it was bad Soviet seamanship. *shrug

(The Moskva is the old Soviet Slava, one of their guided missile cruisers that caused NATO some sleepless nights due to her anti-ship capabilities. That class of ship would travel with the Kirov battlecruisers or anchor their own Surface Action Group. Soviet naval doctrine placed a massive value on long range missiles for both surface and aviation units, all to counter US carriers. Given the modern state of the Soviet navy, losing the Moskva is kind of a big deal.)

Remember the ship that sank in Maripol a week or two ago? I think I posted a video earlier where it was assessed that an ammo handling accident caused the ship to blow up, not a Ukrainian missile. It wouldn't surprise me if the Russian account of an ammo explosion due to a fire was true. The Ukrainians may be the good guys here, but let's be honest: they have an impressive IO campaign. Info coming from the Ukrainians should be treated with skepticism. Maybe it was a missile, maybe it was bad Soviet seamanship. *shrug

(The Moskva is the old Soviet Slava, one of their guided missile cruisers that caused NATO some sleepless nights due to her anti-ship capabilities. That class of ship would travel with the Kirov battlecruisers or anchor their own Surface Action Group. Soviet naval doctrine placed a massive value on long range missiles for both surface and aviation units, all to counter US carriers. Given the modern state of the Soviet navy, losing the Moskva is kind of a big deal.)

I agree. Having been to Ukraine and been speaking Russian for a few years now, I've picked up on the cultural norms. Russians and Ukrainians share a lot of the same mannerisms that they don't really want to admit. Both are head strong, family/community oriented, very proud of their cultures, and emotionally driven, and that seems to manifest in their media and decision making process in the military. It's still pretty Soviet.

Back