US Army SOF Photos

I think that bag sucks ass, mine broke on the first movement I did (small buckle but still). I like the old ALICE pack personally.

MR did a pretty awesome demo for us a few months ago. The packs suck. I walked up Rainier with one and hated it. They're cheap. ALICE is good enough. Or if you need something "cool" tactical tailor makes an alice pack that's nice. And pretty big too.

The problem with that bag for me is the internal frame, for guys with big backs it does not fit right and tends to slide around a bit

n4cqoz.jpg
Soldiers with Special Operations Task Force - South prepare to load an all-terrain vehicle on to a CH-47 Chinook helicopter in preparation for a rapid offload during operations Oct. 1 in the Maruf District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Jesse LaMorte / Special Operations Task Force - South)

epeogx.jpg
U.S. Special Forces soldiers with Special Operations Task Force - South relax around a fire after an evening meal, Oct. 3, 2010, in Khakrez District, Kandahar province, Afghanistan. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Daniel P. Shook)

How are guys liking those MR Tactiplanes? I trialled one and didn't rate it highly.

I have one and am not impressed with it either.

Other guys on my ODA who have less experience with quality kit think they are the cats meow...

What kind of frame ? Is it the NICE frame or different ? Internal ?

Those damn things go for $685 (Civillian pricing) :uhh:

It really has no frame, it has a hard /padded back and these big cylinder things that run parallel down the back of your back.

You have to consider what it's made for and where the company is coming from. That type of pack is made more for carrying the bulky cold weather gear- sleeping bags, jacket, tarp/tent, poles... All lightweight alpine mountaineering type stuff. It's a decent pack for <30 pounds or so of gear, but put a PSC-5 and some batteries in and it starts flexing and bending and the lack of a good kidney pad becomes apparent.
Good for a hike in snowy mountains, not good for military operations.

You have to consider what it's made for and where the company is coming from. That type of pack is made more for carrying the bulky cold weather gear- sleeping bags, jacket, tarp/tent, poles... All lightweight alpine mountaineering type stuff. It's a decent pack for <30 pounds or so of gear, but put a PSC-5 and some batteries in and it starts flexing and bending and the lack of a good kidney pad becomes apparent.
Good for a hike in snowy mountains, not good for military operations.
Agreed, if I have 30lbs< of nice fluffy stuff that needs to be carried it is exceptional, however I have never had the need to do that, nor do most SOF guys. Therefore I would think issuing a modified ALICE pack would be ideal, but I don't make the decisions and go with what I have

Agreed, if I have 30lbs< of nice fluffy stuff that needs to be carried it is exceptional, however I have never had the need to do that, nor do most SOF guys. Therefore I would think issuing a modified ALICE pack would be ideal, but I don't make the decisions and go with what I have

We're in the same boat. I sat down with some other lads in my unit before our capability gurus arrived and asked what they wanted which turned out to be a modified Alice. So I made one and now its being trialled. Be interesting to see how much the company that builds it manages to fuck it up.

Battle of Debecka Pass photos

I have the book. Awesome job Sgt. Antenori's ODA accomplished that day.

Anyone know where I can find the rest of the photos of their GMVs that were shown in the book?

33sfggmvdebeckapass.jpg

A Ground Mobility Vehicle (GMV) of Charlie Company, 3/3rd Special Forces Group armed with an M2 .50 caliber machine gun driving south towards Debecka Pass. Photo courtesy of USASOC.

33grvoda394gmvdebeckapa.jpg

Mad Max, one of two B-Team Ground Resupply Vehicles (GRVs) of Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group, stops beside Ground Mobility Vehicles (GMVs) during a rendezvous with Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA) 394 to replenish fuel and munitions. Photo courtesy of ODA 394.

oda394debeckapass.jpg

A Special Forces soldier fires .50-caliber machine gun bursts to the rear of his Ground Mobility Vehicle (GMV) at the extreme right flank of the battle line during the fight at Debecka. Smoke grenade launchers are mounted on the front corners of the GMV and a gray-green Javelin missile is strapped to the near side of the turret. Photo courtesy of Pfc. Donny Lynch, ODA 394.

javelinteamodadebeckapa.jpg

One of the deadly Javelin missiles leaves its launcher during the Battle of Debecka Pass. The teams using the Javelin at Debecka scored 17 hits for 19 shots, and shattered a far larger enemy force with the missiles and close air support. Photo courtesy of USASOC.

destroyedt55courtesyofa.jpg

One of the T-55s destroyed during the battle is inspected by Coalition troops. Note the blown-off hatch and other parts around the burned-out hull. Photo courtesy of USASOC.

Source

ka0bhi.jpg

1zqbo9d.jpg
U.S. Special Forces Soldiers with Special Operations Task Force – South along with policemen from 2nd Battalion, 3rd Afghan National Civil Order Police Brigade, conduct a joint Afghan-Coalition patrol of Kandahar Province's Zhari District, Oct. 19, 2010. Policemen with 2nd Bn. are partnered with members of Special Operations Task Force - South. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ben Watson / Special Operations Task Force - South).

2vboi80.jpg
Policemen with 2nd Battalion, 3rd Afghan National Civil Order Police Brigade, watch for threats while partnered with U.S. Special Forces, left, on a joint patrol in Zhari District, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, Oct. 13, 2010. Policemen with 2nd Bn. are partnered with members of Special Operations Task Force - South to help bolster security in the district. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ben Watson / Special Operations Task Force - South).

t558go.jpg
A U.S. Special Forces Soldier entertains children in the Zhari District of Kandahar Province while on a joint patrol, Oct. 19, 2010. The Soldiers are part of Special Operations Task Force – South and are partnered with 2nd Battalion, 3rd Afghan National Civil Order Police Brigade, to help bolster security in the district. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ben Watson / Special Operations Task Force - South).

magepc.jpg
A U.S. Special Forces medic treats a neglected gash on the hand of an Afghan boy during a patrol with policemen from 2nd Battalion, 3rd Afghan National Civil Order Police Brigade, in Kandahar Province's Zhari District, Oct. 22, 2010. Policemen with 2nd Bn. are partnered with members of Special Operations Task Force - South. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ben Watson / Special Operations Task Force - South).

What uniform are they are wearing? Is that the new ACU colour? WTF happened to the Multicam issue?

Thank you. We are issuing cam superior to ours to the people we are supposed to be mentoring.

Thumbs up DoD, you rock!

Back