Ukraine - Russia Conflict

I was on Flightradar24 a few minutes ago. The Swedish Air Force is in the game, using one of its Gulfstream IV SIGINT planes along the borders of the Ukraine and Belarus.

That NATO membership is shaping up to be a lock.

I've got a funny feeling I saw them out there right when it all kicked off.

I've seen lots of news stories about Russian casualties, and in particular Russian military leaders getting killed. Interestingly, I see almost nothing about Ukrainian casualties, except for the stories about Ukrainian victims of war crimes or Ukrainian civilians getting killed in general. Anyone else notice the same thing or is it just me? It could be selection bias on my part, because Russia getting its ass kicked is attractive news to me.

I've seen lots of news stories about Russian casualties, and in particular Russian military leaders getting killed. Interestingly, I see almost nothing about Ukrainian casualties, except for the stories about Ukrainian victims of war crimes or Ukrainian civilians getting killed in general. Anyone else notice the same thing or is it just me? It could be selection bias on my part, because Russia getting its ass kicked is attractive news to me.
There is definitely a bias in the news, partly because Russian media is being so heavily censored, and western media wants the good guy to win. It does seem that there are constant headlines of a new Russian commander or general being killed to help boast the morale of the Ukrainians, and then stories of Russian war crimes and Ukrainian victims to vilify the Russians.

I imagine if RT was more prominent, you would be seeing the same news, but with the sides swapped.

It's not just you and it's not bias on your part. We're getting a twice filtered version of Ukraine's news. Once at the source and again through the sympathetic Western media...while Russian reports are largely ignored or automatically considered false.

Getting Ukrainian Army Casualties seems difficult, but civilian casualties gets updated daily but the UN Commission on Human Rights.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/news/2022/04/ukraine-civilian-casualty-update-18-april-2022

This conflict really needs some big brains to do a good in-depth LPD series or white paper on Information Warfare utilized here. The Ukrainians have done an excellent job in this department. They are definitely hurting in a few arenas, but they're doing better than could be expected.

Being inside any type of armor in this war cannot be super comforting when they're making shots through buildings like this:

In all fairness, Russian has maintained an absolute trash record with employing and protecting armor since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The only reason the T-80 got a bad reputation was because of how massively they f***ed up in Chechnya in the 90s, then their limited usage in Ukraine in 2014 supported infantry to good effect, but not nearly to a level I would deem proficient. Their use in 2008 against Georgia could be deemed notable, but of the Georgians four major brigades designed for combat, their only one that met NATO standard was in Iraq fighting with the coalition at the time and as Stalin said- "quantity is a type of quality."

The amount of Russian conscript heavy units, poor operational history of Russian armor over the last 27-30 years, and the outright corruption at every level of the Russian Ground Forces are to blame for the massive failures of Russian armor in their recent expansion of the 8 year war in Ukraine.

In the West, we haven't seen a lot of published video of Putin. The last significant one I recall was the stadium rally.

As a result, while I'm certainly not a Putin expert, it makes the physical observations pointed out in this interview all the more interesting (unsure as to the exact date, details of the interview):

Here is the video for those that are interested (I have no idea what's being discussed):

In the West, we haven't seen a lot of published video of Putin. The last significant one I recall was the stadium rally.

As a result, while I'm certainly not a Putin expert, it makes the physical observations pointed out in this interview all the more interesting (unsure as to the exact date, details of the interview):

Here is the video for those that are interested (I have no idea what's being discussed):
I read an article (lost the link) that said his Thyroid cancer maybe more aggressive then reported.

Back