Ukraine - Russia Conflict

This is a very different war to what the west is now used too after so many years of military supremacy. We need to relearn this now before we have to do it when we are in the trenches.

Yep. Drone technology and electronic warfare are about to the change face of warfare. Pair it with AI and better power systems and things are gonna get terrifying. Regarding the use of small drones, the stuff coming outta Ukraine is something me and the guys would philosophize about in the smoke pit. It's surreal as shit seeing it come to fruition.

What really surprised me was how shitty Russia's EW arm is. Back around 2014-15 they captured some US drone jamming tech. It was all over the news. I wonder if they didn't sell it to China or some such nation, cause that tech should've bolstered their capabilities.

I agree here. People (non-specific) are mistaking bravery and a fighting spirit for tactical prowess, I think. I value patriotism and nationalism, resistance to tyranny, and the moral and physical courage it takes to engage in that fight.

I think two things can be true at the same time- I respect the individuals fighting and dying as citizens of Ukraine (my thoughts on foreign fighters is a bit different) in this war; I also don’t think the Russians or Ukraine are true ‘peers’ in any sense.

I respect the intent. As a practical evaluation of tactics and war fighting capability from both sides… lacking.

Imagine the 82nd airborne replacing the Ukrainians. Or the Batts. Or any SOF.

*Biden Voice* C’mon, man!

In regards to losing a war against a non-peer. *Cries in Afghanistan*

I don't know where you are getting your intel from, but it's not accurate.
I don't know your Russia stance.
If you really think the US Military is ready for a near peer conflict, then good on your motivation, I think that is extraordinarily unlikely, we couldn't deal effectively with with a couple of insurgencies despite the resources thrown into that fight, we literally lost thousands of lives in the GWOT unnecessarily due to incompetence. Do I think we will win against China in a fight? Yes, but it will cost a LOT of lives, a lot of which could be avoided if we did the right thing, which we won't because pronouns are more of a priority, and generals are mot much more than political hacks.
Yes there are some serious problems in the UKR military, and I have railed against them, are they peers to a NATO country? No, but they have shown the bottle to do something no NATO country has done since the 50s, so until NATO does that again, it's like a fat kid in his mom's basement telling everyone how he would be like totally kicking heads in. Ukraine had fuck all support when it stopped the Russian invasion, that was all them. Do they need western help to repel the Soviets from their borders? Yes, but Russia could never have won this without a total unrestricted war, which probably would have drawn Poland in at a minimum, so highly unlikely.
What are your thoughts on foreign fighters?
UKR military is definitely lacking but they are learning and incorporating those lessons far faster than we would.
The 82nd/batt/SOF wouldn't achieve much without the massive back up of the entire US military apparatus, put a battalion of them under sustained accurate artillery fire without that backup and you'd get the same result, do you even know one US military member who has been under sustained artillery fire? It's a very different thing to a firefight or kicking doors. GWOT was a playground.
Ok- I'll let the 2 shop know.
- Stance on Russia is here in the thread, several posts.
- My thoughts on foreign fighters are robust, and private.

Again- I think the very idea of "near peer" conflict has been completely misunderstood at this tactical level. Who we thought was a "peer" has been proven to be inaccurate, so I think we need a complete re-look on what our capabilities and strengths are, and then re-evaluate.

I understand what you mean about insurgencies; no country has ever won a COIN conflict, by any measure of success.

I disagree with a lot of what you wrote, but I think that's just different optics. Thanks for the engaging.

Again- I think the very idea of "near peer" conflict has been completely misunderstood at this tactical level. Who we thought was a "peer" has been proven to be inaccurate, so I think we need a complete re-look on what our capabilities and strengths are, and then re-evaluate.

I understand what you mean about insurgencies; no country has ever won a COIN conflict, by any measure of success

I disagree with a lot of what you wrote, but I think that's just different optics. Thanks for the engaging.
Filipino American War says different! But that took a different style and very repressive response.

I understand what you mean about insurgencies; no country has ever won a COIN conflict, by any measure of success.

Yeah, there are holes in their intel, a lot of which can be found in OSINT sources even, frankly I'm surprised.
I want to make it clear, I believe the US alone, and the west in general would perform spectacularly against Russia in a stand up fight, and probably do quiet well against China too, we have no equal. We are lacking experience at the moment (with near peer), and the poor performance in certain aspects of the fronts in Afghanistan and Iraq doesn't bode well, but I also believe that even with the inevitable mistakes to come, those would be overcome and we'd ultimately end up successful, because we have a great system that allows/encourages that.
As for COIN, I disagree with you, the British examples in Malaya and Oman show that, my original point was that COIN was performed poorly in the GWOT.

Yeah, there are holes in their intel, a lot of which can be found in OSINT sources even, frankly I'm surprised.
I want to make it clear, I believe the US alone, and the west in general would perform spectacularly against Russia in a stand up fight, and probably do quiet well against China too, we have no equal. We are lacking experience at the moment (with near peer), and the poor performance in certain aspects of the fronts in Afghanistan and Iraq doesn't bode well, but I also believe that even with the inevitable mistakes to come, those would be overcome and we'd ultimately end up successful, because we have a great system that allows/encourages that.
As for COIN, I disagree with you, the British examples in Malaya and Oman show that, my original point was that COIN was performed poorly in the GWOT.
I too believe that we would do pretty well in a near peer realm.

I think a lot of the issues that prevented us from having true success in Afghanistan are unique to a COIN operation. In a large scale war, you aren’t necessarily worrying about hearts and minds, so the kid gloves can come off a bit. I’m not saying have a grand old time, commit a war crime, but you have a little more freedom to get after it. Think of the Gulf War.

How did they get that into someone’s apartment?!
I'm assuming they dismantled them beforehand.
I know the Chechens enjoy castration. Being unfamiliar with the geography, who was the occupying force in that area?
There were regular Russian troops, and Ukrainian separatist troops, one report of a single Chechcen, but I really don't details. I'm quite sure the Ukrainians know who was responsible though.

Not surprised to see them do this. Wonder if they go scorched earth on bridges after all the troops are across, or keep some of them functional if they plan to push forward in the Spring.
So they went with classic Russian scorched earth, no surprise, they know they need time and space to manage the Ukrainian advance.

Back