Violence in Baltimore

Yes.
Read that again. We are talking about the likelihood of a non-police(citizen) being killed by the police.... Not the police being killed, that would be a different stat. Why would we include police being killed? That takes something from outside of the scope of the argument and randomly inserts it.

I think you're misreading the sentence. The author is attempting to take out the police officers who are killed feloniously when figuring the numbers, not insert it. That's why the disparity drops from 1.7x to 1.3x. It's because the author is NOT including police killed feloniously as part of the control numbers.

The Gil Collar case was in the news here for quite some time. I almost didn't register at USA because of it. He was naked, unarmed, and tripping serious balls on LSD when he was shot right there on the front porch of the USA cop shop. The officer that shot him is well known amongst the student body as quick to draw on you.

There were candlelight vigils, and other forms of protest, but nothing got violent.

I think you're misreading the sentence. The author is attempting to take out the police officers who are killed feloniously when figuring the numbers, not insert it. That's why the disparity drops from 1.7x to 1.3x. It's because the author is NOT including police killed feloniously as part of the control numbers.

Fair enough.I have found the actual link after a bit of digging, his numbers are here.

image.jpg

This thread contains a lot of thoughtful (and fairly civilized) discussion related to police relationships with minority communities. With this latest high profile incident there is of course some amount of inevitable speculation but most here look to be withholding judgment until a more complete picture with facts is known. That said, I want to play the "what if" card a little bit...

Over the past few months, the media has chosen to raise the profile on several incidents. As we know, major protests and unrest have taken place in response to these incidents with the underlying premise being widespread systematic injustice in minority communities around the country when it comes to police action. However, quantifiable evidence to support assertions (on either side of this argument) appears to be fairly elusive. Nonetheless, it hasn't stopped a vocal rush to judgment of these incidents by many, including our leaders at the highest level. Many have even gone so far as to blatantly call these out as brutality and abuse (direct and intentional). Yet, as facts surrounding incidents is made known, we've repeatedly seen the evidence doesn't necessarily support what many in these vocal groups are asserting. A clear example is Ferguson, where the actual facts of the situation ultimately cleared the officer of wrong doing but, in a seemingly paradoxical version of injustice, still resulted in the officer's loss of a job/livelihood.

So, with that in mind, here's the "what if" question (and a few more):

What if the situation in Baltimore, which certainly is not lacking in its questions, turns out to be another instance where the facts do not support an assertion of impropriety on the part of law enforcement (in the past couple days, speculation has been floated in reference to this)? If this turns out to be the case, how does this change the arguments that are being put forth, particularly by those asserting wrong doing? Should it change the argument?

Should there be some culpability, perhaps even by the media, as it relates to the accused in these instances?

Is law enforcement ultimately being painted into an untenable position when it comes to their actions?

What does the endgame look like?

Well now you are using two different variables to suit your statistic. I took the variables given and in both cases showed a black male in the US is more likely to be killed by the police than a white male. That is supported by both what you posted and by what AKKeoth posted.
That was my point.
Stats are useless if you don't know how they are generated, and in what context (which impacts the how they are generated) they were generated.

I am not sure I buy the story that he broke his own spine either, I agree with others that he may be trying to reduce his time inside.

That said, how easy is it to "sever" a spine? and wouldn't it be pretty obvious that it was severed? To a layman (me) that seems like a pretty severe trauma, could you hide a trauma like that?

In my hunt for the nugget of news that disproved the allegations that Gray broke his own neck, I found this:

Sources said the medical examiner found Gray's catastrophic injury was caused when he slammed into the back of the police transport van, apparently breaking his neck; a head injury he sustained matches a bolt in the back of the van.

Details surrounding exactly what caused Gray to slam into the back of the van was unclear. The officer driving the van has yet to give a statement to authorities. It’s also unclear whether Gray’s head injury was voluntary or was a result of some other action.

The medical examiner's office declined to comment on this open investigation and said it does not release preliminary findings.

No guarantee that it wasn't brutality at the hands of the driver, but it doesn't disprove the other prisoner's statement, either.

That said, how easy is it to "sever" a spine? and wouldn't it be pretty obvious that it was severed? To a layman (me) that seems like a pretty severe trauma, could you hide a trauma like that?

Wasn't there a discussion between the docs/medics on here awhile back where something was mentioned about a spine being severed and then basically falling back into place where everything seemed fine? The patient later died by moving and causing the spine to re-separate and stay that way.

Wasn't there a discussion between the docs/medics on here awhile back where something was mentioned about a spine being severed and then basically falling back into place where everything seemed fine? The patient later died by moving and causing the spine to re-separate and stay that way.

I doubt it. Once nerves are severed they don't magically heal. Nerve tissue is one of the few tissues that doesn't really heal. That is why spinal injuries are so severe, and why evolution saw fit to impart our largest nerve with a bone capsule and a fluid case in addition.

We may have had a discussion about SCIWORA--spinal cord injury without radiological abnormality--or spinal injuries without neurological deficit that later develop deficiencies, but these are different issues.

Once she began her speech with saying something along the lines of. "I spent time and spoke with the victims family to figure out how we can find justice" I did not need to listen any longer. I am wondering, how would her associating so much with the family NOT be a conflict? I know little to nothing about what supposedly occurred, but someone in her position shouldn't be personally meeting with the family, correct? I would find it understandable if she spoke with them or interviewed them if they were present during the arrest/transport. Just a little confused on that front. Guess we will see how this turns out.

Once she began her speech with saying something along the lines of. "I spent time and spoke with the victims family to figure out how we can find justice" I did not need to listen any longer. I am wondering, how would her associating so much with the family NOT be a conflict? I know little to nothing about what supposedly occurred, but someone in her position shouldn't be personally meeting with the family, correct?
There's your conflict of interest. The FOP is requesting a special prosecutor because of her relationship with the Gray 's attorney and marriage to a councilman.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-riots/bs-md-fop-letter-20150501-story.html

4 months in her position of State attorney and this happens....she is a blue flamer on her way to the top! Next stop U.S. Attorneys office. I'm sure she is very happy to have the opportunity to take advantage of this.

MUGSHOTS OF BALTIMORE POLICE CHARGED IN CONNECTION WITH FREDDIE GRAY'S DEATH
baltimoreofficers.jpg

So.. This makes it a bit more interesting.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/240860-charged-baltimore-officers-post-bail

MUGSHOTS OF BALTIMORE POLICE CHARGED IN CONNECTION WITH FREDDIE GRAY'S DEATH
baltimoreofficers.jpg

So.. This makes it a bit more interesting.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/240860-charged-baltimore-officers-post-bail

That's why the media didn't go on about racism as much as simply police brutality. Notice that the only pictures released before now were of three white males arresting the deceased. I've read conflicting reports whether it was the female or the black male driving the wagon.

Either way, it's inflammatory reporting on the media's part trying to stoke a race war. Had it been six white officers, you'd have heard speculation that they burned crosses at shift change briefings every day.

I would not say that things are more interesting. The race of the police doesn't change the systemic nature of the problems. But let's not also pretend that black officers cannot be racist.

I've heard nothing but that blacks can't be racist because they are a minority.. Is it because they're in a uniform that allows it?

And it absolutely matters. Police brutality is not a race issue in this instance and the slugs of the world like sharpton and the #blacklivesmatter sheep don't have any more of a say than any other race.

Last edited:
Back