Ukraine - Russia Conflict

Ukraine is refusing to meet for peace talks in Belarus due to Belarus's role in the war, it has offered other locations such as Turkey, Poland etc...
Reasonable I think under the circumstances, though a good reason for the talks to not happen at this time.

I will be happier if this doesn't happen, but I am a 'true believer' that Putin will do good on his word to deploy nukes at every conceivable target possible (including us) the point he feels that Russia and, by extension, he are beyond the point of recoverability as a non-democratic superpower worthy of respect by fear - even to harm of everyone around him if surrender is the only other option.

My larger concern is that he will conclude that ship has already sailed sooner than many anticipate, if it hasn't for him already.

I will be happier if this doesn't happen, but I am a 'true believer' that Putin will do good on his word to deploy nukes at every conceivable target possible (including us) the point he feels that Russia and, by extension, he are beyond the point of recoverability as a respectable, non-democratic superpower - even to harm of everyone around him if surrender is the only other option.

My larger concern is that very soon, if not already, he feels that ship has already sailed.
That's my concern as well. Putin has seemingly misplayed this to the point he may have no "off ramp". He may switch approach to a Russian insurgency but to what end? He's still weakened the Russian position in the world, even if he steps down. That's incredibly important and personal to him.

We'll need to stay tuned to see exactly how much the Russian people truly support him -- there are reportedly some demonstrations in Russia. Will they grow and become more widespread?

Last edited:
I don't think he'll launch, and if he tries to I suspect his orders will get lost and or misheard. At least, I hope so.

Re his support, it's anecdotally pretty low and has been for ages. My old flatmates were Russians and they said that he hasn't done anything to improve the country so many people dislike him.

Yesterday I got a message from an officer who used to work from me when she was a captain. She was on a plane to Europe to support... whatever it is we're doing there right now. It was an interesting feeling being the one back in the rear when other people are heading out. I felt anxious and uncertain in ways I never did when I was the one doing the deploying.

Yesterday I got a message from an officer who used to work from me when she was a captain. She was on a plane to Europe to support... whatever it is we're doing there right now. It was an interesting feeling being the one back in the rear when other people are heading out. I felt anxious and uncertain in ways I never did when I was the one doing the deploying.

It lessens over time but never really goes away. It's who we are, it's part of our DNA. We spend time being on the spear and now we are in a position of having to watch the spear-chucker toss that spear. Sometimes hard to watch, and hard to not want to participate.

Back