Violence in Baltimore

As to systemic racism- well, yea, there's a pretty solid record of proof. Blacks haven't even been voting everywhere in this country for 60 years yet! I think there is a systemic race problem in America.
Sorry.. Doesn't fit here. Don't conflated issues because you are falling victim to confirmation bias. Baltimore in no way represents a racism issue. It's black leadership and black policies that have gotten them here.

There is a place for protesting, and socially calling attention and addressing the issues. What is happening in Baltimore is criminal behavior....bottom line.
Progressive radio hosts are comparing what is happening in Baltimore to the Boston Tea Party

Makes me interested in the organizational culture of that police force.

Wel the thing that really bothered me is that my friend thought it was normal or ok. That is the issue, that it is so common that it is normal. I would never be stopped by the police and for sure would never be frisked.

I'm just gonna leave this here. Nothing of value was lost...
Gotta disagree here, something was lost. Possible faith in the justice system. Although the investigation is not over (this is important), if it holds true that he was denied proper medical care, and was injured while in custody as a result of negligence then this is a serious red flag.

Let's assume a close loved one (child, spouse, ect..) has diabetes and falls prey to hypoglycemia, through no fault of their own, and becomes combative. Unfortunately many officers confuse hypoglycemia with being intoxicated (understandably). If the subject becomes combative they may not be aware of what is happening. An overzealous officer/s could then go unintentionally too far for whatever reason (personal, professional, ect). You would expect professionals to at least contact medical support for assistance before transport. Many jails will refuse a subject that has been injured before being medically cleared. How would you feel about that loved one dying in custody? There would understandably be questions and would hope no one had malicious intent. Same issue applies here. No matter how much a shit bad this guy was, it was the duty of the officers to ensure proper medical care and exercise the minimum amount of force necessary to take the subject into custody. That is the issue here. Unfortunately the flag has been planted on the criminal that died. There is a problem with *some agencies and officers that hold themselves above the law or above those they protect. This is where the few ruin it for the many. I don't necessarily believe it to be a true racial issue (as of course the department is mixed), I see this as an issue where law enforcement is going through growing pains and sometimes is slow and resistant to change and growth.

Hope that helps to clear up the issue a bit.

Sorry.. Doesn't fit here. Don't conflated issues because you are falling victim to confirmation bias. Baltimore in no way represents a racism issue. It's black leadership and black policies that have gotten them here.
Black leadership and black issues have gotten the city of Baltimore to the point where white police officers arrested a black guy, who died under yet-to-be-determined causes in the care of those white officers, and the protests turned violent? I'm not following.

In no way is my statement confirmation bias. We have a well documented history of racism (see: slavery, the civil rights struggle) in America, and a well documented problem with police brutality towards minorities (see: Watts, Rodney King, et al). How is me saying, "The Freddie Gray issue is an example of the continued race issue in America, and here are some other examples of race issues in America" confirmation bias? It sort of makes me feel like you don't know what confirmation bias means. Unless you want to assert that there hasn't been a race issue in America, or that police brutality among minorities hasn't been an issue.

Or, I guess, if your contention is that these riots actually aren't in the name of standing up to police brutality or the death of Freddie Gray. Which, I mean, is fine and all I guess, but then you're speaking for a couple thousand people you don't know and the overall motivation of that group.

Wel the thing that really bothered me is that my friend thought it was normal or ok. That is the issue, that it is so common that it is normal. I would never be stopped by the police and for sure would never be frisked.
Never once in my life. Ever. And there were times that I was a less than upstanding guy and probably needed it.

There's a definition for people that think stuff like this isn't a problem, and can't understand these sorts of issues- it's white privilege.

"Why do you care if a policeman stops and frisks you? If you aren't doing anything, well, then you have nothing to worry about!"

You know who says stuff like that? White people that aren't stopped and frisked repeatedly over a lifetime.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zYw5SbHYVKBM.kLaJN-znQs40

The Baltimore marathon route went through west Baltimore all the way by the zoo (very near the mall that was looted) and there is no way in hell I would go there without a major police presence. Very sketchy area.
I lived in DC for 5 years, and did a clinical rotation in BMore for a month, working mainly inner city.

I am a grown man, almost always armed, and I like to think I am not a total pussy. But, full disclosure, there are places in Baltimore that I know I am not welcome and I am more than happy to avoid.

Progressive radio hosts are comparing what is happening in Baltimore to the Boston Tea Party

I'd liken it more to the French or Bolshevik Revolution than I would the American Revolution, but that's just my opinion.

A classmate of mine has the same problem for the same reasons with a couple of the local departments here (mainly the one I refer to as Spurberry). He avoids that particular suburb like the plague, because it has happened so many times. Even with a minority behind the badge, that particular suburb is known throughout the Mobile-Baldwin area as prone to such behavior.

Other people that I associated with in my high school days were also stopped and frisked on a near-daily basis; however, their "suspicious traits" had more to do with multicolored mohawks, long chains hanging from their belt loops, spiked dog collars, etc. than it did their melanin content (or lack thereof). That shit got old after a while.

Black leadership and black issues have gotten the city of Baltimore to the point where white police officers arrested a black guy, who died under yet-to-be-determined causes in the care of those white officers, and the protests turned violent? I'm not following.

In no way is my statement confirmation bias. We have a well documented history of racism (see: slavery, the civil rights struggle) in America, and a well documented problem with police brutality towards minorities (see: Watts, Rodney King, et al). How is me saying, "The Freddie Gray issue is an example of the continued race issue in America, and here are some other examples of race issues in America" confirmation bias? It sort of makes me feel like you don't know what confirmation bias means. Unless you want to assert that there hasn't been a race issue in America, or that police brutality among minorities hasn't been an issue.

Or, I guess, if your contention is that these riots actually aren't in the name of standing up to police brutality or the death of Freddie Gray. Which, I mean, is fine and all I guess, but then you're speaking for a couple thousand people you don't know and the overall motivation of that group.

I can't remember where I read it (due to the high volume of news sources I peruse while dancing the insomniac polka), but at least one of the six arresting officers was a minority officer. The Baltimore police department is 55% minority, with the bulk of them being African American. The departmental leadership is black, as well. This is more about police brutality than it is race. That does not eliminate race as a factor, but having minority officer(s) there for the assist definitely supplants race as the top aggravating circumstance.

That does not eliminate race as a factor, but having minority officer(s) there for the assist definitely supplants race as the top aggravating circumstance.
Wait.. Race or racism? Because race is only a factor in that the suspect was black.. Racism would be that the officers thought that their race was superior to the suspect.

I lived in DC for 5 years, and did a clinical rotation in BMore for a month, working mainly inner city.

I am a grown man, almost always armed, and I like to think I am not a total pussy. But, full disclosure, there are places in Baltimore that I know I am not welcome and I am more than happy to avoid.

If you were armed in Baltimore, you broke the law. Sinner. ;-)

I can't remember where I read it (due to the high volume of news sources I peruse while dancing the insomniac polka), but at least one of the six arresting officers was a minority officer. The Baltimore police department is 55% minority, with the bulk of them being African American. The departmental leadership is black, as well. This is more about police brutality than it is race. That does not eliminate race as a factor, but having minority officer(s) there for the assist definitely supplants race as the top aggravating circumstance.
I agree only if you'll assert that a minority can't be racist, and can never be racist toward even members of their own race.

I can't possibly agree with the 'this is not a race issue' line here. I'd really love to, actually, but I don't think that's a possibility.

Wait.. Race or racism? Because race is only a factor in that the suspect was black.. Racism would be that the officers thought that their race was superior to the suspect.

When dealing with allegations of racism, and claiming that all six arresting officers were as white as the virgin snow, race is a factor in fanning the rage of the masses and the posting public here. Notice nobody's talking about the traitor to the color that helped put this guy in his grave, it's just the white boys. And it's white privilege, not class privilege. Yeah, while racism would be more accurate, my wording is not incorrect.

I agree only if you'll assert that a minority can't be racist, and can never be racist toward even members of their own race.

I can't possibly agree with the 'this is not a race issue' line here. I'd really love to, actually, but I don't think that's a possibility.

I will not assert that as it is not true. Looking at the AA on Hispanic violence as Mexicans move into Compton shoots it full of holes right there. That's racism, even though there are no whites involved. Which minority would you assert has the privilege there? I'll wait for your answer.

I did not say that race was not an issue at all. I said that it was not the primary issue. Perhaps my wording was less clear than it needed to be.

I am sorry, but what evidence do you have to support that this is a race issue? Some of what you are saying in previous posts raises valid concerns. However, now it appears as if the intent is to say this issue is one race trying to oppress another. Again, this is an issue of the police mentality and culture. Where law enforcement as a whole must evolve. IE... the concept of inflicting injury on a suspect in custody, denying medical treatment, focused enforcement in an area to generate revenue or even having an agency investigate their own high visibility felony involving one of their own. Unfortunately, public confidence has been lost in the police ability to police their own.

If this had been a white or hispanic person that died, the community would not have been up in arms. That is racism from the community.

Last edited:
Back